Confirmed Trade: [CAR/NYR] Brady Skjei for 2020 1st round pick

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The language is specific in the Rangers release, any confusion is because the Canes side of things is much more ambigious, but really who are you going to trust to be more on top of things in this situation?

Honestly, whoever wrote the trade agreement sent to the central office.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That is typical Ranger fan nonsense. They get on a guy and ride him until the cows come home.
Look, I'm a Ranger fan, but there are so many who truly have no idea what they are talking about.
Skjei's give away sucked, but it didn't cost the Canes the game. Ned, who played well, let in a softy there.
What so many RAnger fans, who are strictly looking for confirmation, don't see is that Skjei has been really good for the Canes. He is playing with Fleury, who hasn't been very reliable defensively.
When the Canes get Dougie and Pesce back next season, they will have the best top 4 in the NHL.

Same thing has happened with many Rangers who were our whipping boy and would go on to find great success with their new teams. JT Miller and Kevin Hayes are prime current examples.

Trade away Hagelin and HBK merks us in the 2016 playoffs, trade away Callahan and he steals Boyle (who Rangers fans couldn't stand in his early days) and Stralman and beat us on our own ice in Game 7 of the ECF.

Eric Staal looked beyond done in his short stint here in NY, like he literally should have been in the KHL, hes been one of the most productive players in the league since.

So at least Canes fans have that going for them. Unfortunately I think Skjei got hit hardest by the AV-itis and the damage might be permanent. I'm not really sure McDonagh has recovered either.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
a long time Rangers fan tradition to hate on their own defensemen.

This is definitely the case. It’s just a tradition to hate on the Ds. A forward misses a wide open net and it’s like ‘oh bad luck’ and then a D under pressure misfires a puck slightly and he is the devil lol.

It also don’t help that we are a bad Corsi team. Many loved Skjei his first season when he played on a pair with Smith that got easy usage.

From my POV Skjei has everything to be a very solid top 4 D that can skate and has size, but he has struggled some with consistency in NY/the NHL for whatever reason. And I am not saying that because he has made mistakes. Everyone make mistakes. But because he obviously loses confidence and lets the mistakes get to him. If he could up his confidence and remain at a solid level and get more consistency from that I think he is the type of D everyone are looking for in the game today. JMHO.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
This is definitely the case. It’s just a tradition to hate on the Ds. A forward misses a wide open net and it’s like ‘oh bad luck’ and then a D under pressure misfires a puck slightly and he is the devil lol.

It also don’t help that we are a bad Corsi team. Many loved Skjei his first season when he played on a pair with Smith that got easy usage.

From my POV Skjei has everything to be a very solid top 4 D that can skate and has size, but he has struggled some with consistency in NY/the NHL for whatever reason. And I am not saying that because he has made mistakes. Everyone make mistakes. But because he obviously loses confidence and lets the mistakes get to him. If he could up his confidence and remain at a solid level and get more consistency from that I think he is the type of D everyone are looking for in the game today. JMHO.

Hopefully, a change in scenery boosts his confidence.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
ITS basically Marleau contract for Skjei so should be good for the Canes but the Rangers concern was the contract may stink in 3 yrs ... kinda like when they moved Stepan

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I think it’s a pretty fair trade. But given skjei’s skill set and contract I think he should have returned more than 1st rounder. His struggles with Trouba were surprising, and with ADA Fox Lingren emergence I understand why Gorton decided to move him to get the pick

Still, this feels like a slight buy low move in the eyes of Carolina and I would be happy as a cane fan even if he struggles to adapt this season. It’s a really good contract for a top 4 dman.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
So can anyone who has seen him play with the Canes give an honest scouting report on how he has performed?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He's been surprisingly aggressive offensively, he's frequently joining the rush either leading or filling in lanes in support while often hustling to beat everyone back. Multiple rushes he lead and passed off well should've been buried and just weren't. His one on one defense has been at times very good, and overall has been solid. He's fumbled two pucks badly, and they both found their way in the net - though the second one was some pretty bad goaltending. He, like all the Canes D have been scrambly in his own end. In terms of coverage they're all blowing it so it's hard to really analyze him there. I havent seen any blatant errors from him, they're all reading each other wrong.

You have to keep in mind the pairings are completely off. He should be playing with Pesce on his left side. TVR is the only righty, and he's playing a role above his level. They're all rotating through playing the wrong side. Being down Pesce threw things off notably more than Hamilton did, defensively anyways. It's a shit show. Adding Vatanen wouldve been really nice.

He's a good offensive minded/transitional compliment to the healthy group. He's not a defensive shutdown guy, and that's probably not what he was acquired for....though the Canes in their current state probably needed more of that style to ride the storm out.

Reactions: Tryamw and cheech70

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Never really understood the Skjei hate as a Ranger fan. He is a solid player we were just asking too much of him after the McD trade.

I hope he succeeds in Carolina, when he is at his best he is a really solid defenseman with some offensive tools and tremendous skating ability.

This trade is ultimately a result of the Rangers' lack of cap space following the Kreider extension in order to re-sign DeAngelo and not so much a reflection of Brady's play (though he was likely our 3rd best d-man this year). His contract simply didn't make sense given what TDA is going to be paid and how important TDA's offensive skills are to the team.

Reactions: bernmeister

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn’t laugh at too much with Rangers defense/LD trio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->