Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Martinook re-signs with Carolina, (2 years, $2M AAV)

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Love that we re-signed Martinook. That said, the price is a tad steep. It hardly matters because we are a cap floor team, but I would have preferred $1.75M for 2 years. That said, he has 10 goals, putting him on pace for 16. If he can get 15 goals, $2M is a steal. I don't think he could do that from a 4th line role, but he could as a 3rd liner. All in all he has a fantastic work ethic and is a great team player. Nitpicking on a couple hundred thousand is nitpicking, particularly when his production has been solid. He can't create a lot of offense on his own but he has some tools.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ryan Reaves is making 2.775kk. Can people wake up and stop writing 2kk for borderline 3rd line player is overpayment?

Reactions: Tryamw

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Considering he was making 1.8. And he has 10 goals already this season, Canes with another good signing here at 2 x 2. Not even a 3rd year on this contract. Perfect cap management.

Reactions: Riptide and Tryamw

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Seems a bit pricey for a 4th liner. Not a contract that will hurt Carolina though.

Martinook is not having a career year. He's on pace for 21 points and has scored 24 and 25 points in the past. Just a decent 4th liner who can play the PK and the Canes can overslot while they are being cheap.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Martinook is not having a career year. He's on pace for 21 points and has scored 24 and 25 points in the past. Just a decent 4th liner who can play the PK and the Canes can overslot while they are being cheap.
I didn't mean to imply that he was having a career year. I just thought $2m is a bit pricey for a 4th liner. Carolina isn't in a cap situation where that should effect them too much though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I didn't mean to imply that he was having a career year. I just thought $2m is a bit pricey for a 4th liner. Carolina isn't in a cap situation where that should effect them too much though.

Yeah my quote ability was one off:
Meh. That's ok, I guess for a 4th liner having a career year.

You are right, $2 million is about the maximum anyone should be paying a guy like Martinook.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
seems like a lot for a replacement level player... should give that money to ferland instead

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
seems like a lot for a replacement level player... should give that money to ferland instead

2m isn't much, the cap is rising, and Carolina doesn't look to be in a binding cap situation. I think this is a good deal for them. Martinook is that kind of player that can fill in a 3rd line wing position if a player is injured or not playing well. He was a very good player for AZ and from what I've heard in Carolina he has been doing the same.

perronist

Dec 8, 2008
2m isn't much, the cap is rising, and Carolina doesn't look to be in a binding cap situation. I think this is a good deal for them. Martinook is that kind of player that can fill in a 3rd line wing position if a player is injured or not playing well. He was a very good player for AZ and from what I've heard in Carolina he has been doing the same.

It seems likely that Carolina has an internal cap, though, considering their overall strategy since Dundon bought the team. I guess I don't see much difference between Martinook and a guy like Hathaway or Lazar, for instance, certainly not enough for 2-3 times the salary. Believe the money could be allocated much more effectively in paying good players higher in the rotation

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
It seems likely that Carolina has an internal cap, though, considering their overall strategy since Dundon bought the team. I guess I don't see much difference between Martinook and a guy like Hathaway or Lazar, for instance, certainly not enough for 2-3 times the salary. Believe the money could be allocated much more effectively in paying good players higher in the rotation
Probably is a small overpayment, but he's far too important in our locker room to not resign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->