Confirmed Trade: [CAR/FLA] James Reimer for Scott Darling and 2020 BUF 6th round pick

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I don't get this trade from a Florida POV. They could have just bought out Reiner and saved charge. They couldn't have done this just for a sixth round pick. Doesn't make sense.

Saves them cap space this year, saves them around a million next year by buying Darling out compared to buying Reimer out. They just have to pay a bit more in year three and four, but next year is where we are trying to save, in order to re-sign Dadonov.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It does seems like a lot of trouble for Florida to go to just to save that little amount of money. It might be the $3.2 million cap figure (including 2.25 million signing bonus) in 2020-21 that scares them. They're moving him because of that one year rather than the total cost of the deal.

Carolina probably figures they can move him to some other team now who doesn't mind the $3.2 million next offseason, or if not they can simply absorb the hit and have a serviceable backup (or at least more serviceable than the train wreck that is Scott Darling)

Reactions: DaveG

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

I think this s partly why Florida did it. They want cap space NOW.

Plus, a Darling buyout saves them about $150k in real dollars (according to our resident cap guru on the Sabres board).

For Carolina -

it gives them a better goalie as a fallback in case their other options don’t work out,

and Reimer may potentially be a more trade-able asset, If Carolina is willing to include a pick/prospect and/or retain salary to move him. At least Reimer is an NHL level goalie.
So even though they may have to include an asset or retain money, it would save them in real dollars by not having to pay the cash to buyout Darling.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Hmmh. We got Ned timely signed and could have bought out Darling. Now with Reimer, we got four under contract. How many Florida is short?

And is there someone who wants Reimer retained and can send FLA a goalie?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Aside from the 2nd year, where it jumps to something like 2.3 million, the buy out cap hits aren't too bad for Darling.

It wasn't, I just think the Canes FO wants to stay away from buyouts as much as possible, keep the books clean. If Dundon has shown us anything, it's that he despises inefficiencies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It wasn't, I just think the Canes FO wants to stay away from buyouts as much as possible, keep the books clean. If Dundon has shown us anything, it's that he despises inefficiencies.

For a guy who threw 200+ million at the AAF, I am surprised. Seems he has no problem burning money.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
For a guy who threw 200+ million at the AAF, I am surprised. Seems he has no problem burning money.

There is some pending litigation that make it sound like Dundon was misled by the AAF's higher ups on how sound their financials were.

AAF investor Tom Dundon seeks $70M refund, alleges founders misled him about doomed league's finances

“Even though AAF executives told DCP (Dundon Capital Partners) its contribution would get the AAF through the first season, those executives knew at the time of the execution of the Term Sheet that the AAF would likely need an additional $50,000,000 (including League revenue) on top of DCP’s investment of up to $70,000,000 to get through the first season,” the filing said, as first reported by The Athletic Opens a New Window. . “The AAF and its executives never disclosed this information to DCP.”
Dundon’s filing further alleges that AAF executives claimed that the league could complete its first season using just $55 million of his initial investment, with the rest in reserve for future seasons. However, Dundon said that a review of the league’s finances revealed it had more than $13 million in debt that it did not reveal prior to his investment.

Of course, that's just Dundon's claim, but it does somewhat square up with the AAF's bankruptcy filing that showed them $37 million in the red.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This all but guarantees Bobrovsky without ruling out Panarin as well.

Not happy as a Leafs fan. Adding the best goalie in the league to the Panthers current lineup already probably makes it a dogfight for divisional playoff seeding for us.

Oh well, maybe the Cats can save us our annual encounter with the Bruins in the playoff this way. WC spot here we come lol.

TTT.
Canes are in it to win it. Fill a backup position while saving 700k a year.

And

Help Florida get Bob & Panarin, making the 1st rounder acquisition look even better.

Reactions: AD Skinner

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think Reimer is... well, passable, perhaps. He's inconsistent but he can steal games sometimes. Darling's just a backbreaker after backbreaker. I personally would be OK with Reimer as a backup. If better isn't available.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But they're losing cap in the other 3 years. I'd rather have a $1 million extra penalty for 1 year than an extra $500k for 3 years.

If they're going to push close to the cap though with signings this year, the highest year is going to be the most important. Giving them more wiggle room next year is more important

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I think Reimer is... well, passable, perhaps. He's inconsistent but he can steal games sometimes. Darling's just a backbreaker after backbreaker. I personally would be OK with Reimer as a backup. If better isn't available.
Hard to say just how bad Reimer was last year given defense inefficiency, but he was certainly bimodal so this is a fair take.

Panthers fans had to see more than they wanted though, due to Lu’s equally bad performance and injuries. I think if you can stuff Reimer as a backup it’s less than ideal but it works.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
There's a pretty interesting thread on our board covering this. From people much smarter than I, it appears this was a tech grab on Dundon's part that could be worth billions. It's worth the read if you're so inclined.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I would say forsberg and Ned will start in the AHL, that will leave Reimer backing up someone. Adding a vet was a smart move in case of injuries or Ned isn't ready.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't get this trade from a Florida POV. They could have just bought out Reiner and saved charge. They couldn't have done this just for a sixth round pick. Doesn't make sense.

And yet again, cheaper to buy out Darling and easier on the cap penalties then it was to do the same to Reimer.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This is disgusting. F-you, Dundon. Wish I had held off on buying season tix until I saw what additional degradations they’d pull this summer like last summer. “oh, I couldn’t kill the team last year by trading Skinner for nothing? hold my mother f***ing beer!”

Reactions: Laus723

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
This is disgusting. F-you, Dundon. Wish I had held off on buying season tix until I saw what additional degradations they’d pull this summer like last summer. “oh, I couldn’t kill the team last year by trading Skinner for nothing? hold my mother ****ing beer!”

You might want to step back from the ledge for a moment, lol. Word is the committee is still working hard to sign either Mrazek or Varlamov. If they do, not sure if they'd keep Reimer as a 1B / backup or flip him before he ever puts on a Canes sweater.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This was a very quiet and understated trade this year.
But James Reimer is quietly having a good year.
13th in the NHL in save% at .924, 2.41 GGA 7-5 WL.
Add this one to the Waddell good moves this summer list.

After an inconsistent start, Reimer has played great. Not only that. He costs less money than Darling who was worse than a tire fire so yeah, not much to be upset about here. Canes goaltending tandem is better than it was last year with Mrazek and Mac at about the same price as they were paying when you accounted for all 3 goalies salaries (Mraz, Mac, Darling)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This was a very quiet and understated trade this year.
But James Reimer is quietly having a good year.
13th in the NHL in save% at .924, 2.41 GGA 7-5 WL.
Add this one to the Waddell good moves this summer list.

Reimer was never bad in the first place, he just had 1 bad year. He's a perfectly solid 1B goalie. If he's your full time starter, you're in trouble, but a tandem like Mrazek-Reimer is perfectly solid.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
After an inconsistent start, Reimer has played great. Not only that. He costs less money than Darling who was worse than a tire fire so yeah, not much to be upset about here. Canes goaltending tandem is better than it was last year with Mrazek and Mac at about the same price as they were paying when you accounted for all 3 goalies salaries (Mraz, Mac, Darling)
Couldn’t be happier for him. Reimer was always a stand up guy, you always cheer for good guys in the game.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->