GDT: CAR - TBL

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
For once I want this Svech fella to come in and put up points. We are un desperate need of an impact now draft pick.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
My random and worthless thoughts from Preseason Game No. 1:
  • Andrei Svechnikov is as-advertised. Big, fast, smart, skilled. Did it all tonight. If he has games like this in the regular season, he'll be in the Calder race all year.
  • I like Jake Bean's game more than Noah Hanifin's. Bean picks his spots, where Hanifin just went all the time. The result is fewer "oops" moments, and more control. Especially on the power play. where I think Bean would be an upgrade on Hanifin right now.
  • Hadyn Fleury is the very definition of "meh." I would not be surprised to see him sent back to Charlotte, especially with the massive logjam we have on defense. Considering Hamilton, de Haan, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk and TvR are locks, I'm not sure that's even a stretch at this point. I'd rather keep Fora, Cajkovsky and/or Carrick if all they're going to do is watch from the press box. Bean, McKeown, Fleury and Fora would be a decent Top 4 in Charlotte, no?
  • Far too much has been made of Valentin Zykov's skating and not enough of Lucas Wallmark's. I think Wallmark's ceiling is as a fourth-liner in the NHL, and maybe a second power-play unit (where his skating is less of an issue). I don't see any reason Zykov can't stay in our Top 6 all season and compete with Svech in goal scoring.
  • Greg McKegg was really good. Seemed faster than I thought he was.
  • Pu, Bishop, DiGuiseppe were basically invisible.
  • I'm treating the goaltending like a pitcher working on a no-no.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
My random and worthless thoughts from Preseason Game No. 1
  • Hadyn Fleury is the very definition of "meh." I would not be surprised to see him sent back to Charlotte, especially with the massive logjam we have on defense. Considering Hamilton, de Haan, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk and TvR are locks, I'm not sure that's even a stretch at this point. I'd rather keep Fora, Cajkovsky and/or Carrick if all they're going to do is watch from the press box. Bean, McKeown, Fleury and Fora would be a decent Top 4 in Charlotte,

I was listening and not watching but Forslund was pretty high on Fluery tonight. Agree about Pu, Bishop had some Chances but Phil assisted on Svech’s goal. If that’s invisible I’ll take invisible Phil all night.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
  • Andrei Svechnikov is as-advertised. Big, fast, smart, skilled. Did it all tonight. If he has games like this in the regular season, he'll be in the Calder race all year.
Agree
  • I like Jake Bean's game more than Noah Hanifin's. Bean picks his spots, where Hanifin just went all the time. The result is fewer "oops" moments, and more control. Especially on the power play. where I think Bean would be an upgrade on Hanifin right now.
Agree and disagree. Bean has a better knack offensively and does pick his spots better, particularly on the PP. Looked very good there. He also seemed to hit the passes sooner (related to picking spots) vs. skating it as much as Hanifin did. He struggled when he had a lot of pressure on him though and deep in his own zone. Coughing the puck up a few time and a few risky passes that he may not get away with in regular season. 1 game sample though.
  • Hadyn Fleury is the very definition of "meh." I would not be surprised to see him sent back to Charlotte, especially with the massive logjam we have on defense. Considering Hamilton, de Haan, Slavin, Pesce, Faulk and TvR are locks, I'm not sure that's even a stretch at this point. I'd rather keep Fora, Cajkovsky and/or Carrick if all they're going to do is watch from the press box. Bean, McKeown, Fleury and Fora would be a decent Top 4 in Charlotte, no?
Yeah, Fleury is pretty bland, but I think that's what they were probably trying for here though. I think he and TVR faced off against Kucherov/Stamkos a lot more tonight? (don't have the numbers but it seemed that way), so it was more about defense. I think they fared pretty well given the situation they were in. That said, if Pesce is ready and Faulk is on the team, Fleury seems like the easy choice to send down as he is waiver exempt.
  • Far too much has been made of Valentin Zykov's skating and not enough of Lucas Wallmark's. I think Wallmark's ceiling is as a fourth-liner in the NHL, and maybe a second power-play unit (where his skating is less of an issue). I don't see any reason Zykov can't stay in our Top 6 all season and compete with Svech in goal scoring.
Agree.
Agree - he was all over the place tonight. Geekie also was pretty noticeable.
I thought PDG did fine. He was more noticeable early than later in the game though. Still, I expect he's going to be a 13th/14th forward guy.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Good analysis here although I thought Pu had a good game.

I like Jake Bean too so far, I thought he had a good showing in Traverse City. He seems to settle the puck down with ease on the PP. I am beginning to see why Francis and co. took a chance on him at the draft rather than go for a forward.

Svechnikov is good.

McKegg is a work horse, kind of reminds me a little of Lee Stempniak.

Zykov and Wallmark have great potential to be top 9 forwards. Zykov is a physical force in front of the net, something we've sorely needed

Fleury, yeah I think his time is running out. I wasn't impressed last season either. I can see him packaged off for a forward in the future .

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad