Trade: [CAR/CLE] A swap of punters!!!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Panthers have had zero luck finding a punter after letting Brad Nortman walk to Jacksonville. Andy Lee is like the 5th guy they've brought in, including Redfern himself. Hopefully Lee doesn't get hurt because this is a steep price for a punter.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He may not unleash 70 yarders with 4.5 hangtime with regularity anymore but he still can pin an offense deep or flip the field.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The pick is a few years down the road but a 4th rounder for a pricey 34 year old punter is kinda odd.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
wow

Broncos want to trade Colquitt...I laughed and thought there was no market for punters.

eating crow.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He may not unleash 70 yarders with 4.5 hangtime with regularity anymore but he still can pin an offense deep or flip the field.

He is very good.

Honestly, the worst part about this is it further cements the certainty that the Browns are not even trying to win games this year. They purposely downgraded a position all to add another draft pick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The rumor is that the reason the Browns made the trade is because Lee loafed it during a punt return in their last game game instead of trying to make a tackle.

He pissed the Browns off enough with something rather egregious and punished him by trading him to a Super Bowl team.

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Browns!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
In a preseason game? That's an odd thing to get mad about. These kickers can and do get hurt rather easily. Mike Scifres got run into and hurt his knee in the last game.

I think I'll live if Andy Lee doesn't try to tackle and Steelers in a few days. He is from SC and apparently has lived in Charlotte for the last 4 years, so this actually works out rather well for him.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
The rumor is that the reason the Browns made the trade is because Lee loafed it during a punt return in their last game game instead of trying to make a tackle.

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Browns!

lol @ the Browns calling out a punter for not making the tackle. That's what happens when your other 10 players on the field completely suck.

If I'm the Raiders, I'm calling Cleveland tonight asking for a 4th rounder for Janikowski. Dude is built like a linebacker.

091211-janikowski-story.jpg

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Lee not attempting any kind of tackle or defense on that play didn't cause him to be traded. Hue Jackson had words for him when he got back to the sideline, but the reason he was traded is the 4th round pick they were able to get for him. The Browns FO is all about stockpiling draft picks right now. It ties into their analytics and I think they feel they're more likely to hit on successes with more picks. (simple analysis - let's say 1 in 3 third rounders make it, they want 3 or 4 picks in that round to increase their odds).

Anyway, Lee is still a good punter with above average numbers so he should help in Carolina.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Lee not attempting any kind of tackle or defense on that play didn't cause him to be traded. Hue Jackson had words for him when he got back to the sideline, but the reason he was traded is the 4th round pick they were able to get for him. The Browns FO is all about stockpiling draft picks right now. It ties into their analytics and I think they feel they're more likely to hit on successes with more picks. (simple analysis - let's say 1 in 3 third rounders make it, they want 3 or 4 picks in that round to increase their odds).

I also think the Browns are stockpiling picks to be able to make their move up for a top QB.

But it really sucks for fans. Especially those tickey-buying fans with PSLs who are forced to buy tickets to games for a franchise that has already thrown in the towel on this season.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If there's any truth to that tackle story (it may have played into it, but I think the draft pick upgrade means more for a team that knows they're not going anywhere this year) then all I have to do is point to Shaun Suisham. By making a tackle in the first pre-season game of the year last year Suisham effectively cost himself millions of dollars (would be entering year 3 of a pricey 4 year contract this year, rather than being effectively retired with a career-ending injury) and cost the Steelers a lot of heartache, a draft pick, and a game as they scrambled to find a replacement kicker.

It's one thing if we're talking about a playoff game, but I never want to see a kicker/punter trying to make a tackle in a pre-season game after that. Again, though, I think the pick difference was the motivator for the Browns here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's really fun, so I'm going to go ahead and believe it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad