Card collecting

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I collected cards for 3 years when I was younger. I have upper deck '90-'91 to '92-'93 full sets plus a bunch of doubles. I know these collections are very popular as most kids started collecting in the early 90's. I've recently grabbed all my cards from my parents house and and thinking about getting back into it. After looking around my area (Guelph, ON) I noticed the only card shop in town has closed down.

So other than card shops, where's the best place to buy cards? Is it really worth buying pack by pack from convenience/department stores? Where's the best place to buy boxes of packs?

Gibson19

Mar 18, 2011
The internet's probably your best bet. I remember all the cards shops going out of business when I was a kid. By 2000 there were virtually no card shops to my knowledge in the whole city

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
When I was kid growing up in Sydney N.S. I got into card collecting around the 98/99 season, guess I was about 8 years old at the time. The father of a friend of mine that I played hockey with owned his own card shop...I must have spent a fortune down there haha, probably kept the kid going in new equipment. I remember another shop opening up not long before I moved away actually.

My favourite place to go would be the Sunday flea market at the mall, if there is anything like that around where you live, check it out. There are always card vendors around flea markets and any town with more than 500 people has one somewhere. Aside from that, check around novelty shops and that sort of thing. The two best places I know for buying cards, whether in packs or in boxes are a local bookstore/tourist souvenir shop and a really odd department store. You'll find cards in the strangest places, I once went on a roll of pulling awesome cards from packs at a gas station.

BamBamCam*

Don't expect great returns for your investment. When I sold mine off I was shocked to see what I got in return and what the dealer wanted no part of.

Make sure to collect sets, that's what collectors want.

roaddogg02316

Feb 23, 2004
Your best bet would be the internet. Card shops tend to overprice thei items, I remeber when I was younger the card shop guy telling me what was in certain boxes and making it off as so great, also giving me a "deal" which probably wasn't really a deal.

If your willing to wait for a dealer to ship then you'll end up saving online. I can recommend going on beckett.com and going to the Marketplace tab. And you can search for cards by player and set. I'd recommend http://www.burbanksportscards.com
Very good prices and ships fast.

For boxes of packs I could recommend http://www.charmcitycards.com
When I was really into it I used to buy off them, they offer free shipping if you buy a certain amount, it's way up there now like $200 purchase maybe.
Retailis stores like Target and Walmart have packs but those are retail so they hold different odds of getting certain cards, and sometimes not as many cards per pack as ones in a hobby shop.

As for those Upper Deck sets those were very nice. Not worth much really compared to the high dollar cards they put out now such as boxes where its like $200 and you get 5 cards, but its all about the autographs and memorbilia cards. Go check out the latest Beckett Hockey magazine, has prices for over 750,000 cards.

If your looking to start out with anything let me know. I have tons of common cards that I could sell you. Early 90s like yours up til 05-06. I can't possibly use them all.

Here is some prices as I felt like being handy and I had Beckett Hockey nearby

90-91 UD complete set $25-60
91-92 UD complete set $20-40
92-93 UD complete set $25-50

Ok I'll end my story about card collecting lol. Hopefully something is of help to you.

GLG

Jan 10, 2011
Toronto, ON
HOCKEY CARDS
1990/91 O PEE CHEE (complete set, 528 cards + Russian sub set 22 cards)
1991/92 O PEE CHEE (complete set, 528 cards)
1992 O PEE CHEE PREMIER (complete set, 198 cards)
1992/93 O PEE CHEE (complete set, 396 cards)
1990/91 UPPER DECK (complete set, 400 cards ***1st year UD manufactured hockey cards***)
1993/94 UPPER DECK - SERIES I (complete set, 310 cards)
1990/91 PRO SET (complete set, 405 cards ***error cards/rare in the set***)
BASEBALL CARDS
1990 DON RUSS (complete set, 716 cards)

HOCKEY ROOKIE CARDS
1993/94 O PEE CHEE PREMIER-SERIES II
#270 ROB NIEDERMAYER
#285 DEREK PLANTE
#290 KIRK MALTBY
#291 OLAF KOLZIG
#317 ALEXEI YASHIN
#346 MATTHEW BARNABY
#393 JOCELYN THIBAULT
#405 ALEXANDRE DAIGLE
#410 CHRIS GRATTON
#412 DARREN MCCARTY
#420 ALEXEI ZHAMNOV
#421 BILL GUERIN
#483 TEEMU SELANNE
#485 CHRIS PRONGER
#489 TRAVIS GREEN
#515 VLADIMIR MALAKHOV
HOCKEY ROOKIE CARDS
1992/93 FLEER ULTRA
#3 STEVE HEINZE
#4 JOE JUNEAU
#50 VYACHESLAV KOZLOV
#130 SCOTT LACHANCE
#159 DOMINIC ROUSSEL
#160 TOMMY SODERSTROM
#201 ROMAN HAMRLIK
1984/85 O PEE CHEE
#126 GREG GILBERT (AUTOGRAPHED)
BASEBALL ROOKIE CARDS
1990 DONRUSS
#365 KEN GRIFFEY JR
#427 DEION SANDERS
#711 JOHN OLERUD

I have those + I also have other cards I won't sell (Gilmour, Damphousse) because of sentimental reasons. I think the card market got saturated in the 90s so getting a good price for your items are rare unless u go the eBay or kijiji way of listing your stuff for sale .
Gone are the days where O Pee Chee cards came with a piece of gum--Ahh the 80s card collecting times.

GLG

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
As GLG said, I think the market is saturated. Maybe not as much now as in the early '90s. I stopped collecting around 1995-96 probably.

I was lucky in that my Dad purchased me a couple packs every day virtually when I was a kid.

My collection (of the top of my head, not a home right now) consists of the following:

1977-78 O Pee Chee (OPC) 3/4 complete set
1978-79 OPC incomplete set
1979-80 OPC 95% complete set
1980-81 OPC Complete
Every year from 1981 until the end of the original O Pee Chee - complete set

I have the first few complete sets of Upper Deck, Score, and I think even Pro Set, plus a lot of the insert sets (rookies, traded players, etc.) Plus, I also have a couple sets of CHL cards from the early '90s, as well as some Windsor Spitfires team sets.

A few prize possessions are going to hard to get rid of for various reasons, if I ever choose to do so. Gretzky rookie, Lemieux, Yzerman, Messier, Bourque rookies, among others.

I don't like the cards of today, plus they are a lot more expensive, and don't have that nasty powder coated pink gum either!

If I am not mistaken, the OPC cards from Canada are more valuable than the Topps version stateside...? The were the same card, but different name, plus the Canadian versions had french on them I think. Haven't browsed the collection in a long time!

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
I've been to gas stations all over Guelph and cannot for the life of me find Upper Deck packs. I know I've seen them here and there and am always tempted to buy them but never do thinking I'll come across them all the time.

I'm going to try Zellers tonight...anyone else know good places to buy packs?

Fleuryoutside29

Nov 3, 2009
Most card shops have gone out of business. They sell packs at places like Wal-Mart and Target now. I don't know of any small collectors shops near me.

BamBamCam*

I've been to gas stations all over Guelph and cannot for the life of me find Upper Deck packs. I know I've seen them here and there and am always tempted to buy them but never do thinking I'll come across them all the time.

I'm going to try Zellers tonight...anyone else know good places to buy packs?

The internet is the way to go now. Most of the card shops have gone to trading, buying and selling online. That's really the best way to go. I don't think Upper Deck is one of the primo card makers anymore, they made too many cards and have saturated the market, even here in the US. However, that is a good cheap way to start card collecting.

One other tip, buy entire box and not individual packs, this will guarantee you get valuable cards. And remember sets sets sets are what traders want, not the individual players.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
The internet is the way to go now. Most of the card shops have gone to trading, buying and selling online. That's really the best way to go. I don't think Upper Deck is one of the primo card makers anymore, they made too many cards and have saturated the market, even here in the US. However, that is a good cheap way to start card collecting.

One other tip, buy entire box and not individual packs, this will guarantee you get valuable cards. And remember sets sets sets are what traders want, not the individual players.

Trying to collect and put together individual sets is definately NOT the way to go. Alot has changed since 90, Upper deck is pretty much the only card maker right now, they literally have dozens of different sets, in various price ranges. You no longer collect to build a set, people collect the memorobilia cards, the jersey cards, auto's, rookies and patches. If your trying to get back into the hobby, go off ebay and buy some hobby boxes. Check out the upperdeck website to see what's new, and what kind of bang for your buck you can expect out of each set. There was also a good thread about this in the lounge, there were alot of hardcore collectors who could answer your questions.

edit: here's the thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=624502&highlight=hockey+card

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->