OT: Career advice Part II

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So, like many, I'm concerned about my job. We lend to small businesses. We're either geniuses or idiots because it sounds like we're not making any restrictions due to Coronavirus, while almost everyone else is.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Not particularly career advice, just needed to vent a little..This year I've been kicking myself into gear to get grad school stuff done/submitted. The wait between getting the submissions in and hearing back from the schools has been excruciating (haven't yet heard back from any), especially since I've grown to seriously dislike my current job and have been ready to move on to bigger and better things. With everything going on now I'm even more on edge about getting any sort of response in the near future.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Not particularly career advice, just needed to vent a little..This year I've been kicking myself into gear to get grad school stuff done/submitted. The wait between getting the submissions in and hearing back from the schools has been excruciating (haven't yet heard back from any), especially since I've grown to seriously dislike my current job and have been ready to move on to bigger and better things. With everything going on now I'm even more on edge about getting any sort of response in the near future.

I got waitlisted 2 or 3 times before I got into grad school.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
So, like many, I'm concerned about my job. We lend to small businesses. We're either geniuses or idiots because it sounds like we're not making any restrictions due to Coronavirus, while almost everyone else is.
Sell the loans to JPM or GS for securitization. :naughty:

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have to vent, I'm building a pretty simple financial model. The accountant I'm working on is either terrible at math or very careless. Or I'm losing my mind. I can't tell which. But I'm reading it and the numbers just don't make sense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone know the indirect formula in excel? It's not always useful, but when it is it's great! Basically for those that don't know it's another way of referencing cells. Simplest form is =A1, indirect would be =indirect("A1"). Now for something like that it's not necessary. However, there are many ways to automate it. Using indirect and the address formula. Address is basically =address(row#,column#), there's a third field for anchoring, but I believe the default is both anchored. I don't think it necessarily matters for indirect. Anyway, if you use both you can automate references. Here's a use case that I used at work:

The task: The controller was doing a variance analysis, I built (a large portion of) the forecast. He wanted to understand how I arrived at the numbers to explain the variance. So originally I just pointed at the forecast and broke out the formulas. The problem is that every month the columns have to move one over and while that doesn't take TOO much time, it's still unnecessary and the controller had me do it because he didn't know how. So I used indirect:

Basically, I cell with the file name which has to be updated if the version of the forecast model used is changed. I also created a cell with the date from last month. Using that date, 3 tabs from the forecast calculate the column number. Then using indirect and address, the sheet updates as the month updates. So all the user has to do is input the file name.

Also, sometimes it's easier to pull data from many sources, I've used it for that too when doing a project about hockey. There were like 50 tabs and I was able to easily consolidate them because they all had identical names plus a number.

Great formula that some might find useful!

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
f***in' A, looks like the company owned by my main client (I'm a freelancer) is going down 'cause of all this COVID bullshit. That's been like 75% of my income since 2017. Good thing I've already started looking for a full-time position recently. :laugh:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m at a bit of a crossroads. I served in the military for most of the past decade, a couple of years as a wilderness survival instructor and the remainder as an MP. Overall I loved it. I loved putting on the uniform, I enjoyed the physical nature of the work and the variance from day to day. I was good at it and it was fulfilling, but the military has even more interior politics and asinine squabbles over policy than most jobs.

It wore on me. For example, when testing for promotion you also receive test points for your annual review. You could do your job incredibly well, be an asset to the military but not have done anything to further your education that year and end up ranking lower for promotion than your peers; in my instance I’d already completed a bachelor’s degree and was ranked lower than someone who - over the course of entire calendar year, mind you - had completed two online classes towards their associates. Logic would dictate that if all else were equal, the individual with the bachelors was ahead of the person who was working on the associates, but because you literally get points for education that isn’t the case. Now, this is just a singular example so I’m not actually griping about this specific thing. Some years I actually took additional classes just for my own interest and enrichment despite not being in pursuit of any degree because it didn’t hurt and I knew that was how you had to play the game. I just got tired of playing the game and that, coupled with constantly moving from state to state and deploying for 6+ months at a time led me to decide to move on.

I separated in September and landed a great job as a public relations manager. I don’t hate it, but I certainly don’t love it. By no means is it a calling. It does, however, have a pretty nice salary attached, along with some great perks and quarterly bonuses.

Now that I’ve been out for a while, I miss a lot of the aspects of what I left behind. After a lot of soul searching I think I want to return to law enforcement as a park police ranger. The armed, actual police variety who can arrest people, not the guy with the walkie talkie and a go cart. It’s very much in line with what I would term “a calling” and I know I’d love it. I am definitely qualified for the job, and I’d love it, but the starting salary is nearly a $30k pay cut and, despite all the years of experience in the military, I’d come in as a rookie at the bottom of the chain. I don’t necessarily mind that part as much, but I’m seriously struggling with the decision to sacrifice such a large chunk of change. I just purchased an engagement ring for my girlfriend and we want to start a family. Money is a consideration, and while I’ve always said that enjoying my work is far more important to me than the salary, it’s tough to decide to sacrifice that much income for your household.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
f***in' A, looks like the company owned by my main client (I'm a freelancer) is going down 'cause of all this COVID bullshit. That's been like 75% of my income since 2017. Good thing I've already started looking for a full-time position recently. :laugh:
Wish you the best, man.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We just did our bills for the month and I actually have more money than my dad right now. That's nuts.

I'm proud of my progress but at the same time I feel like I just punched Superman or something. The guy was always my hero, and still is.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Now that I’ve been out for a while, I miss a lot of the aspects of what I left behind. After a lot of soul searching I think I want to return to law enforcement as a park police ranger. The armed, actual police variety who can arrest people, not the guy with the walkie talkie and a go cart. It’s very much in line with what I would term “a calling” and I know I’d love it. I am definitely qualified for the job, and I’d love it, but the starting salary is nearly a $30k pay cut and, despite all the years of experience in the military, I’d come in as a rookie at the bottom of the chain. I don’t necessarily mind that part as much, but I’m seriously struggling with the decision to sacrifice such a large chunk of change. I just purchased an engagement ring for my girlfriend and we want to start a family. Money is a consideration, and while I’ve always said that enjoying my work is far more important to me than the salary, it’s tough to decide to sacrifice that much income for your household.

Park police is an awesome job. In my old line of work I got to work with park police rangers when they made the occasional arrest and they all liked what they did. Back then they almost all left fairly quickly to become NY State troopers largely due to pay reasons but my understanding is parks is getting merged with the NY State Police shortly so it should be interesting to see how that is handled.

My advice, and what the hell do I know considering I'm miserable at my job, is if you're seriously considering making a career change you should start taking those steps now. It's a lot easier to make a switch, especially if you're considering going into law enforcement where your hours and schedule are likely going to be **** for a while once you're out of the academy, before you and your fiance have kids. Plus, in most law enforcement jobs there is always going to be OT available for you if you're up for it so if you have the time and aren't tied down as much personally you can work OT to soften the blow of the loss in pay for the first few years until the salary ramps up. Be ready though because any type of law enforcement work whether it's park police, NYPD etc. can be an unbelievably soul draining job at the moment especially if you're in NYC.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Park police is an awesome job. In my old line of work I got to work with park police rangers when they made the occasional arrest and they all liked what they did. Back then they almost all left fairly quickly to become NY State troopers largely due to pay reasons but my understanding is parks is getting merged with the NY State Police shortly so it should be interesting to see how that is handled.

This was scrapped in the NYS budget. The whole budget was turned upside down b/c of COVID and I read this specific proposal was scrapped entirely.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This was scrapped in the NYS budget. The whole budget was turned upside down b/c of COVID and I read this specific proposal was scrapped entirely.

I live in NJ so it doesn’t apply anyway. Park police are part of the state police here. I’d also rather end up in Colorado or something like that eventually, especially if I go this route. I’m a mountain man at heart, I want to work in a big national park eventually.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I wasn't laid off and I don't foresee being laid off as I'm working on one of the more important projects in the company right now, but it sucks a bunch of people got laid off at my job.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
We just did our bills for the month and I actually have more money than my dad right now. That's nuts.

I'm proud of my progress but at the same time I feel like I just punched Superman or something. The guy was always my hero, and still is.
This is the same boat I’m in. I’ve been working for 4 years now and probably have more saved up for retirement than my dad does.

I don’t like to bring up money/salary or anything with my friends or siblings, so the only person I like talking to is my dad because I know he’s proud of me. But every time I bring something up to him, I feel really bad.

Reactions: Machinehead

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So, not about me but a friend of mine. In October I signed up for a matchmaking service as a client. My matchmaker and I became close friends. Today I learned that she's likely getting laid off. It's her primary, if not only source of income, and she has 5 kids to support. I'm broken-hearted. She was productive and highly rated too and only got paid if she produced.

Edit: Just got confirmation that they let her go.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This should probably fall under the opposite category as advice but I have a video call with the VP of my company in 15 minutes and he’s a huge Islanders fan (he calls me Casey because he’s convinced I look like Casey Cizikas...) so I just threw on my Zbad jersey to aggravate him. We’ll see how it goes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This should probably fall under the opposite category as advice but I have a video call with the VP of my company in 15 minutes and he’s a huge Islanders fan (he calls me Casey because he’s convinced I look like Casey Cizikas...) so I just threw on my Zbad jersey to aggravate him. We’ll see how it goes.

Totally worth it when you get fired. :laugh:

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I also have more money than your dads.

Sadly, I will never have more money than my dad. I’m pretty sure by 33 he had more money in the bank than I’ve earned in my lifetime; I’d probably make more money writing a book about his life than working the rest of mine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad