Trade: [CAR/NYJ] Sam Darnold for 2021 6th round pick and 2022 2nd and 4th round picks

Tvillewr419

May 17, 2019
I like this for panthers going forward, get him pitts or one of these WRs to pair with CMC going forward.

Darnold was never given a supporting cast

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Good job by Douglas, I never thought that a 1st round pick was a possible return for Darnold.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina still picked a QB at 8 (if one is available). Rhule went all Defense in the draft last year and the offense has the weapons. They were competitive all year in 2020 without CMC and Teddy two gloves doing the bare minimum.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's hard to put all the blame on Darnold when you look at the talent they surrounded him with, including possibly the worst receiving core in the NFL this season as injuries piled up.

Still an opportunity he can develop into a franchise QB.

Reactions: Voight

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Good job by Douglas, I never thought that a 1st round pick was a possible return for Darnold.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina still picked a QB at 8 (if one is available). Rhule went all Defense in the draft last year and the offense has the weapons. They were competitive all year in 2020 without CMC and Teddy two gloves doing the bare minimum.
I'd be a bit surprised since they already picked up Darnold's 5th-year option (I know there are outs if he doesn't get injured).

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I'd be a bit surprised since they already picked up Darnold's 5th-year option (I know there are outs if he doesn't get injured).

Ah, didn't know that part so nevermind. So yeah, there draft will most likely be:
1. Pitts
2. One of the WRs to fill the loss of Curtis Samuel
3. Trade back for Slater
4. Defense BPA

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

It wouldn't surprise me if Carolina still picked a QB at 8 (if one is available). Rhule went all Defense in thft last year and the offense has the weapons. They were competitive all year in 2020 without CMC and Teddy two gloves doing the bare minimum.
Yeah, real good job by Douglas. Assuming Panthers finish with around the 10th worst record next season the NFL trade point value would be ~600 points or equivalent to the 32ndOA, but for a team like the Jets multiple picks make more sense.

The Panthers need to pick-up Darnold's 5th year option by May 3, they definitely will, and be doing so I doubt they draft another QB.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm fine with this, I guess. This dude is either boom or bust, and unfortunately Gase may have stunted his development. But low risk high reward potential here.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
So, do you think we will see a Darnold-Bridgewater tandem in Carolina, or another trade (or release) is incoming for Teddy Bridgewater?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah, real good job by Douglas. Assuming Panthers finish with around the 10th worst record next season the NFL trade point value would be ~600 points or equivalent to the 32ndOA, but for a team like the Jets multiple picks make more sense.

The Panthers need to pick-up Darnold's 5th year option by May 3, they definitely will, and be doing so I doubt they draft another QB.
They also have so much draft capital this year and only so many roster spots it makes sense to push the best pick into 2022.

Reactions: Voight and AZviaNJ

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
So, do you think we will see a Darnold-Bridgewater tandem in Carolina, or another trade (or release) is incoming for Teddy Bridgewater?
i'd guess they trade teddy

not a bad deal for either side. jets get some picks and the panthers get to see if darnold can reach his potential

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I like the trade for both sides. Need to give Darnold more weapons. Get him Pitts or one of the top-3 WRs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Panthers likely still find a trade for Bridgewater, it may take until July 1 though.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I like the trade for both sides. Need to give Darnold more weapons. Get him Pitts or one of the top-3 WRs.

Samesies.

At the same time, I'm not sold he will ever become better than what Carolina currently has.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Ah, didn't know that part so nevermind. So yeah, there draft will most likely be:
1. Pitts
2. One of the WRs to fill the loss of Curtis Samuel
3. Trade back for Slater
4. Defense BPA
Don't think they can drop too far back if they still like Slater. If QBs to top 3, and you still have Fields on the board, I think he goes, along with Sewell, Pitts, Chase in the top 7. If those guys are all off the board then it's Mac Jones and the Bama WR with Slater in the mix for the next pick.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Unlike a lot of QBs supposedly ruined by inept organizations, Sam Darnold actually gets a chance at redemption. I like the move.

Carolina doesn't get a lot of credit because of their record but they're a way better team than the 5-11 finish. 8 losses by 8 points or less and lost a lot of them very late in the game. Rhule seems like he has the right idea of building from the locker room out given apparently he's been a fan of Darnold for a while;

He'll have weapons too. CMC, Moore, a middle of the pack o-line (not great but not the landfill the Jets line was for his entre stay) and a coach who clearly believes in him.

If you're the Panthers this move makes sense. You know you're probably not ready to compete quite yet. You also know that you're probably not going to get your hands on a blue chip QB prospect since you're not nearly bad enough to get one through the draft. And then you also know Teddy is not the answer. Bless the guy's heart for coming back from that gruesome injury and being a good dude, but the guy plays QB like a wuss given he refuses to throw it 4 yards past the LOS.

Reactions: Voight

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I don't think he's any better than Teddy TBH.

The only thing Darnold has going for him is that he might still develop and Teddy probably is what he is at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->