Captain Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
He goes out tries 100%, doesn't complain.....will basicly die for the team. Its a hunger to win that the likes of Stevens, Sakic and Yzerman posses.

Bergeron is the same... the guy just wants to win and that's all there is to it. Constantly wants to learn new things and is willing to teach anything to anybody he can pass along. Future great leader, IMO.

I wish I saved some quotes from him to show. Some of the things he says at such a young age surprises the hell out of me.

As a Bruins fan, I wish they could combine Bergerons head with Thornton's package. We'd have ourselfs another great HOF'er in the game. :)

Anyways, I still believe Richards to be the Captain with being on last years team and Bergeron should definitely get an "A"...

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Just thought I'd mention why I picked Brent Seabrook as captain. He's always been the captain with this age group at international tournaments (Under-17, Under-18) - so it would be an easy fit for him to be captain at the WJC.

turnbuckle*

I don't see Bergeron being named captain mainly because he's never played in the tournament. I would be shocked if the captaincy was not given to one of the returning players.

Can someone name a previous season (other than the first WJC obviously) where the captain was not a returning player?

Another smaller point is that Bergeron is still not exactly a dynamic personality when he's speaking the English language; in fact, any interviews I've seen with him have been snoozefests. There's a good chance that Bergeron will be the only francophone on the team; I doubt that sutter would give the captaincy to the sole francophone - just my guess. I expect Bergeron to be a quiet leader; as he's played with very few of his teammates before.

I think at the pro level, the captain can let his play do the talking (a la Yzerman, Sundin, Naslund, etc.), but for a world junior tournament, I believe it's improtant to have a captain with a bit more of a 'rah rah' attitude.

Richards or Phaneuf would be my first choices.

gangstajerome

Dec 3, 2004
i watched beauchemin give an interview totally in french on one french channel today. It sounded like it was his first tongue.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
turnbuckle said:
I don't see Bergeron being named captain mainly because he's never played in the tournament. I would be shocked if the captaincy was not given to one of the returning players.

Can someone name a previous season (other than the first WJC obviously) where the captain was not a returning player?

Another smaller point is that Bergeron is still not exactly a dynamic personality when he's speaking the English language; in fact, any interviews I've seen with him have been snoozefests. There's a good chance that Bergeron will be the only francophone on the team; I doubt that sutter would give the captaincy to the sole francophone - just my guess. I expect Bergeron to be a quiet leader; as he's played with very few of his teammates before.

I think at the pro level, the captain can let his play do the talking (a la Yzerman, Sundin, Naslund, etc.), but for a world junior tournament, I believe it's improtant to have a captain with a bit more of a 'rah rah' attitude.

Richards or Phaneuf would be my first choices.

Well, I don't think Bergeron will get the "C" either, but I still think he could handle it and would deserve it if he got it.

Bergeron may not have played in last years WJC tournament, but he won gold playing in the IIHF World Championship and has played a full NHL season already. He'll be the first player to play in a WC before a WJC. He has vast experience over everyone on the team.

I personally don't find Bergeron's interviews snoozefests at all. He actually puts me in awe sometimes sounding like a 30 year old vet, and has quite the personality, IMO. After missing 11 games with a shoulder injury you know what he said he did to test it out? He got players to nail him in practice up against the boards! If I could find the quote I'd show you...

Anyways, the rep of Sutter does make it out to be that he wouldn't give the "C" to the only francophone on the team. But if it was ever found out that that was the case for not giving him the "C"... well you'd know what that'd be.

Sticky*

HabLover said:
It will be Phaneuf, bottom line!

With the A's, possibly Seabrook and Richards.

I think your head is a little stuck in the west. Richards WILL be the captain. Bank on it. And Phaneuf will for sure get an A, but definitely not the C. Bergeron, Carter or dawes with the other A.

easton122

May 14, 2003
USA
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
That's an odd thing for a Flyers fan to say. :help:

No offense to Phaneuf who i'd love to have in Philly but this should be Richards team. It's almost like saying who would you rather have as your captain Steve Yzerman or Scott Stevens? Maybe it's my opinion but i'd want the guy who can help lead the team offensively and play excellent defensively.

West19

Jul 19, 2004
easton122 said:
No offense to Phaneuf who i'd love to have in Philly but this should be Richards team. It's almost like saying who would you rather have as your captain Steve Yzerman or Scott Stevens? Maybe it's my opinion but i'd want the guy who can help lead the team offensively and play excellent defensively.

Thats basecly what Phaneuf brings to the table, anyway i think
C-Phaneuf
A-Richards
A-Bergeron
A-Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad