OT: Career advice Part II

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Ah I'd imagine the bonus structure is quite different for you then but any major effects related to COVID?
Indirectly, yes, as my company specializes in renewable power. Profitability was unimpressive last year due to reduced industrial activity and shit hydro.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So interviewed for a job on Wednesday, I thought I sucked pretty bad but also I wasn't overly excited about the company, seemed pretty small time. The positive is that I'll be the only finance guy there which means that as it grows I may build out a team and have some interesting responsibilities. But I'd rather work for a larger company. Anyway, the next day I got an interview request from a company that's huge and in financial services. I'm much more excited about that role. But despite not thinking the interview went well today I got a connection request today from a partner which I think is a positive sign. But I want to go through the interview process with the other company. I thought I'd have more time because I was told there's another round with the partners and that may still work out if that's the case. But if they give me an offer I won't have time to interview with the other company.

Something similar happened to me before. I was out of work for a year and I JUST got an offer at a company that I wasn't crazy about for a role I knew nothing about. And I had an interview for a much better role. But I was without work for a year and I ended up canceling the interview and taking the role. It was the worst job I've ever had.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
I just moved out of the city because I will now be a full time tele commuter - any advice for a work truck? needs plowing capability and 4/4 for snow - i know zilch about trucks

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just had one of my better interviews. It was a big wig so most of it was me asking him questions. It was a bit unsettling in the beginning because I didn't think I had enough questions. But it worked out. I think it went pretty well. I have another one tomorrow with another big wig. I hope that will be it because I might have an offer midweek with another company and I want to have two offers to choose from. Of course I could have zero as well.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I just moved out of the city because I will now be a full time tele commuter - any advice for a work truck? needs plowing capability and 4/4 for snow - i know zilch about trucks

Some type of Ford, likely.

F250 seems to be a popular plow truck. Though the 2500 Ram and the 2500 Silverado are also great options. I am partial to Chevy over Ford, generally, but YMMV. You'll want to debate gas vs diesel, though, and I am no real help there.

Reactions: Whoot Whoot

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
So I'm trying to hard switch to IT from my previous field of work I was/am in (special needs) and I'm kind of at a loss of where to start/go. The plan I've pieced together has been to get some CompTIA certifications (A+, networking, cloud were gonna be the first to focus on) and it looks like getting a help desk job is my only real option when having no real hands-on IT experience. Would anyone be able to offer any direction/pointers regarding what I should be aiming for (certifications, gaining experience, jobs)?

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
A mid spec used diesel Ford will last you a good 20 years even with snow, grit and salt and is a decent low running cost vehicle, especially if you do a lot of miles. Please for the love of all that's holy, don't overspend or get a 96 month lease on a luxury truck or a high HP truck. Run a cheapish vehicle to astronomical miles or clean it up and sell it on, but keep your original spend low and you'll make out well financially. I've lost the least amount of money on a used diesel truck than on any other vehicle I've ran.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Looks like I will be leaving Vienna and Austria behind after 4 years. I was approached by a different company a few weeks ago through LinkedIn. Normall I don't bother responding but for some reason, I did this time. Just to hear them out.

The offer they made me was generous and good enough for me to at least take it into consideration. This week I accepted the offer and I'm moving to Dublin, Ireland in 2 months. It'll be my 2nd relocation in 4 years and 4th in the last 15. Wherever the job takes you, right?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Looks like I will be leaving Vienna and Austria behind after 4 years. I was approached by a different company a few weeks ago through LinkedIn. Normall I don't bother responding but for some reason, I did this time. Just to hear them out.

The offer they made me was generous and good enough for me to at least take it into consideration. This week I accepted the offer and I'm moving to Dublin, Ireland in 2 months. It'll be my 2nd relocation in 4 years and 4th in the last 15. Wherever the job takes you, right?
Your really going to love everything about Dublin except the weather. Can get a bit dreary. I have family in Killarney I visit from time to time. Ireland is a wonderful place.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I grew up in the Netherlands. Dreary weather is not new to me :laugh:
Hah perfect you’ll fit right in! People are great especially in surrounding towns. Food is pretty good not the best. People and the scenery can’t be beat. Country is beautiful and everyone so damn accommodating and friendly. You already being a Norseman will fit right in.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hah perfect you’ll fit right in! People are great especially in surrounding towns. Food is pretty good not the best. People and the scenery can’t be beat. Country is beautiful and everyone so damn accommodating and friendly. You already being a Norseman will fit right in.

I've been to Dublin a few times, I have friends who live there. So the adjustment shouldn't be a problem. It's a shame I am leaving Vienna after 4 years. It's a great city, beautiful location and my German is finally at a level where I can comfortably speak throughout the day haha.

But this opportunity is great, and my girlfriend will be happy in Dublin as well, being just a 6-hour flight from NY, and having family in Cork. It's just the perfect timing in more ways than 1

Reactions: ecemleafs

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've been to Dublin a few times, I have friends who live there. So the adjustment shouldn't be a problem. It's a shame I am leaving Vienna after 4 years. It's a great city, beautiful location and my German is finally at a level where I can comfortably speak throughout the day haha.

But this opportunity is great, and my girlfriend will be happy in Dublin as well, being just a 6-hour flight from NY, and having family in Cork. It's just the perfect timing in more ways than 1

Plus you're leaving the "kidnap and enslave a child" capital of the world for the whiskey capital of the world. :sarcasm:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
The past few weeks I’ve been in three rounds of interviews for this company.

The first interview went well, and the next two I kind of stumbled a bit on some coding questions. I was clearly nervous and was rushing my way through them. But for whatever reason, I keep getting a follow up round of interviews with the company.

I’m very confused. Does anyone in IT who does interviews have any idea why I’d get another round, when I’m not being modest, I really don’t think I should have gotten this third round interview, and now I’m about to get a fourth.

We definitely get along and I think I’d be a right fit, but only having 5 years experience, them originally looking for a more senior-level candidate, and not doing well on the coding questions yet still making it further in the interview process is throwing me off.

Could they be doing the recruiter a favor by giving me more rounds just so I get practice, only to not give me the job and already having made up their mind after the second round?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The past few weeks I’ve been in three rounds of interviews for this company.

The first interview went well, and the next two I kind of stumbled a bit on some coding questions. I was clearly nervous and was rushing my way through them. But for whatever reason, I keep getting a follow up round of interviews with the company.

I’m very confused. Does anyone in IT who does interviews have any idea why I’d get another round, when I’m not being modest, I really don’t think I should have gotten this third round interview, and now I’m about to get a fourth.

We definitely get along and I think I’d be a right fit, but only having 5 years experience, them originally looking for a more senior-level candidate, and not doing well on the coding questions yet still making it further in the interview process is throwing me off.

Could they be doing the recruiter a favor by giving me more rounds just so I get practice, only to not give me the job and already having made up their mind after the second round?

Where's the role and how desirable is the company?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Where's the role and how desirable is the company?
Software developer at a hedge fund I never heard of in the financial district.

The downside of working at hedge funds as a software developer is that although they invest in technology for obvious reasons, it’s really a slow process to bring on some new tools, and at the end of the day, they care more about working software than pretty/fancy software that’s more maintainable. So it gets pretty f***ing boring.

The upside is that these roles pay really well and I’m not quite sure as to why.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Software developer at a hedge fund I never heard of in the financial district.

The downside of working at hedge funds as a software developer is that although they invest in technology for obvious reasons, it’s really a slow process to bring on some new tools, and at the end of the day, they care more about working software than pretty/fancy software that’s more maintainable. So it gets pretty f***ing boring.

The upside is that these roles pay really well and I’m not quite sure as to why.

Don't Hedge Funds now do a lot of algorithmic trading?

Reactions: CasusBelli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad