Captain Dion a -6

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Now that the Players are starting to catch up, it's readily apparent that Kostka is over his head at this level. He can't process the play quick enough and it's affecting Phanuef's game.

So Kostka is the reason why phaneuf can't play defence?

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Now that the Players are starting to catch up, it's readily apparent that Kostka is over his head at this level. He can't process the play quick enough and it's affecting Phanuef's game.

I wouldn't go that far. You have to know that Kostka was going to get exposed at some point in his first year and he most definitely will again. Overall for his first regular stint in the NHL playing WAY too many minutes I am surprised he hasn't had more episodes of failure than he has. Overall I think he has had a successful debut but just needs to be used properly.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Dion Phanuef is a bad captain and a stupid hockey player. He needs to be gone ASAP. He actively drags down the team by being here and being the "captain".

The guy has no hockey IQ.

There is a reason Calgary traded him to us for a bucket of pucks.

Hell, they even threw in a serviceable player in Sjostrom and a (at the time) well regarded young prospect in Aulie just to make sure we took him off their hands.

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs D core had 3 guys who were playing in the AHL last year full time. It kind of says something about the Leafs D. Komisarek seems to be in the dog house already. We miss Gardiner alot and Dion is not a #1 Dman on most NHL teams. He is a 3rd guy on most teams. Fraser and Holzer should not be up with the Big club. Franson looked awful last night too. His skating was getting exposed as were some of his decisions. He also gave up on a few plays. I like Franson though. The Leafs dont have a good stay at home defenseman to shut guys down. All of them including Dion seem to lose track of guys in there own zone.

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
Dion Phanuef is a bad captain and a stupid hockey player. He needs to be gone ASAP. He actively drags down the team by being here and being the "captain".

The guy has no hockey IQ.

There is a reason Calgary traded him to us for a bucket of pucks.

Hell, they even threw in a serviceable player in Sjostrom and a (at the time) well regarded young prospect in Aulie just to make sure we took him off their hands.

I hate people like you.
Maybe the same reason Anaheim traded Lupul for a bucket of pucks and threw in a well regarded young prospect in Gardnier just to make sure we took him off their hands.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
I hate people like you.
Maybe the same reason Anaheim traded Lupul for a bucket of pucks and threw in a well regarded young prospect in Gardnier just to make sure we took him off their hands.

Well, to be fair, when things are traded for a bag of pucks, more likely than not they won't turn into Lupul and Gardiner.

You're using the exception to prove the rule.

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
Well, to be fair, when things are traded for a bag of pucks, more likely than not they won't turn into Lupul and Gardiner.

You're using the exception to prove the rule.

Well, to be fair. Regehr was also traded for a bag of pucks... so it seems, in Calgary, trading Defense for pucks is the rule.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I hate people like you.

Sometimes you fleece a GM. Just look at the Kessel and Rask trades.

Doesn't change the fact that Dion Phanuef is a bad hockey player and a horrible captain who drags down the collective hockey IQ of every player in that dressing room.

MrWangz

Jan 21, 2012
Why do leaf fans (majority) admit that that phaneuf sucks on here, but when they go on the main boards, they claim he's so great?

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
Sometimes you fleece a GM. Just look at the Kessel and Rask trades.

Doesn't change the fact that Dion Phanuef is a bad hockey player and a horrible captain who drags down the collective hockey IQ of every player in that dressing room.

My point is, how we acquired the player is not evidence of said players value, Thanks for agreeing with me

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Why do leaf fans (majority) admit that that phaneuf sucks on here, but when they go on the main boards, they claim he's so great?

I have never said a kind word about Phanuef anywhere.

I was alright with him until he was named captain. He is far too stupid to be a captain. He is the absolute worst kind of captain. The kind who's only "leadership" ability lies in the fact that he is overly aggressive.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I hate people like you.

For Anaheim, Beauchemin never was and never bill be bucket of pucks. Watch some Anaheim games before commenting that.

The Velvet Hammer

Jun 3, 2010
leafville
The problem is the coach....

We lose our home games because of RC and his AWFUL LINE MATCHING....!!!!!!!!

we lose 85% of the time when Kostka and Phaneuf are playing over 20mins a night and anytime they get over 30mins we lose 100%. When and why does this happen??? when he can line match at home.

dion is a serviceable dman at >20mins a night. kostka, for the love of God, should be in the AHL, or atleast playing >10mins a night.

but still, its might be dion and kostka fault that they suck, BUUT not their fault they are playing OVER 30 mins a night.... thats just nuts....

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think guys are getting a little carried away here. Dion is a decent player, maybe not a top pairing d-pairing but definitely a #2. He is being paid like a top d-man and maybe that can get rectified in the summer trying to extend him or if he doesn't take the haircut he has to be traded.

Dion, like Kostka is being played way too much but that is a function of the depth on D. We need Gunnar back and be giving more minutes to Franson. This is life in today's NHL. You guys didn't actually think this was a playoff team did you? C'mon. If we fight for 8th and come up short they have played over there heads.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
People who don't see Phaneuf for what he is - a 1b defenseman - luckily aren't in a position to move him :laugh: you give him a competent partner and he'll flourish. Dumbest thing management could do is listen to the fans.

Plays hardest minutes? Check
Puts up points? Check
Plays defense to be a top pairing dman? Check
Advanced stats point to him being good? Check

Yeah lets trade him :rolleyes:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
People who don't see Phaneuf for what he is - a 1b defenseman - luckily aren't in a position to move him :laugh: you give him a competent partner and he'll flourish. Dumbest thing management could do is listen to the fans.

Plays hardest minutes? Check
Puts up points? Check
Plays defense to be a top pairing dman? Check
Advanced stats point to him being good? Check

Yeah lets trade him :rolleyes:

Agreed. People seem to forget (I know I do) that he's only 27. That's pretty young for a defenseman that eats as many minutes as he does. He's got room to grow into his role.

Penalty Kill Icing*

One point in nine games is hardly check worthy when your team is aiming for playoffs. And please don't make it sound like he is irreplacable. He is easily replacable. Kostka and Gunnnar pairing would probably yield more points than current pairing.

mrsauve

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto
Watching phanuef eat up PP minutes by firing the puck over the net and out every time he touches it at the point is one of the hardest things to watch as a leafs fan... At least franson can get it on net, take phanuef off the PP.. better yet trade him before he goes to UFA.. If we resign him at that price i will be devastated..

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I would like to see Gardiner and Gunnar back there or Gardiner and Franson with Dion as the second group on the PP. You just need pucks to go to the net and there will be rebounds. Guys like Frattin and JVR can score a lot of goals chasing them down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->