OT: Career advice Part II

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Do most quant traders have masters/PhDs? Or is that more for quant research?
That’s more on the quant research side — but quant traders will frequently have MS FE or MS OR. Still need a solid understanding of stochastic processes and optimization.

Reactions: Filip Chytil

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I have an offer from FDM that would achieve two goals, get me back to working full time instead of on a free lance basis and give me an excuse to relocate, but the pay sucks and you’re locked in for 2 years.

On the flip side the market is really saturated for mid-level designers right now and everyone seems to want seniors and design directors. I have three Zoom interviews over the next two days, one in Austin, one in Denver, one in San Francisco. If I don’t have favorable outcomes I may bite the bullet and take the FDM two year contract and just continue working free lance on the side for supplemental income.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I have an offer from FDM that would achieve two goals, get me back to working full time instead of on a free lance basis and give me an excuse to relocate, but the pay sucks and you’re locked in for 2 years.

On the flip side the market is really saturated for mid-level designers right now and everyone seems to want seniors and design directors. I have three Zoom interviews over the next two days, one in Austin, one in Denver, one in San Francisco. If I don’t have favorable outcomes I may bite the bullet and take the FDM two year contract and just continue working free lance on the side for supplemental income.
I worked for FDM for two years so I can answer all your questions.

Yep, the pay is garbage. They’ll at least teach you a lot that you may have not picked up in school. They will line you up with interviews for companies that for many cases are extremely hard to get into.

Your pay will go up after the two years, so think of the low pay for two years as an investment.

I did the same thing as you and did my own interviews and when none of them went well, I took the bullet and it paid off.

One knock on them I have is you should never trust a word they say. Read over their contract carefully if you decide to go with them.

Reactions: LokiDog

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Well, I always try to give feedback to the ones I don't hire. The last thing I want is for someone to be wondering what they did wrong. Why not tell them what to focus on?

It helped me in the past. I hope it helps others moving forward. It's like giving to charity. It's the little things that matter.

Re: offers etc. Those are usually determined by HR, not by the hiring manager. But they look at those factors. It's almost like a meat market.

You/your company is willing to pay market value. "But their background, current living situation, current expenses and pay all factor into how companies value them as candidates." That's a rare statement to hear, unless you really, really want that candidate. I've never heard that before, and it doesn't really compute in my brain. :laugh: Companies actually taking account someone's living situation and current expenses in their hiring decisions is new to me.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
You/your company is willing to pay market value. "But their background, current living situation, current expenses and pay all factor into how companies value them as candidates." That's a rare statement to hear, unless you really, really want that candidate. I've never heard that before, and it doesn't really compute in my brain. :laugh: Companies actually taking account someone's living situation and current expenses in their hiring decisions is new to me.
It's not really new - In the past it was one of the reasons woman earned less for the same job than men. Working women were typically single while men were typically married so the men were paid more because they had families. The way it works today is (hopefully) different. If a company is hiring for the same same job in Chicago vs Des Moines vs San Francisco, each has different salary ranges based on the local labor market. I think this is what AK is referring to. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
My understanding is most salaried jobs have salary bands, and that the employer will make an offer within the band that it thinks the candidate is willing to accept. And like AK said, what the candidate is willing to accept is a function of many things, including prior salary, family needs, etc.

I’m on the higher end of the salary band for my industry and experience level. Which makes me a poor lateral candidate because very few competitors are willing to offer me a bump to come over. I’m at the point where I would need to look outside my current niche to see a significant bump in income anytime soon.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's not really new - In the past it was one of the reasons woman earned less for the same job than men. Working women were typically single while men were typically married so the men were paid more because they had families. The way it works today is (hopefully) different. If a company is hiring for the same same job in Chicago vs Des Moines vs San Francisco, each has different salary ranges based on the local labor market. I think this is what AK is referring to. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

Yeah, I was just told last week that geography is taken into account.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just had an interview. I feel like his biggest objective was to find out if I was ok that the role might be too junior for me. But it doesn't sound any more junior than any other job I interviewed for including the one from yesterday that pays 115-125k. But he kept trying to know if I actually had a top tier MBA and if I'm really interested despite being overqualified. I think the company is cool and the role seems to fit so I feel like it's a good opportunity even though he made less excited. He did sound like he was very interested in me.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I didn't consider gender but rather based my feedback on AK's rather unconventional thoughts on hiring and salary. Maybe they do things differently in Europe. Companies will look at salary ranges and geophahical and market conditions, yes, but pay what the candidates accept. To pay someone 20k more than what they asked is like woah. As a candidate, if you didn't know your value in the market was 20k more, then you should do your homework. AK and his company offering up that 20k makes them special.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't consider gender but rather based my feedback on AK's rather unconventional thoughts on hiring and salary. Maybe they do things differently in Europe. Companies will look at salary ranges and geophahical and market conditions, yes, but pay what the candidates accept. To pay someone 20k more than what they asked is like woah. As a candidate, if you didn't know your value in the market was 20k more, then you should do your homework. AK and his company offering up that 20k makes them special.

I think the top companies are top companies because they hire the best people and many, albeit not all pay top of market. My company underpays insanely (I can make 25-30k easy than I am now but also in this particular industry, 50k+ more). And as a result talent leaves the company. That's not a sustainable business model.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The company I was most interested sent me a rejection email, didn't even make it past the phone screen. Real bummer. But it was a high paying role at a company that has an amazing mission. What I didn't appreciate is getting a "no reply" form email.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
When it rains in pours. Got a small PE firm interview. I know the huge PE firms are insanely difficult to get into particularly if you're involved on the investment side but this company has people from good schools, which is how I measure how desirable a role is before interviewing, haha.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well boys, you’re looking at an inaugural Kraken fan. Well, not really, but I just accepted a design role in Eastern Washington. It’s actually about a 6 hour drive to Seattle, but I’m sure I’ll make it to a game or two.

Congrats!!!!! You deserve it man. Is that the one you were kind of going back and worth on or something new?

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Congrats!!!!! You deserve it man. Is that the one you were kind of going back and worth on or something new?

Thank you! This came somewhat out of left field. I’d had a great conversation with them a few weeks back and then heard nothing. Tuesday evening I heard from their senior recruiter asking me to do an overnight design challenge, basically redesigning one of their existing pages in word press and submit it the following morning. I had a great conversation with the lead designer yesterday evening and then another with the COO today and they made the offer on the spot. Negotiated a 10% bump on the initial offer and now, as I sit here, I have the official offer letter open and I’m just combing through it. Salary isn’t quite where I wanted it to be, but it’s in the range I had in mind and I feel like the company is a great fit and I’m going to be happy up in Washington. Quality of life and cost of living are both factors.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you! This came somewhat out of left field. I’d had a great conversation with them a few weeks back and then heard nothing. Tuesday evening I heard from their senior recruiter asking me to do an overnight design challenge, basically redesigning one of their existing pages in word press and submit it the following morning. I had a great conversation with the lead designer yesterday evening and then another with the COO today and they made the offer on the spot. Negotiated a 10% bump on the initial offer and now, as I sit here, I have the official offer letter open and I’m just combing through it. Salary isn’t quite where I wanted it to be, but it’s in the range I had in mind and I feel like the company is a great fit and I’m going to be happy up in Washington. Quality of life and cost of living are both factors.

How long did the design challenge take to do? Some of these assignments are brutal.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
How long did the design challenge take to do? Some of these assignments are brutal.

It took me about 4 hours, but I also had to familiarize myself with the word press interface and plug-ins they’re using because I don’t typically design inside of a CMS. I use design tools like Figma. But I feel there’s a good fit with the company and once I found my groove with WP I knew what I wanted to do immediately.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It took me about 4 hours, but I also had to familiarize myself with the word press interface and plug-ins they’re using because I don’t typically design inside of a CMS. I use design tools like Figma. But I feel there’s a good fit with the company and once I found my groove with WP I knew what I wanted to do immediately.

Well, good luck. I'm having some positive traction as well so hopefully I'll join you soon in the new job club.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have at least 3 more interviews promised from today, plus one tomorrow that's been that's been booked. Kind of tired but hopefully this process ends successfully!

Reactions: Irishguy42

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have at least 3 more interviews promised from today, plus one tomorrow that's been that's been booked. Kind of tired but hopefully this process ends successfully!

If you want, you can always reach out to me and we can have a video call to go over some things. Maybe I can give you some pointers that could help?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Well boys, you’re looking at an inaugural Kraken fan. Well, not really, but I just accepted a design role in Eastern Washington. It’s actually about a 6 hour drive to Seattle, but I’m sure I’ll make it to a game or two.

Congrats! I went to undergrad out in Walla Walla, WA. Where will you be living?
It's truly beautiful out there, underrated. A climate like Southern Spain, with lots of wine, mountains, rivers, and easy going people.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
My understanding is most salaried jobs have salary bands, and that the employer will make an offer within the band that it thinks the candidate is willing to accept. And like AK said, what the candidate is willing to accept is a function of many things, including prior salary, family needs, etc.

I’m on the higher end of the salary band for my industry and experience level. Which makes me a poor lateral candidate because very few competitors are willing to offer me a bump to come over. I’m at the point where I would need to look outside my current niche to see a significant bump in income anytime soon.

This is 100% true btw. At most big companies, every position will be graded for salary AND location. So Job A will pay $50k-$70k in Chicago, $55k-80k in Boston, etc. Prior salary, experience, and other factors will determine what you get offered within the salary range. Once you get near the top, you can get capped out, even if you jump ship to a competitor.

As for what AK said about family needs driving your salary, while that's true as far as what you'll expect as a candidate, I've never seen that taken into account in the US unless you are friends with the hiring manager or something. It rarely comes up, and technically asking about their living situation could get you in hot water (ie, you can't ask someone if they plan to have kids, etc.). The rules may be different in Europe but don't expect to get a higher offer because you told the hiring manager you are trying to put two kids through college.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Congrats! I went to undergrad out in Walla Walla, WA. Where will you be living?
It's truly beautiful out there, underrated. A climate like Southern Spain, with lots of wine, mountains, rivers, and easy going people.

Walla Walla is basically Washington wine country, isn’t it? I’ll be up near Mead, right on the Idaho border. I was stationed at Fairchild, just west of Spokane several years ago so I know the area a bit. I love it up there. Great fit for my fiancé and I. We’ll never spend a weekend indoor again.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Walla Walla is basically Washington wine country, isn’t it? I’ll be up near Mead, right on the Idaho border. I was stationed at Fairchild, just west of Spokane several years ago so I know the area a bit. I love it up there. Great fit for my fiancé and I. We’ll never spend a weekend indoor again.

Exactly. Wineries galore, right off the columbia. Sounds like you're familiar with it all. If you didn't get the chance while you were last in Spokane though, definitely find a way to spend a weekend at Coeur d'Alene, just on the other side of the Idaho border.

I've been in Chicago the last three years, and it's a nice city, big with good opportunities, but I can't tell you how much I miss that mild, sunny climate, the quiet, friendly vibes, and starlit skies! I'm truly jealous. (you might even consider checking out a Flames game if Seattle doesn't float your boat)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad