GDT: carbuf

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I don’t follow baseball at all. But seeing the hurricanes, as in the relocated forever .500 whalers who teetered on the edge of getting relocated again because they spent so little on their roster that no one cared to watch them for almost a decade, being compared to the New York freaking Yankees in terms of expectations is truly something
That’s exactly my point. It is strange to me to see similiar anger in the Canes fanbase as the Yankees fanbase. Near Cup or bust expectations is odd to me, but perhaps I just follow sports differently than a lot of people.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
That’s exactly my point. It is strange to me to see similiar anger in the Canes fanbase as the Yankees fanbase. Near Cup or bust expectations is odd to me, but perhaps I just follow sports differently than a lot of people.
I feel like the people who get vocal online probably tend to get vocal about everything that upsets them online.

To me it’s just entertainment, I’ll watch whether they’re good or bad. Though I’d probably check out if I was a Yotes fan. Obviously winning is more entertaining but there are 31 other teams trying to win as well and it’s a long damn season. Shit happens. In the end it’s just a game.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Not many NHL teams (probably none) could withstand losing two of their top goal scorers. I think the Canes with a healthy Patches and Svech would’ve had as good a chance as any non-Boston team of making it out of the East. Injury bug simply bit hard this year, and now the major question is whether they win one series or none.

That said, the power play has been bad for years, and I wanted to see it overhauled after last season. Hopefully it finally gets a shakeup this off-season.
While losing Svetch is a huge loss offensively, we need to stop using Patches in the same way as a "lost top 6 player"...he literally played 5 games for us. We were fine before so while he was a nice temp boost, it shouldn't have had much negative net effect...it's a piss poor excuse to latch onto

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
kind of embarrassing tbh.

but whatever. enough negativity in the world without wallowing in it here. imma enjoy watching these fellas no matter what, and if y'all wanna cry, go on ahead. i'll be somewhere else.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
While losing Svetch is a huge loss offensively, we need to stop using Patches in the same way as a "lost top 6 player"...he literally played 5 games for us. We were fine before so while he was a nice temp boost, it shouldn't have had much negative net effect...it's a piss poor excuse to latch onto
Yea it’s terrible to consider him a top 6 loss when he was pencilled in there after the trade. Its like he was only acquired for LTIR space

Reactions: A Star is Burns

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Any thoughts on the Chat retaliation penalty that resulted in a Buffalo PP that resulted in a goal that contributed to a 1 goal loss in a very important game? That did show toughness and grit, so I guess it was worth it?

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Any thoughts on the Chat retaliation penalty that resulted in a Buffalo PP that resulted in a goal that contributed to a 1 goal loss in a very important game? That did show toughness and grit, so I guess it was worth it?
As I recall there should have been a Sabre corresponding penalty since their player dropped his gloves. Ref incompetence.

Btw: Rod got a bench minor as well.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
You mean the yet again missed call on the dropped gloves? At some point, you need to make the penalty count

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
As I recall there should have been a Sabre corresponding penalty since their player dropped his gloves. Ref incompetence.

Btw: Rod got a bench minor as well.

You mean the yet again missed call on the dropped gloves? At some point, you need to make the penalty count

Is dropping the gloves in and of itself a penalty if there isn't a fight? It seems to come under the "Fisticuffs" rule, so if there's no fisticuffs? And if the altercation was considered Fisticuffs, would they have weighed that against Chat's actions, which could be argued violated a couple of the other criteria they list as defining the instigator?

Rule 56 Fisticuffs
An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.
The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant. A player must be deemed the aggressor when he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself.
An altercation is a situation involving two players, with at least one to be penalized.

A major penalty shall be imposed on any player who fights.

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor pen-alty, a major for fighting and a ten minute misconduct.

Regardless of whether the dropped gloves were a missed call or not, that was out of the Canes control. Chat's response (and the subsequent bench minor) were not. Just pointing out that retaliation can come at a cost. Don't know how you weigh the potential benefit vs. the costs, which are sometimes measurable like last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad