Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Canes sign Scott Darling (4 years, $4.15m AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Back up goalies on good teams rarely ever become great starting goaltenders on a different team. Goalies are voodoo. Can't blame the Canes for trying because they really were just a good goaltender and a couple of tweaks away from being a playoff team.

Look at McElhinney this season. He's been a completely different goaltender for the past 2-2.5 years. No one would have expected him to put the #'s he has in a back up or starting role.

Yeah, like I said. Canes weren't going anywhere riding Cam Ward so they had to try something. Didn't work out.

They aren't against the cap so that's not a problem. Not my money so I really don't care if they have to buy him out either.

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, like I said. Canes weren't going anywhere riding Cam Ward so they had to try something. Didn't work out.

They aren't against the cap so that's not a problem. Not my money so I really don't care if they have to buy him out either.

Exactly.

What was the alternative? I don't see many out there at the time Darling was signed.

Talbot panned out for one year and then flamed out.

Most Leaf fans honestly thought that Andersen was a big risk because he played on a good team and the Leafs were basically Flyers 2.0 in terms of goalies after the 2004 lockout and that he was given too much term. Now? They wish he was signed for longer.

Goalies are unpredictable. Have to keep trying till you find the right one.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Exactly.

What was the alternative? I don't see many out there at the time Darling was signed.

Talbot panned out for one year and then flamed out.

Most Leaf fans honestly thought that Andersen was a big risk because he played on a good team and the Leafs were basically Flyers 2.0 in terms of goalies after the 2004 lockout and that he was given too much term. Now? They wish he was signed for longer.

Yeah. High profile UFAs didn't want to come to Carolina, so to think they could just go out and sign Bishop or someone like that was a pipe dream. Canes drafted Andersen but he refused to sign so they lost out on him. More recently, they have been drafting goalies every year and hoping one will pan out, but until then, I don't blame them for trying the back-up route and seeing if they could strike gold, because that's basically the only option. They tried Lack and that didn't work out. They tried Darling, who was a solid back-up on a good NHL team, and it didn't work out. Darling was such a feel good story how he got is life back together and worked his way back to the NHL. Shame it didn't pan out.

Rutherford left the team with Cam Ward (who was breaking down) and nothing in the pipeline. I don't blame Francis to trying to do something to fix the situation, even if it failed.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Back up goalies on good teams rarely ever become great starting goaltenders on a different team. Goalies are voodoo. Can't blame the Canes for trying because they really were just a good goaltender and a couple of tweaks away from being a playoff team.

Look at McElhinney this season. He's been a completely different goaltender for the past 2-2.5 years. No one would have expected him to put the #'s he has in a back up or starting role.

Eh.
That's a stretch in terms of your first sentence in terms of what you mean. Like, if you pickup a back up to be a back up, then yeah, it's rare they win the starting role and become and elite 1. But in terms of the goalies that are specifically traded for as a backup to become a starter I'd say it's probably 50/50 over the past 4-5 years?

Like Toronto struck out on Nelson Mandela, but struck gold on Andersen.
Edmonton thought they struck gold with Talbot after two seasons, but it fell off a cliff.
SJ struck gold with Martin Jones
Arizona did really well with Antti Raanta
Canes struck out with Darling.

I'm fairly sure if you dug into the actual trades that were of value, for a backup goalie to become a starter over the past 5 years, I'd come up about even in terms of people getting value versus falling flat.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Maybe a dumb question and I don't feel like pouring over the CBA. Darling isn't even playing hockey right now. A month ago, he requested a leave of absence and the Canes granted that leave of absence.

The Cap hit is irrelevant for Carolina, but do the Canes have to still pay him while he takes this leave? Just curious if anyone knows how this works with the CBA?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
.882 SV% and 3.40 GAA as a Backup in the American League with Charlotte.

Yikes, this deal is mindblowingly bad.
The only thing worse is some of the Canes fans takes in this post.
Wow.

Between the storm surge and the playoff run some people really are struggling with the Carolina Hurricanes this year.

Looking up a two year old thread that has nothing to do with nothing?

Duck duck goose bitches.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Unfortunate that some need hindsight to realize a boozing SPHL reject isn’t worth 4x4.
Wow is right. Look at this scum bag!

If you weren’t mocking a guy with history of mental illness and alcoholism callously on the internet we could have an interesting conversation about how a penguins fan who’s team signed Jack Johnson to a five year deal could talk smack about any other teams signings.

Thanks for taking time off of kicking some old ladies service dog or throwing stones at handicapped kids....or whatever it is you do normally.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Don Waddell must be doing an OK job if the trolls are scrounging back to 2017 to take swipes.

Brett Pesce - $4 million x 6 years
Calvin De Haan - $4.5 million x 4 years
Jaccob Slavin - $5.3 million x 7 years
Teuvo Teravainen - $5.4 million x 5 years

Not too many stinkers otherwise. Some of the best contracts in the league.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Don Waddell must be doing an OK job if the trolls are scrounging back to 2017 to take swipes.

Brett Pesce - $4 million x 6 years
Calvin De Haan - $4.5 million x 4 years
Jaccob Slavin - $5.3 million x 7 years
Teuvo Teravainen - $5.4 million x 5 years

Not too many stinkers otherwise. Some of the best contracts in the league.
But Darling is dragging then down out of a playoff spot, oh wait.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd gladly trade our worst contract (Eriksson) for Darling.

It's a "meh" signing. He's not blocking anyone from coming up, he's not adversely affecting the teams play, he's not preventing anyone from being signed or resigned. BFD.

Hopefully he can turn things around, if not he made some money,and the Hurricanes are entirely unaffected otherwise.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't blame Carolina for taking a swing at Darling, or Carolina fans being excited at the possibility he could be a number one.

But I do chuckle at the Blackhawks fans on HFBoards and twitter, who were adamant the Blackhawks should trade Crawford and his 6mil cap hit, and sign Darling to be the team's number 1 goalie based on a 40 game sample.

The Backup Quarterback syndrome has always been strong in Chicago. The other guy is always better... even if, in this case, the guy you have starting is arguably a top-5 goalie in the league (at the time, before injuries at least).

Reactions: Crow

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Not really...just scout properly?

Jacques Plant Era
Ken Dryden (1970-1979)
Patrick Roy (1984-1996)
Jose Theodore (1995-2007)
Jaroslav Halak (2006-2010)
Carey Price (2007-present)

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Funny how you ignored fucale??

He hasn't been a starter for us?

Do you want me to include every single goalie prospect we've drafted or only the relevant players instead of nobodies like Fucale. I didn't mention a great goalie prospects like Primeau for the same reason I didn't mention a failure like Fucale.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Goalies are extremely hard to find because goaltending Is significantly more mental than playing as a player.

It requires a specific mentality and consistency that is almost impossible to find. Holtby and Fleury recently started using sports psychologists . Fleury specially for his playoff issues of past. Playing in net is a massive responsibility

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He hasn't been a starter for us?

Do you want me to include every single goalie prospect we've drafted or only the relevant players instead of nobodies like Fucale. I didn't mention a great goalie prospects like Primeau for the same reason I didn't mention a failure like Fucale.
Thats my point .Even high end goalie draft prospects don't pan out .fucale didn't. It's simply not easy to draft for.

Reactions: Dishface and DaveG

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Thats my point .Even high end goalie draft prospects don't pan out .fucale didn't. It's simply not easy to draft for.

Seems like the habs have been able to find one every time they needed one, and with each lasting about a decade. I'm sure it goes beyond luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad