Confirmed Trade: [CAR/CBJ] Gregory Hofmann for 2022 7th round pick

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Guy has a contract with a European team until 2023. The 7th rounder is almost irrelevant. I wonder if there's something bigger in the works? They aren't near the contract limit according to Capfriendly.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This guy is a bit of an enigma. He tried to re-enter the draft a couple years after Carolina drafted him, but IIRC, an issue with the transfer agreement or his agent messing up the paperwork prevented it. I suspect he didn’t want to play for Carolina, but he did attend a camp (prospect camp?)or 2.

puts up great numbers in the Swiss league but he was never going to play in Carolina. Maybe he gets a shot in CLB and shows he’s legit.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this deal makes no sense to me.

He has a contract for 2 more seasons in the Swiss league(where he is paid very well) and has shown no interest in going to the NHL. And when his contract is over, he will be a UFA by NHL standards

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Guy has a contract with a European team until 2023. The 7th rounder is almost irrelevant. I wonder if there's something bigger in the works? They aren't near the contract limit according to Capfriendly.
this deal makes no sense to me.

He has a contract for 2 more seasons in the Swiss league(where he is paid very well) and has shown no interest in going to the NHL. And when his contract is over, he will be a UFA by NHL standards
There's a a transfer agreement between most European leagues and the NHL. NHL teams pay a couple of hundred thousand dollars to the team the player is contracted to.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
Seems like a long shot at this point in his career and a possible waste of a pick. However, it’s only a seventh, so there’s no real harm to take a flier on him, if they really like the guy. After all, he is probably much more likely to play in the NHL than whoever they would have picked with that seventh rounder.

Reactions: The Pale King

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
lolwut? Did Waddell wake up from a nap in the mood to make a random trade or something? Because trading the rights to a 28yo that's never played at the NHL or AHL level is about as random as it gets. Surprised Columbus made this move as well given he's never really given an indication he'll sign.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think it’s because until April, there was no transfer agreement between the Swiss league and the NHL so the Canes continued to hold his rights. Could be wrong.
Yup, before the 2013 CBA draft rights out of most European leagues (basically every league, except the Swiss league and the KHL) only lasted 2 years.. which was incredibly stupid.

"Hey, we drafted this really long-term project from Finland that could work out 4 years from now.. well shit, we're forced to sign him within 2 years, or he re-enters the draft"

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Yea I saw that after. Seems more like he said he has no interest in signing so they dumped him.

He hasn’t even been on Carolinas radar for years now. I mean, he was drafted nearly a decade ago. He tried to re-enter the draft but his agent didn’t file the proper paperwork in time so his rights remained with the hurricanes. He did eventually come over to attend a camp but there was never any serious talk about him signing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He hasn’t even been on Carolinas radar for years now. I mean, he was drafted nearly a decade ago. He tried to re-enter the draft but his agent didn’t file the proper paperwork in time so his rights remained with the hurricanes. He did eventually come over to attend a camp but there was never any serious talk about him signing.

IIRC it was because the NHL didn't have a transfer agreement with the Swiss league at the time. I know his agent was trying to find a way to make it work but that got in his way if I'm not off in my memory.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->