Car 52, Where Are You? Mike Green, Pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Lets say the team resigns Mike Green for 7x5.

What do they do with Bowey, Carrick, Djoos, Orlov, Schmidt and Way?

Who will be the next Cody Eakin?

If we can get past Mike Greens health concerns. And the fact that he did not try for the past two years. The team is giving up open spots for guys that can become nice cost controlled options. And that will be big down the road.

What is Holtby is not the answer? It will be 5-6mill to get someone that is.

Having another 7mill player on D and blocking what is the strongest area of the prospect pool. May not be the best move. And it sure is not the best way to try to bring in a 1RW. It could be a future with little flexibility.

If that happens, then either one of our other d-men sees a fall in production and we trade him for whatever we can get or they all play well and we get a good return for one of them as we need to promote the youngins. IF (big if) Green is willing to take a deal for 5M/yr, then you take it (assuming his play continues and he doesn't get hurt).

Most of those guys are going to benefit from a couple more years of development. At that point Orpik will be getting older...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If the fundamental problem is an underperforming forward group then the primary focus should be on the forward group. If the forwards can't produce given their puck possession advantage and it primarily impacts their playoff pace then it should be pared down and rebuilt.

Sure, there has been a structuring argument against extending Green once Niskanen was signed but teams also should play and build to their advantages. This could be their advantage in the short-term (and perhaps beyond depending on the cap/performance). I don't consider anyone outside of Schmidt & Orlov as developing alternatives in the short-term (and an Eakin type trade isn't such a horrible thing if the target is more than an aimless stopgap).

The longer the forward group underwhelms the more valuable a soft minute contributor and PP guy like Green becomes, esp. if Carlson & Niskanen aren't making as much of an offensive impact 5-on-5.

We have alot of young guys in the top 9 in Wilson, Kuz and Burakovsky. They will get better. Kuz and Burakovsky have 3 goals between them at 2c and 3c. We need more and will get more from them.

Laich out hurts us.

We will start capitalizing on chances more.

Good to see Ovechkin and Backstrom with big nights offensively. Good for their confidence going forward.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin dashed the value of the big offensive game with the bad penalty and bad turnover. Backstroms. sure. Kuz and Bura will be under experienced for years as will Wilson. Their play will improve but not without downsides. Laich being out hurts. Til he proves proves otherwise its an issue.

The Caps can not rely on baby forwards. What they bring is a bonus. Not meat and potatoes of success

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ovechkin dashed the value of the big offensive game with the bad penalty and bad turnover. Backstroms. sure. Kuz and Bura will be under experienced for years as will Wilson. Their play will improve but not without downsides. Laich being out hurts. Til he proves proves otherwise its an issue.

The Caps can not rely on baby forwards. What they bring is a bonus. Not meat and potatoes of success

Well they have to rely on the 2C and 3C no matter who they are.

I do like Green on the 1st PP.

Yes bad turnover by Ovie. It happens.

The penalty was a tough break. It wasn't a stupid Chimera style penalty.

We will be OK.

We have til the new year to evaluate Green's play and fit on the team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the penalty was stupid. he ran into the guy because he wasn't looking where he was going. he wasn't looking because he was whining. bad call perhaps but when you are pissing off a ref what do you expect? it was embarrassing.

the turnover was embarrassing too. these things happen but not when trying to fight off a losing streak when you are the captain. he helped put two pucks in his own net.

I am not calling for him to be fired as captain but I am not letting him off the hook either. stuff like that would get bura or Schmidt sent to Hershey. it got alzner benched.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
the penalty was stupid. he ran into the guy because he wasn't looking where he was going. he wasn't looking because he was whining. bad call perhaps but when you are pissing off a ref what do you expect? it was embarrassing.

the turnover was embarrassing too. these things happen but not when trying to fight off a losing streak when you are the captain. he helped put two pucks in his own net.

I am not calling for him to be fired as captain but I am not letting him off the hook either. stuff like that would get bura or Schmidt sent to Hershey. it got alzner benched.

So are we just going to completely ignore that he got 4 points aswell...?

It wasn't the regular kind of 4-point game because of the things you just mentioned but 4-point game in the NHL is still very rare and say what you want, but that was still overally a good performance by him.

He's not the reason they lost this game.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ovechkin had 1G+3A, 7 shots on goal and 5 hits. Also the Canadian media is kept at bay since he finished a +1

A debatably "dumb" penalty and a turnover does not change the fact that he was good.

If you want to focus on blaming someone then look at the goalie. Peters was god awful and had an .80 sv pctg and let in a couple bad angle goals and made few if any big saves.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I said that the bad washed the good. yes, he was a main reason that they lost the game. because a goalie makes three brilliant saves on a 1st period pk does not excuse in a tie game late in the 3rd period giving up a soft goal to lose the game. Ov took a dumb penalty that resulted in the opponent tying the score in the last seconds on the 3rd period. He made a horrible turnover directly to the player that then scored a killer goal.

two of those four points came in final two minutes of a game they were down by 3 goals. they were garbage time points.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin had 1G+3A, 7 shots on goal and 5 hits. Also the Canadian media is kept at bay since he finished a +1

A debatably "dumb" penalty and a turnover does not change the fact that he was good.

