Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] G Pyotr Kochetkov Signs an Extension (4 years, $2M AAV)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Carolina almost took him at the tail end of the first round (#28) in 2019 but were surprised when Ryan Suzuki was still available. They were able to land Kochetkov with their next pick (#36). I wonder if Kochetkov would have gotten more post-draft attention had he been taken a few picks earlier. Sometimes I think there's a bit of an artificial separation between late 1st rounders and high 2nd rounders.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Carolina almost took him at the tail end of the first round (#28) in 2019 but were surprised when Ryan Suzuki was still available. They were able to land Kochetkov with their next pick (#36). I wonder if Kochetkov would have gotten more post-draft attention had he been taken a few picks earlier. Sometimes I think there's a bit of an artificial separation between late 1st rounders and high 2nd rounders.
It didn't help him get attention that before last season he never really could hold down a consistent starting job in Russia. And even last season he wound up spreading starts across 3 different leagues because of various circumstances.

I think it's a deal that makes sense for all parties. Kooch probably could've gotten more if he bet on himself, but he'd also be betting on himself and risking it while this is a guaranteed $8M with a small sample size of games played. For the Canes there's not much risk and a very real chance that he significantly outperforms the contract. I like it all around.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I love/hate how Carolina is basically what us analytically-inclined Toronto fans were going to get when we signed up for the Kyle Dubas era.
lmao, the Canes still haven't done anything.

Love/hate is right. I'm sure you ain't exactly envious of the Kotkaniemi contract right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It didn't help him get attention that before last season he never really could hold down a consistent starting job in Russia. And even last season he wound up spreading starts across 3 different leagues because of various circumstances.

I think it's a deal that makes sense for all parties. Kooch probably could've gotten more if he bet on himself, but he'd also be betting on himself and risking it while this is a guaranteed $8M with a small sample size of games played. For the Canes there's not much risk and a very real chance that he significantly outperforms the contract. I like it all around.
He's getting backup work now. So, without arbitration rights he'd be looking at like $1.25 mill maybe per on a 2 year deal. Then, it'd be up to his performance to justify the next contract. Carolina hoping that years 3 & 4 that he'd be worth over $3 mill per. Born June 25, 1999, so he turns 26 in 2025. Buyout period opens up before his birthday, so the Canes have 2 years on this deal to decide whether to buy out his deal at 1/3 rate.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I dig it. The nostradumbass in me predicts that we'll sign James Reimer to tandem with Koch next year.

For anyone who has watched Kochetkov, the dude is a monster. He's got truly elite skill, but also is a spaz and has some flaws to work out in his game. He could completely flame out of the league, or he could be a Vasilevskiy if every single thing goes right for him, but more likely than not he settles in the middle. I think the Canes brass thinks he will be a #1 goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad