CAR vs SJ - Legendary Corsi Battle on Friday

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Please update the stats in the OP after the game. It'll be interesting to see if one team rises to the top. I want to see all Carolina in spots 1-9, all SJ in spots 11-19 and lonely OEL sandwiched between them at #10.

San Jose will lose the Corsi battle but win the game. HFBoards will explode.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
San Jose will lose the Corsi battle but win the game. HFBoards will explode.

It probably would, but shouldn't.

Carolina takes a lot of shots because they aren't as talented as other top teams so need their work their asses off, aggressively pursue the puck, create havoc and throw pucks at the net to have a chance. They don't have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang...or Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Carlson where they can dominate on the PP or turn it on and score goals at ES when they need to.

SJ has much more scoring skill and can score quickly (as shown last night). Even though they are taking lots of shots right now, they have the skill to score on lower shot volume.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
It probably would, but shouldn't.

Carolina takes a lot of shots because they aren't as talented as other top teams so need their work their asses off, aggressively pursue the puck, create havoc and throw pucks at the net to have a chance. They don't have Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang...or Ovi, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Carlson where they can dominate on the PP or turn it on and score goals at ES when they need to.

SJ has much more scoring skill and can score quickly (as shown last night). Even though they are taking lots of shots right now, they have the skill to score on lower shot volume.

Aww shucks man, you're not giving your team enough credit. Yea you don't have that superstar or that lethal PP but the sum is greater than any individual. Your team won't be chasing the puck. Winning a faceoff or getting the puck off of Staal will be a challenge for us, and you guys will possess the puck alot with the skill you have in your young forwards and that absolutely solid and confident d-group. Should be a really fun game.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aww shucks man, you're not giving your team enough credit. Yea you don't have that superstar or that lethal PP but the sum is greater than any individual. Your team won't be chasing the puck. Winning a faceoff or getting the puck off of Staal will be a challenge for us, and you guys will possess the puck alot with the skill you have in your young forwards and that absolutely solid and confident d-group. Should be a really fun game.

Oh, I think it should be a fun game, but it won't surprise me if the Canes outshoot SJ and still lose, that's all I'm saying.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
If I had to explain to someone what HFBoards was all about, I'd point them to this thread.

"It's not about winning or losing. It's about more than that. It's about playing hockey the right way."

"You mean winning?"

"No, stupid. That's such a simplistic way of looking at it. It's about creating the conditions to win."

"You mean, winning?"

"No, that's not it at all. Winning doesn't mean you'll win tomorrow, or the next day. You have to dominate the possession battle."

"In order to win the game?"

"Think of it as a short-term investment in your style of hockey to obtain long-term results."

"So, you'll win later? But not now?"

"You can win now, but not later, not if you don't play right."

"But if you play right, you win, though?"

"Not necessarily. You can win the hockey game but lose the hockey game in the grander scheme, so to speak."

"Do I want my team to win the game?"

"No. Absolutely not. It proves nothing."

"What do I want?"

"See, now you're getting it."

This is one of the best posts I’ve ever seen on this site :laugh:

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Correlation between corsi and winning is an unproven theory.

Two last cup champs were terrible corsi-teams by choice, not because they had terrible support crew for their superstar-power.

Trotz said it himself last year. Their advanced stats looked terribad because their gameplan was opposite of what the advanced stats were for. Caps chose to take less shots, and had no problem giving in puck control and "low-danger" shots for the opponent.

Hockey is always evolving and Caps and Pens decided to give the corsi and puck control away and concentrate on 'fast' trap/counter strategy. It worked. Now someone needs to outwork that one.

That being said, is it friday yet? Cant wait to see the 'El Corsico'!! It should be a good game between two hot teams.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I love how corsi lovers says corsi in the playoffs doesn't matter, because the sample size is too small. Yet, corsi lovers are talking about corsi less than 10 games into the regular season.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
A legendary corgi battle! I hope they invite OEL, the lonely desert corgi...

maxresdefault.jpg

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Aho is a superstar in the making

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Both teams need to start - what's the word again - oh, ya ... scoring. Despite their Corsi and shots/game heroics, the Sharks and Canes are 9th and 15th respectively in goals/game.

Whatever. I'll be glued to this one. My Sharks against a team I've grown to enjoy. Let the track meet begin!

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I seriously just awoke from a dream where, in the dream, I was re-living a (fictional) pre-season matchup between the two teams. The Canes scored and then somehow the Canes goaltender removed his skates and then stood on the hamstrings of a face-down Logan Couture. Things got rough after this and players began fighting; the biggest part that I can remember from this fight occurred when a Hurricanes player accidentally punched Justin Williams in the face and knocked him out.
LMAOOOO

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Dont have that superstar???
220px-Sebastian_Aho_2016.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad