Confirmed Trade: [CAR/NYR] Brady Skjei for 2020 1st round pick

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
"It is not enough that I should succeed, the other side must also fail" - today's dualistic, ignorant, hopeless society
To be totally fair, the NYR and Carolina are fighting for a playoff spot and are division rivals. It's kind of normal their fans hope Skjei turns out to be a trojan horse that will help the Hurricanes fail.

It might even make the pick they got for him better if that is the case.

Reactions: Kakko Schmakko

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
So I assume the Canes protect 4+4 at the ED?

Expose Trocheck+Nino at F, Gardiner+Fleury+Bean on D?

Gardiner should be gone this Summer. A soft deal like de Haan would be the best case, but a contract swap of some degree is more likely.

Foegele may be the most notable guy up front. His numbers have regressed a bit in the 2nd half, but he's young. He's a big part of how the team plays.

Skjei could be expansion bait himself. That could be part of the trade logic here as well. They're in a better situation now guaranteed 2 of Fleury, Bean and Skjei coming out of expansion.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gardiner should be gone this Summer. A soft deal like de Haan would be the best case, but a contract swap of some degree is more likely.

Foegele may be the most notable guy up front. His numbers have regressed a bit in the 2nd half, but he's young. He's a big part of how the team plays.

Skjei could be expansion bait himself. That could be part of the trade logic here as well. They're in a better situation now guaranteed 2 of Fleury, Bean and Skjei coming out of expansion.
Thanks for the reply. I know all about Foegele as he always seems to score against the Flyers...lol.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
To be totally fair, the NYR and Carolina are fighting for a playoff spot and are division rivals. It's kind of normal their fans hope Skjei turns out to be a trojan horse that will help the Hurricanes fail.

Thank you, finally somebody gets it.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

We Canes fans at least were hoping that Adam Fox would do good... for thirty games, and then fall of the cliff.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Thank you, finally somebody gets it.

Leafs are taking 3rd in the Atlantic barring some sort of disaster so you're getting that pick which will likely be in the 20s unless the Canes go on a miracle run like last year and then you're getting a lower pick. Lottery or anything close to it isn't happening.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Or a hole in the Trojan

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
We Canes fans at least were hoping that Adam Fox would do good... for thirty games, and then fall of the cliff.

I just find it a bit amusing if Canes miss out on the playoffs thanks to the Skjei trade. I have no hate or dislike of the team or even Skjei.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Leafs are taking 3rd in the Atlantic barring some sort of disaster so you're getting that pick which will likely be in the 20s unless the Canes go on a miracle run like last year and then you're getting a lower pick. Lottery or anything close to it isn't happening.

Leafs are taking the 3rd? I guess that is very likely Panthers are 5 points away. Hopefully get eliminated in the 1st. Late teens 1st rounder is not a bad spot to pick.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Leafs are taking the 3rd? I guess that is very likely Panthers are 5 points away. Hopefully get eliminated in the 1st. Late teens 1st rounder is not a bad spot to pick.

Yeah, sure. Not bad, considering you picked Skjei in last first round. Self-contradiction.

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
I just find it a bit amusing if Canes miss out on the playoffs thanks to the Skjei trade. I have no hate or dislike of the team or even Skjei.
there's a reason why the rangers were willing to trade skjei to a team they're competing with for a playoff spot, and it's because skjei ain't good. i hope carolina misses the playoffs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

If Canes miss it will not be b'c D, even compromised by injury, did not deliver.
More scoring would help, but that applies to 90+% of teams.

The Achille's heel for this club is its goaltending, esp those injuries as season closes.
However, unlike Skjjei, which is a build move with term, and fits like a glove esp since they can hope Hamilton will extend as a ufa post exp drft, no goalie was worth taking as a rental or other prohibitive cost.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Let's see the EXACT wording of the trade. Wonder Carolina is able to trade down or acquire a very late 1st and then that ends up going to NYR instead.

Reactions: Tryamw

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
Let's see the EXACT wording of the trade. Wonder Carolina is able to trade down or acquire a very late 1st and then that ends up going to NYR instead.

I don't know if they can word it to be specifically ours or Toronto's pick, I'm guessing it just says "latest first round pick in possession by Carolina"

Could easily f*** with Rangers by trading pick ~20 for pick 31 lol

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't know if they can word it to be specifically ours or Toronto's pick, I'm guessing it just says "latest first round pick in possession by Carolina"

Could easily f*** with Rangers by trading pick ~20 for pick 31 lol

Yeah, that's why I'm interested in the actual verbiage. What we know right now is that it is the latest first round pick between CAR and TOR. What we don't know is if it's exclusive to those picks or if it's some blanket statement of 'lowest pick owned by Carolina at the draft'.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Well, Boston / Tampa / Pittsburgh / Islanders don't have their first round pick, and the teams that acquired those picks are all rebuilding / desperately need prospects. I can't see Minnesota, Ottawa, San Jose, or Anaheim trading what could be a late first for them.

So that leaves Carolina, Toronto, Columbus, Vegas, Dallas, Washington, Colorado, Philadelphia, St. Louis as teams potentially trading away a first round pick. Let's eliminate Carolina and Columbus. I can't see half of those teams making a trade with Carolina for a 1st round pick after the season.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Well, Boston / Tampa / Pittsburgh / Islanders don't have their first round pick, and the teams that acquired those picks are all rebuilding / desperately need prospects. I can't see Minnesota, Ottawa, San Jose, or Anaheim trading what could be a late first for them.

So that leaves Carolina, Toronto, Columbus, Vegas, Dallas, Washington, Colorado, Philadelphia, St. Louis as teams potentially trading away a first round pick. Let's eliminate Carolina and Columbus. I can't see half of those teams making a trade with Carolina for a 1st round pick after the season.

I don't see why an Ottawa, SJ, etc. wouldn't make a trade with Carolina for a late pick if it is advantageous for them. It might also be something like CAR trade #20 OA for #30 OA + 2nd or something. In that scenario Carolina wins because they get an extra asset and the other team also wins because they get a higher pick. The Rangers lose because the pick going to them drops 10 spots.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Yeah, that's why I'm interested in the actual verbiage. What we know right now is that it is the latest first round pick between CAR and TOR. What we don't know is if it's exclusive to those picks or if it's some blanket statement of 'lowest pick owned by Carolina at the draft'.

I cannot imagine the wording of the trade allowing this. Much like Toronto's pick this year is tied to the Marleau trade, Carolina's pick is now tied to the Skjei trade. If they were to trade away Toronto's pick, I would guess they are risking having to give up their own first as a result.

There are lots of people making sure all caveats are covered in the trading of picks. See the Haula trade last year where they had to have multiple calls to clear up all the conditions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->