Car 52, Where Are You? Mike Green, Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I've been a huge Mike Green supporter, but I am moving to the "trade Green" camp. His talent is undeniable and he is the best offensive defenseman in the NHL when he's on, but that ship has sailed. He's not worth the contract he'll command, he can't stay healthy, and I'll lose my mind if we let another asset walk for nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Without doing the work I would assume all the offensive guys on the team's 10 game segments would break down similarly.

And that would be fine for most players. Mike Green is a former star that has been a shadow of his former self the past few seasons. He had good 10 game run. And he is now now back to the player we have seen the past few seasons.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Chicken/egg. At some point the "everyone else sucks, too" argument has to break down and someone has to be responsible for himself.

Yes but this is hockey and I don't care how well any individual player is playing if the team as a whole is not playing well it is going to be exceedingly difficult for said player to get it done in spite of the rest of the team's play.

And I am not in any way suggesting Green has been playing well and the rest of the team hasn't. I am saying the entire team hasn't been playing well offensively but IMO that isn't because Green hasn't been the same guy he was earlier.

IMO the overall play of the forwards and how many of them are being used has a lot more to do with the current situation offensively than the play of anyone on the backend.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
And that would be fine for most players. Mike Green is a former star that has been a shadow of his former self the past few seasons. He had good 10 game run. And he is now now back to the player we have seen the past few seasons.

Maybe, maybe not. I think we will have to see as the team as a whole hopefully improves.

But does that logic only work for Green? Did Burakovsky do the same for 10 games and fool us all into thinking he is ready to center an NHL scoring line? His second 10 game stretch hasn't been nearly as impressive IMO. Honestly I never understood the idea of throwing a rookie winger in as a center at the NHL to begin with but for 10 games everyone around here was a believer it seemed. Now is he back to the player you would actually expect in this situation, ie over matched?

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Maybe, maybe not. I think we will have to see as a whole hopefully improves.

But does that logic only work for Green? Did Burakovsky do the same for 10 games and fool us all into thinking he is ready to center an NHL scoring line? His second 10 game stretch hasn't been nearly as impressive IMO. Honestly I never understood the idea of throwing a rookie winger in as a center at the NHL to begin with but for 10 games everyone around here was a believer it seemed. Now is he back to the player you would actually expect in this situation, ie over matched?

I understand your point but find it hard to a play to the two different players. One guy has years of up and down we can go off of. And the other only has the 10 games.

It was good to see Mike Green play well while it lasted but at no point was I fooled. He is who I said he is years ago. A finesse player that's game droppes way off as soon as he is banged up. His great is not great anymore. And the bad parts of his game have never changed. Still the worst part about him is the weak sulking disinterested look on his face. I hate weak personality's and wanted him gone as soon as he open his mouth.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Maybe you guys are right. The PP really looks like it struggles without Iron Mike Green on the point. And Nate Schmidt looks lost without him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Maybe you guys are right. The PP really looks like it struggles without Iron Mike Green on the point. And Nate Schmidt looks lost without him.

Man, is Schmidt a revelation or what? He better be resigned this year. Dude looks like he could be Alzner with offense in a few years. Orlov, Schmidt, Carlson, Alzner, Niskanen, Bowey... that'll be a nice D corps I'm 3 years.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Man, is Schmidt a revelation or what? He better be resigned this year. Dude looks like he could be Alzner with offense in a few years. Orlov, Schmidt, Carlson, Alzner, Niskanen, Bowey... that'll be a nice D corps I'm 3 years.

I am a big fan of Schmidt. The first thing that turned me off of Mike Green even before he started to fall part. Was his weak sulking body language and his sad Mike Green interviews. And Nate Schmidt is nothing like that. He always seems happy to be there and willing make a joke at his own expense

I would like to make it clear my dislike for weak personalities is my own opinion based off of the kind of people I let into and keep out of my life.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Love me some 88 too. I hope he doesn't pull a 55 tho, we were all high on him after his huge season as well.

That open ice hit on Clutterbuck was awesome last night.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Love me some 88 too. I hope he doesn't pull a 55 tho, we were all high on him after his huge season as well.

Not all. I soured on 55 after it became obvious he was a little man trapped in a large body. The draft pick looked good on paper, and the scouting reports were overly flattering regarding his 2-way play.

But yeah, 88 is good. Like, what we thought we were getting with Carlson after juniors good, maybe.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I was told I was a bad bad boy and got my hand slapped with analytics for even speculating that Schmidt had been making Green look good so far this year (back before car 52 had another flat tire).

I really think the smart move for us to make is to get Green healthy get him some protected action near the deadline and move him away with Orlov jumping into his spot alongside 88. Playoff hunt or not we simply cannot afford to continue horrible asset management. Even if we don't get a current roster player in return(say a prospect or pick is the big part of the return) I don't think the defense is being downgrading that much.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Now that Green is on IR it will be interesting to see how we look defensively the next few games. If we dont look like we miss him a bit, I'm okay with trading him. Esp if Nisk keeps bringing some O.

Halpysback*

I was told I was a bad bad boy and got my hand slapped with analytics for even speculating that Schmidt had been making Green look good so far this year (back before car 52 had another flat tire).

I really think the smart move for us to make is to get Green healthy get him some protected action near the deadline and move him away with Orlov jumping into his spot alongside 88. Playoff hunt or not we simply cannot afford to continue horrible asset management. Even if we don't get a current roster player in return(say a prospect or pick is the big part of the return) I don't think the defense is being downgrading that much.

Can't, we need Green's veteran playoff experience at being lackadaisical and turned inside out

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

I absolutely said they should move 55 after the President Trophy season....and gave several reasons, there were a few of us in that camp and all we heard was "we just don't see the little things he does"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And don't forget all the other guys who are still around and have been kicking ass and taking names ever since...

Look what those guys who are left have had to play with. A team bleeding skill and talent, weak goaltending and crazytown coaching.

Halpysback*

For Green to stay 2 things would have to happen

1. Carlson or Niskanen get moved

2. He gets offered 6+ if not 7 million long term

Compute the odds of both those happening, realize they are <1%, and move him at the deadline.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Compute the odds of both those happening, realize they are <1%, and move him at the deadline.

Or you could pay him 6m+ to play on the shielded pair, because... Norris depth! And then just give Trotz three lines of cheap grinders up front, keeping 8 and 19 to draw attention and score some PP points.

:help:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I don't believe either of those are absolutes for Green to stay around at least another season and I think there are other variables in play also.

He's not going to command that kind of contract from anyone if this season keeps going the way it is for him healthwise. If that is the case what does he do? Does he sign a longer term deal at a rate a decent amount lower than he could command if he was coming off a reasonably healthy season or does he kind of do a Semin and gamble on himself and sign a one year deal, likely here IMO, in order to try to earn that big money long term deal?

Also IMO the desire to keep Green around very much depends on how the coaching staff feels about the ability of some of the other blueliners in the organization to step up and play top 4 minutes for a while when needed. I think most of us feel Schmidt had a very nice start of the season, mostly when playing with Green, but IMO anyway he his game has fallen off recently. His less than 10 minutes of ice time last night doesn't tell me they currently have a ton of trust in him. Obviously Orlov is the other possibly ready made option but he hasn't even played a minute of hockey at any level since Trotz came on board. Plus he has had his own injury issues over the last few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad