Carcillo vs TT vs ?

dualradius

Jun 6, 2010
Just trying to understand... From you guys that know a lot more than I do... Why do you put Carcillo on the roster instead of a talent like TT (or any talented kid in the system)?

Are they trying to give TT more time to get bigger / more experience with physical game? Is carcillo an enforcer?

If the former, I understand. If the latter, I don't.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
For better or worse, the coaching staff thinks TT needs more NA experience/age/strength to be ready to step in as a top 9 center. They do not want to disturb his Top 9 center development using him as a bottom line winger.

dualradius

Jun 6, 2010
I guess that makes sense.

Next question.... Is it his lack of physicality? Not good enough as C in own zone? I would think his offensive zone skills are good enough.

Mad Dog Madison

Oct 2, 2014
Sioux Falls
Just trying to understand... From you guys that know a lot more than I do... Why do you put Carcillo on the roster instead of a talent like TT (or any talented kid in the system)?

Are they trying to give TT more time to get bigger / more experience with physical game? Is carcillo an enforcer?

If the former, I understand. If the latter, I don't.

First, TT could not be on the roster as they do not have the cap room for him.

Second, there is no defined role for him where he would be getting the minutes needed to develop. TT needs to adjust to the North American game and there is just no role in Chicago for him. The primary goal this year is to get him ready for the top 6 role as the #2 Center, which is clearly his to lose next season.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Next question.... Is it his lack of physicality? Not good enough as C in own zone? I would think his offensive zone skills are good enough.

They have 3 capable centers right now. He's just not needed.

The kid is 20 and has never played the game on NA ice. Just relax and give it some time...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
They want TT to be a centre...not a 4th line LW...so this is the wrong question...rather it always was moot after they signed and committed to Richards...no room for TT in role of any top 3 line centre this year..Richards a 1 yr rental..TT will be 3rd line C next yr.. getting bigger and stronger and more adapted to NA style and smaller rinks. However...should a centre we have now get injured..he will be first call up..Also IF Richards struggles to fit as he has so far...then maybe they waive home later. ..by mid-year? Unless he shows he can make 3rd line click and contribute positive results and production..Gotta still wait till Versteeg gets back to fully assess the fairness to Richards of that test,I think...because so far he has shown zero chemistry or fit with Nickel and either Smith or Morin as Q has experimented with both trying that 3W spot.. But Smith seems to work best with Kruger and now Carcillo as a line 4..so I guess we need to see if Richards can set up Morin and Nickel...both have good shots but Richards seems so far out of sync with playing for them...either this takes time to gel, or Richards is expired milk who has lost a step and may not shine in the even tougher competition of the Western Conference opposition.. Again to be fair maybe Versteeg helps him out..neither he has not figured out how best to play the Q system with Morin and Nickel. ..or he never will figure it out and is indeed expired milk..We shall give him a few months to figure it all out...but if still floundering by January...maybe Q makes a chop chop of him and TT a call up? Or maybe it takes till playoffs for that switched. unless Richards shows.he deserves.to play by contributing more impact. ..his best years are behind him but whether he still adds more to our mix now at this stage than TT could remains an open question.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Personally, I'd rather see him on the roster than Richards...but that's not possible. It is what it is.

They want TT to be a centre...not a 4th line LW...so this is the wrong question...rather it always was moot after they signed and committed to Richards...no room for TT in role of any top 3 line centre this year..Richards a 1 yr rental..TT will be 3rd line C next yr.. getting bigger and stronger and more adapted to NA style and smaller rinks. However...should a centre we have now get injured..he will be first call up..Also IF Richards struggles to fit as he has so far...then maybe they waive home later. ..by mid-year? Unless he shows he can make 3rd line click and contribute positive results and production..Gotta still wait till Versteeg gets back to fully assess the fairness to Richards of that test,I think...because so far he has shown zero chemistry or fit with Nickel and either Smith or Morin as Q has experimented with both trying that 3W spot.. But Smith seems to work best with Kruger and now Carcillo as a line 4..so I guess we need to see if Richards can set up Morin and Nickel...both have good shots but Richards seems so far out of sync with playing for them...either this takes time to gel, or Richards is expired milk who has lost a step and may not shine in the even tougher competition of the Western Conference opposition.. Again to be fair maybe Versteeg helps him out..neither he has not figured out how best to play the Q system with Morin and Nickel. ..or he never will figure it out and is indeed expired milk..We shall give him a few months to figure it all out...but if still floundering by January...maybe Q makes a chop chop of him and TT a call up? Or maybe it takes till playoffs for that switched. unless Richards shows.he deserves.to play by contributing more impact. ..his best years are behind him but whether he still adds more to our mix now at this stage than TT could remains an open question.

Richards has a NMC so they can't waive him.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think the Hawks are doing it more for Teuvo than for themselves. They probably don't want him to get overwhelmed by the pressure and expectations. I would be surprised if he isn't a fulltime member of the Hawks come spring. They would need to open up some cap-space to do that, but that shouldn't be too hard.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Chicago is in a position that they don't need to fast track their blue chip prospects and can have them get big minutes and develop in the AHL. It's hard to crack the top 6 on the Hawks and TT would be wasted on the bottom 6. The organization has a clear idea on the roles they want their players to have and what the need is.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
why waste Teräväinens time on the 4th line starting about every shift in the D Zone? His time will come soon. He is 1 longtime injury away from the NHL.

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL
When we drafted him we had a "slow burn" development in mind for him I think but after WJC he turned heads and made the hawks think he might be ready sooner. I'm not so sure he'd be the first call up from Rockford though. I feel like Q will try some other guys at C before he calls up TT.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
When we drafted him we had a "slow burn" development in mind for him I think but after WJC he turned heads and made the hawks think he might be ready sooner. I'm not so sure he'd be the first call up from Rockford though. I feel like Q will try some other guys at C before he calls up TT.

I don't think the plan changed after TT's good WJC tournament. Hawks were always going to take their time with him. It was only the media that started the whole hype thing and penciled him in as the surefire 2C.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
To this point, Carcillo has more than earned his spot in the lineup.

I would say that Richards should be on notice.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
To this point, Carcillo has more than earned his spot in the lineup.

I would say that Richards should be on notice.

I agree. His leash should be short, but to this point he's been a welcome addition to the roster and has played well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad