Captain Dion a -6

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
Clark, Gilmour, Sundin ... Phaneuf

There's a huge drop off there, he's a serviceable top 4 defenseman in the mold of McCabe.

Like McCabe who was booed for his contract more then his play, I think Phaneuf is going through the same cycle here with the fans.

I don't think he is McCabe, he needed someone better than him to play with.

To me Dion is Roman Hamerlik, can do everything, just not great at any one thing.
He is the perfect 18-20 min Dman. Not always going against top guys, can be first or second wave of PP, and minimal use on PK.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Fatnoof is a goof man, this guy has no hockey IQ, rarely ever hustles, loses foot chases to the puck, just overrated as hell, not a 1st d-man, a good 3rd d-man, which is how he was in Calgary, you had Giordano and Regehr better than him, and Hamrlik would cover up his mistakes. This guy just is not captain material.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Since Dion has come here how often has he hit the net? You give your team no chance when the puck is around your head or wide.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
There's nothing inpsiring about this guy as a captain.

It's not his fault- he's just no leader.

He happens to be a very limited player on the ice too, which again isn't his fault, and more and indictment of the coaching staff.

In time, many people here will realize that you don't win anything with Dion Phaneuf as your number 1 Dman.

He peaked in Calgary. We've got a watered down version of the blueliner who was once considered a Norris Trophy candidate.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
'Missed Shots' ranking in the NHL for Dion Phaneuf:

10\11: 35th
11\12: 42nd
12\13: 28th

He happens to be a very limited player on the ice too, which again isn't his fault, and more and indictment of the coaching staff.

In time, many people here will realize that you don't win anything with Dion Phaneuf as your number 1 Dman.

He peaked in Calgary. We've got a watered down version of the blueliner who was once considered a Norris Trophy candidate.

All one has to look at is hall of famers like Coffey and Lidstrom. These guys made careers from just snapping the puck on the net. Larry Murphy as well. Take 20% off the shot and control it and give your team a chance. 28th-42nd in hitting the net is ridiculous for your captain and a guy taking in 6mill a year.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I must admit that I am becoming more and more disenchanted with not only his play, but the play of many others around him. Individuals who should be in their prime, and therefore at their peak production,yet cannot perform at levels they easily reached before. It makes me more confused than anything that a 28 year old would be passed his prime. I think he does suffer from not having a good #2 D partner. Who knows how good he could be if he had a Suter type player beside him. Shea Weber has shown, early on in this season, how much having a quality other half in a pairing can effect someones game.

I blame the piss poor management of this franchise more than Dion for his performance as a Leaf. They have not set him up for success.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I must admit that I am becoming more and more disenchanted with not only his play, but the play of many others around him. Individuals who should be in their prime, and therefore at their peak production,yet cannot perform at levels they easily reached before. It makes me more confused than anything that a 28 year old would be passed his prime. I think he does suffer from not having a good #2. Who knows how good he could be if he had a Suter type player beside him. Shea Weber has shown, early on in this season, how much having a good #2 can effect someones game.

I blame the piss poor management of this franchise more than Dion for his performance as a Leaf. They have not set him up for success.

Sutter and Weber are #1's! Anyone would look better next to them. Dion is being paid to be a #1 pairing guy and he is really not. Dion is a second pairing defender. Should be on the second PP unit and Kostka should be no where near a PP. You can blame much of this on Burke.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
he plays too much - that's evident. Why he is still on the PP I have no idea. That will lessen his playing minutes. He can't hit the net and when he does, it's chest level and right at one of our own players. Thankfully JVR wasn't hurt last night. He also hit the ref - so he gets points for that :handclap:

Take him off the PP, put Franson #1. The guy is not spectacular, but he can shoot pretty accurately.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Sutter and Weber are #1's! Anyone would look better next to them. Dion is being paid to be a #1 pairing guy and he is really not. Dion is a second pairing defender. Should be on the second PP unit and Kostka should be no where near a PP. You can blame much of this on Burke.

While I agree that Shea Weber is a #1, I would say that Ryan Suter is #2, if not than 1B. One just has to look at their current year production to see that they miss each other as partners. Dion has the ability to be a #1, but playing with players like Kostka or even Gunnarsson (whom I like, but is no more than a #4 or #5) is not a recipe for success.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
'Missed Shots' ranking in the NHL for Dion Phaneuf:

10\11: 35th
11\12: 42nd
12\13: 28th

Where is the "Missed Shots' ranking? I'm on NHL stats but can't find it.

I'd prefer a ratio of shots/missed shots as opposed to bulk numbers.

Edit: Found it, he's actually not bad compared to the worst. Although on the Leafs he does have the worst shots/missed shots ratio. Kostka's missing the net a lot too though.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I must admit that I am becoming more and more disenchanted with not only his play, but the play of many others around him. Individuals who should be in their prime, and therefore at their peak production,yet cannot perform at levels they easily reached before. It makes me more confused than anything that a 28 year old would be passed his prime. I think he does suffer from not having a good #2 D partner. Who knows how good he could be if he had a Suter type player beside him. Shea Weber has shown, early on in this season, how much having a quality other half in a pairing can effect someones game.

If you look at a lot of Dion's struggles, they are irrelevant of who is playing next to him.

Sure having a solid partner helps.

But there are class Dmen right across the league, that continue to play great regardless of who they are paired with. I view those guys as #1 Dmen. Players that can be paired with anyone, and they make that next person better. Look at what Lidstrom did for Ian White. Kronwall. Etc.

Dion isn't that type of player. He needs someone to carry him. His best play as a Leaf has come with Gunnarsson, not because Gunnarsson is brilliant, but because Gunnarsson allowed Dion to play with a bit more freedom. He needs someone to carry him, not the other way around. That's not the sign of a #1 Dman for me.

It also doesn't matter who you play with - if you can't hit the net, or run a powerplay, or win the foot battles, or the puck battles, that's on you as a player, not on your partner.

You could put Chara next to Dion, and he would still struggle with the basics he is currently failing to master

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Best post of the thread.

I know people will jump to defend him, but they will do so purely out of the fact that he's a Leaf.

If he wasn't a Leaf (a Hab, or a Sen, or still a Flame) we'd all be saying the exact same thing daveleaf just said.

Overpaid. Not a #1. Awful and not dynamic enough on the powerplay.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Durrrrrr

Jun 23, 2011
An opinion piece defended by stats.

Isn't that the exact same thing the +/- & the horrible shooting % guys are doing?

I fail to see the difference.

Stats can color a player in any light you want.

I prefer to focus on the on-ice play that I can see. And I can see the same thing that most of you guys can see - a Dman who is out of his depth

Obviously this piece wasn't for you, was it?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
An opinion piece defended by stats.

Isn't that the exact same thing the +/- & the horrible shooting % guys are doing?

I fail to see the difference.

Stats can color a player in any light you want.

I prefer to focus on the on-ice play that I can see. And I can see the same thing that most of you guys can see - a Dman who is out of his depth

Numbers are objective. Your eyes aren't.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Now that the Players are starting to catch up, it's readily apparent that Kostka is over his head at this level. He can't process the play quick enough and it's affecting Phanuef's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->