If you want to focus on blaming someone then look at the goalie. Peters was god awful and had an .80 sv pctg and let in a couple bad angle goals and made few if any big saves.

yes...the goalie was bad. a main reason why the captain should know better than taking a selfish penalty in the last two minutes of a period with a one goal lead. you would think he would have known to be more careful with the puck rather than with an unforced error give the opposition a prime scoring chance against a goalie having a rough night.

this is what trotz was talking about post game and why chose not to call out the backup goaltender

Burakovsky95*

Dumb penalty lol? Give me a break. That was an awful call by a baby ref trying to make a name for himself.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
it was an awful call. taken in isolation it was not charging as he accidentally ran over a guy that didn't have the puck. but if you consider that he ran over that guy while yelling at the ref, it was just stupid.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Dumb penalty lol? Give me a break. That was an awful call by a baby ref trying to make a name for himself.

Yeah. Tough being a young ref in this league. He had a rough game and it really hurt the Caps.

Officiating is never an excuse. But it is a factor. Its no easy job.

What I get mad about are trends (Caps Pens series and 34-19 discrepancy or Rangers Caps series 26-14 discrepancy and both had their share of suspicious games after Caps took a 2-0 series lead in each...)

Regardless this thread is about Green who's been very good this year. Alot of teams will want him and he is driving his price up so far.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It appears Green and Carlson have swapped places this game with Green getting moved up next to Orpik and Carlson getting the easier matchups next to Schmidt. Without looking at how they are being used I guess it could be Orpik being moved down and Schmidt up but I don't think so so far.

I do like the ability of the coaching staff to move the guys around depending on who is getting it done and who isn't though.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Schmidt really sucks as a dman. Why he is allowed to be on an NHL roster? Same with Green- he should be in the back of bus. Alzner should pair up with his longtime partner Carlson, otherwise he is regressing.

Next lineup should be like this:

Alzner-Carlson
Orpik-Niskanen
Schilling-Orlov

We would still suck but these are our defencemen atm.

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
That was quick. It took less then a game for the real Mike Green to show up after he was moved up.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Rough nite for MG52 for sure. He actually did alot of good things and it seems we had strong possession all night.

But just like the theme for the season a few crucial mistakes that always end up in the back of the net.

Green, Carlson, Niskanen, Alzner, Orpik etc....all make mistakes. In fact every dman on every team is guilty of boneheaded giveaways. Just seems so far this year our goalies just don't ever bail us out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I guess I don't see it. He was on the ice for four goals against. which of those goals were on him? lets start with the two most obvious. the pinball goal and Giordano's goal. without those its -2. remove the first goal which had little to do with him and you are left with the OT game winner.

ok...he messed up on that. Trotz took him to task last night for havin a horrible game. right? no?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I guess I don't see it. He was on the ice for four goals against. which of those goals were on him? lets start with the two most obvious. the pinball goal and Giordano's goal. without those its -2. remove the first goal which had little to do with him and you are left with the OT game winner.

ok...he messed up on that. Trotz took him to task last night for havin a horrible game. right? no?

How did that have little to do with him? Even if the puck disappeared after that shot, it was still his guy who scored the goal right in front of him. Not saying it's all his fault because it was an unfortunate bounce, but he shouldn't get a free pass for that. Same can be said about Holtby in that 1st goal.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
You can blame Green for the OT goal and maybe the 1st one (he didn't know where the puck was(at his feet) but you could argue he should have tracked it better) but the other 2 goals against were not on him at all. Overall, I think he had a decent game, generated good chances. The -4 rating does not reflect his play.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
That was quick. It took less then a game for the real Mike Green to show up after he was moved up.

I watched the Flames cast and that completely went over my head. Of course he would have a terrible game because he was put into a role with actual defensive responsibilities as Orpik's partner.

Let's hope that Carlson got the message so that we can get Green back to where he doesn't have to play defense.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Is there some kind of record for missed opportunities to trade a player? Did anyone really think he would make it to the deadline?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
One of the knocks that Norris trophy front runner Mike Green was hopefully going to address this year was his horrible inconsistency.

First ten games - 3 goals, 5 assists +8 (1 missed due to injury)
Second ten games - 0 goals, 4 assists -4

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
One of the knocks that Norris trophy front runner Mike Green was hopefully going to address this year was his horrible inconsistency.

First ten games - 3 goals, 5 assists +8 (1 missed due to injury)
Second ten games - 0 goals, 4 assists -4

Without doing the work I would assume all the offensive guys on the team's 10 game segments would break down similarly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Without doing the work I would assume all the offensive guys on the team's 10 game segments would break down similarly.

Chicken/egg. At some point the "everyone else sucks, too" argument has to break down and someone has to be responsible for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad