OT: Career advice Part II

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Like anything else, copulas are what they are but how they are used define their impact. The problem is that in tail events of interest, everything tends to move in the same direction!
Well, that’s where the correlation matrix comes in; not all assets do move in the same direction, but that certainly is the case when you’re dealing with assets that are so diversified and similarly structured that they’re essentially commodities. Fattening the tails essentially lets you capture any “domino effect” among the assets. So if you use a t-distribution instead of a normal distribution in your copula, you’re essentially “when things go to sour, everything can absolutely go to hell” — to what extent depends on the parameters you feed into the distribution (degrees of freedom).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm back on the application horse. I was recently told by a lender "you make very little". With a solid MBA that was so embarrassing that it pushed me to GTFO of this place.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
job hoping is no big deal b/c all these companies turn people over. Anybody who has hired you has job hopped. What is it you do?

I know I am a little late on this post but with all due respect this is terrible advice. Companies aren't expecting you to stay 10 years at a job anymore, that is true. If you send in a resume having worked at 5 companies in 5 years, none of it being contract work, the number of red flags will go through the roof.

I'm back on the application horse. I was recently told by a lender "you make very little". With a solid MBA that was so embarrassing that it pushed me to GTFO of this place.

Good luck. Don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything back. The job market right now, although it is improving it is not great. Now more than ever it is a numbers game.

Also, to echo what NCRanger said, I'd get as far away from NY as possible. Even if you moved to a different state and still made the same salary, your standard of living would go way up.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The job market right now, although it is improving it is not great. Now more than ever it is a numbers game.
Pretty much.

Every reply I get is basically companies saying they don't have enough cashflow to add to current staff and that I should check back in 1 or 2 months.

Or as my dad once told me: "They're in 'survive' mode, not 'expand' mode"

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I know I am a little late on this post but with all due respect this is terrible advice. Companies aren't expecting you to stay 10 years at a job anymore, that is true. If you send in a resume having worked at 5 companies in 5 years, none of it being contract work, the number of red flags will go through the roof.

Good luck. Don't be discouraged if you don't hear anything back. The job market right now, although it is improving it is not great. Now more than ever it is a numbers game.

if you’re making upward moves once every 3 years when young that’s ok. If you’re moving every year for lateral jobs you’re kinda lost. No question, there are far more terrible companies to work for than good ones. Sometimes you have to jump.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Also, to echo what NCRanger said, I'd get as far away from NY as possible. Even if you moved to a different state and still made the same salary, your standard of living would go way up.

Goes for almost any larger city at this point.

Charlotte has gone crazy. I'm not talking politics or anything like that. Everyone has turned into mind numbed robots who seem programmed. I've been working from home since late February, and the way people are acting on calls now is incredible. The behavior is worse than elementary school. People are becoming dehumanized. The groupthink is off the charts. God forbid you have slightly different opinion. To top it all off, who knows if we survive into 2021.

I'm starting to look at Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Mental health and a degree of normalcy is just as important as material wealth, which may be gone tomorrow anyway.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
So I got rejected from the masters programs I applied to earlier this year (for speech-language pathology). The more I've watched my GF go through her grad-level classes and pumping out paper after paper after paper, the more..almost glad I am that I didn't get in because I'm not sure I would be able to handle a workload like she has. I've been stuck in a decent-paying position for the last few years (completely unrelated to speech), but quarantine made me realize how much I really dislike what I've been doing so I've been leaning towards just switching to a trade. Does anyone have any advice regarding that right now? BOCES was one of the few ideas I had as far as a place to take some classes and get my foot in the door, but they're not doing anything in-person as far as I know.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I got an interview. Though it was never booked. I gave a time and the recruiter never responded. Hopefully she responds tomorrow. I'll follow up tomorrow for sure.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I complain about my current job but last time I looked for a job I sent out probably more than 200 apps and got like 3 or 4 interviews. One came after I accepted my current job's offer so it was quite a stressful process. I sent out 30 between Monday and Tuesday and already have 2 interviews scheduled for positions with most experience required than I had.

Reactions: NCRanger

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So I complain about my current job but last time I looked for a job I sent out probably more than 200 apps and got like 3 or 4 interviews. One came after I accepted my current job's offer so it was quite a stressful process. I sent out 30 between Monday and Tuesday and already have 2 interviews scheduled for positions with most experience required than I had.

i would recommend starting with linkedin. Networking takes time but should be your lifestyle now. Connect with people and thank them for connecting with you. Follow their company, etc. Actually learn something about their company. Circle back months later

Do this with many people yet i wouldn’t jump into business.

Once your network is established, continue communicating and get on their bench so when some opportunity comes up they think of you.

simply sending out multiple apps is throwing a resume against a wall which likely won’t stick

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Everyone has turned into mind numbed robots who seem programmed. I've been working from home since late February, and the way people are acting on calls now is incredible. The behavior is worse than elementary school. People are becoming dehumanized. The groupthink is off the charts. God forbid you have slightly different opinion. To top it all off, who knows if we survive into 2021.

lol, that’s really funny. Thanks for sharing, had no idea.

People have lost their minds.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i would recommend starting with linkedin. Networking takes time but should be your lifestyle now. Connect with people and thank them for connecting with you. Follow their company, etc. Actually learn something about their company. Circle back months later

Do this with many people yet i wouldn’t jump into business.

Once your network is established, continue communicating and get on their bench so when some opportunity comes up they think of you.

simply sending out multiple apps is throwing a resume against a wall which likely won’t stick

Thanks.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I'm not sure how old you are and don't take this the wrong way BUT it seems that just because you have a credential, you're thinking you can automatically bypass going through the ranks.

It doesn't work that way.

A credential means jack shit without real time experience and performing with positive results.

I know it sucks but you have to be a little more patient.
I also know it's kinda tough with financial obligations but stick it out and put in that work.

If you put in your time, pay attention to the details and make it your bitch, I promise you'll get exactly what you're looking for.

Own it and make it happen!

Good luck

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So, I was supposed to have an interview and the interviewer never called me. This happened once but I got an email telling me the position was filled. I emailed the HR guy and nothing. So f***ed up and unprofessional.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
So, I was supposed to have an interview and the interviewer never called me. This happened once but I got an email telling me the position was filled. I emailed the HR guy and nothing. So f***ed up and unprofessional.

I’ve had that happen before and it is insanely frustrating and unprofessional.

A few weeks ago I began a new job, in Dallas, with a unique company; I would say it’s real estate investment but it’s more complex than that. We work almost exclusively in military markets to implement residential and commercial investing strategies that we design; we locate the properties and opportunities and pair our investors with projects that fit their budget and appetite but all of our investors are a part of our bigger picture strategy in each town we’re working in. Our investors, depending on their ambitions, are matched to properties to rehab and flip, rehab and rent, tear down and conduct new builds, or commercial spaces to build up the economy around all of the new real estate. We have an exclusive contract with the DoD for housing as well, so our investors have guaranteed rents.

I was brought on mostly for my military experience and ability to communicate our vision and strategy to our investors and things have really taken off these past two weeks. I’ll be flying to Florida twice in the next two weeks to meet with base officials and city planners. It’s amazingly gratifying to finally feel like I’m doing something that fits me like a glove. And it’s potentially becoming quite lucrative.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve had that happen before and it is insanely frustrating and unprofessional.

A few weeks ago I began a new job, in Dallas, with a unique company; I would say it’s real estate investment but it’s more complex than that. We work almost exclusively in military markets to implement residential and commercial investing strategies that we design; we locate the properties and opportunities and pair our investors with projects that fit their budget and appetite but all of our investors are a part of our bigger picture strategy in each town we’re working in. Our investors, depending on their ambitions, are matched to properties to rehab and flip, rehab and rent, tear down and conduct new builds, or commercial spaces to build up the economy around all of the new real estate. We have an exclusive contract with the DoD for housing as well, so our investors have guaranteed rents.

I was brought on mostly for my military experience and ability to communicate our vision and strategy to our investors and things have really taken off these past two weeks. I’ll be flying to Florida twice in the next two weeks to meet with base officials and city planners. It’s amazingly
gratifying to finally feel like I’m doing something that fits me like a glove. And it’s potentially becoming quite lucrative.

So in part my fault, it turns out my phone number wasn't on my resume and the HR guy wasn't available at the time. That said, if he had my number he should have just given it to her beforehand and this happened on Wednesday, I received an email to move my interview for the following week on Friday and before that he didn't respond. I had the interview and made it to the next stage. I had a P&L forecast to build out that I just finished today. Barely anything in the way of instructions and I decided to make assumptions and document them as well as rationale as to why I made those assumptions. But I have a feeling I got something big wrong and I guess I just hope she likes my analytical skills regardless. This probably would have taken me 2.5 business days. But this process, holy hell. Phone screen -> call with the hiring manager -> big ass project -> interview with an account manager -> interview with the CFO -> conversation with the CEO that supposedly won't be a real interview. Seems excessive for an analyst role and the company isn't some elite bank or tech company or some super hot startup.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I'm starting to look at Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Mental health and a degree of normalcy is just as important as material wealth, which may be gone tomorrow anyway.

A couple years ago, I was a finalist for a faculty job in Sioux Falls. I didn't end up getting the job, but I did the deep research on the area. I have never been so bummed out about not getting a job. SF sounded like just such a fantastic place to live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->