Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Ryan Murphy inks 2- year 1 way deal with Hurricanes (AAV $787,500)

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Nice price. He has some rare offensive skills skating and carrying the puck. Hopefully he can improve on the defensive end and prove people wrong this season. If not, I suppose he can be exposed.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Nice price. He has some rare offensive skills skating and carrying the puck. Hopefully he can improve on the defensive end and prove people wrong this season. If not, I suppose he can be exposed.

I remember the hype in his draft year. Probably his best season ever.
Won't be long before he's obsolete on the Canes with their terrific blueline depth.

Good cheap signing though.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's a steal.

I wouldn't say "steal". He hasn't been able to hold down an NHL spot even with multiple opportunities. Until he proves otherwise, he's paid like what he has been...a bottom pairing defenseman at best. I think he gets exposed to the expansion draft no matter what. The catch with Carolina is that even if he does prove me and others wrong and has a great season, the Canes will likely still have to expose him. Unless they sign someone else or someone like Carrick earns a spot and plays 40 games, Murphy and Faulk are the only 2 D on the roster that (a) will play 40 games (b) are eligible to be exposed to the draft and (c) are under contract for 17/18.

Hainsey and Tennyson are UFAs at season's end. Slavin, Hanifin and Pesce are all exempt.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I remember the hype in his draft year. Probably his best season ever.
Won't be long before he's obsolete on the Canes with their terrific blueline depth.

Good cheap signing though.

Ideally he establishes himself as a #5-6 with PP upside this year and eventually develops into the Canes' Ryan Ellis. Canes could use a solid, young 3rd pairing RD that brings some speed and offense to the table. Murphy has the potential to fill that role long-term. The type of utility guy that can pop onto the ice and catch 3rd pairing D/4th liners flat footed. Maybe score a few off the rush.

If Murphy shows up the Canes will find a way to keep him. It would be as easy as overpaying Hainsey by $1-2 million on a 1-2 year extension. Vegas would pass on him with all the D options that will be available around the league.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
He can play on the 3rd pair and be fine. If he ends up being a total liablity, the Canes can dress 7 D and give him one shift a game to meet the 40/70 requirement.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
There's something wrong on TSN's webpage then

image13.jpg

I was already confused because I believed that he's too young to be a UFA...

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Good deal for the Canes. Low AAV and perfect term for make or break, with the Canes at least.

That being said, Murphy strikes out to me as exactly the type of defenseman Las Vegas would get / he could benefit from the expansion draft more than the majority of players.

Carolina have young defensemen in front of him on the depth chart, and Murphy (now 23) hasn't really impressed in the NHL level. But he's talented and with a lot of TOI / freedom to make mistakes, he could eventually blossom.

The way i see it, in 16-17 he has to impress the Canes or otherwise he will be a 2nd pairing guy for Las Vegas, which i would be totally fine with. Rather have those young guys than older guys on the decline.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
But he is a previous first round pick... and first round picks are gold on HF... therefore Murphy=gold

And if Murphy = Gold, it would follow that Gold = Murphy. With gold currently at about $1,319 USD per ounce, Ryan Murphy at 185 pounds is actually worth about $3,558,662. Therefore, this contract is a steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->