GDT: Caps vs Yotes 9p.m zzzzzzz fest

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Didn't see anything in this game that points to Caps approaching a higher level of performance.

Decent defense, lethargic offense, this time Holtby was pretty good, no bad bounces, mediocre opponent = win.

2 pts is nice in that there's less cause for panic and so more opportunity for steady improvement. But not seeing the improvement yet. On to the next one..

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Don't they have to put in the effort to create these scoring chances? Right now neither Nicky nor Ovi is particularly good about doing anything in the offensive zone. Placing a skilled RW isn't magically going to turn that line into a behemoth. Those two need to figure out why they aren't on the same page. Or what they need to do to stop pucks being so easily picked away from them.

^^^^ This! It doesn't take a double team to take the puck away from Ovie.. He's not good at much of anything at the moment.. Even his shot is out of whack.. Fact is our top line can't keep possession of the puck for any length of time, so they don't get many "good" chances to score.. The few times they do get a chance to cycle they fail miserably..

Ovie doesn't seem to lack energy chasing after the puck like a bulldog, but I wish he'd put that kind of effort into improving his board and possession game.. We'll see if Trotz can get him/them to buy in to that kind of "heavy" game he want's them to play.. But as is, our top line doesn't scare nor slow down anyone..

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Are we allowed to celebrate that win? Im kind of in shock we didn't take a late/stupid penalty in regulation and give both points away

For sure we can celebrate it. Team is still in a rut offensively, but the goals will start to come again. Meanwhile, we picked up a road win. I'll take it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We haven't won in PHX/ARI since 2006 and were coming off deflating back to back losses... very good win. But of course, this place is a gloom factory.

News flash: this isn't 2008 any more. Ovechkin is nearing 30, we have a coach who stresses fundamentals and structure, and GMGM replaced guys like Semin, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Purrutu, Flash, Federov, Forsberg, etc over the years with grinders and Brouwer. This is the reality moving forward. We can still be a good team and make noise this season, but it's not going to be firewagon hockey.

Also, Brouwer is just awful. He is an anchor on the 2nd line and easily replaceable on the PP. He's the first guy I'm trading if I'm GMBM.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We haven't won in PHX/ARI since 2006 and were coming off deflating back to back losses... very good win. But of course, this place is a gloom factory.

News flash: this isn't 2008 any more. Ovechkin is nearing 30, we have a coach who stresses fundamentals and structure, and GMGM replaced guys like Semin, Ribeiro, Grabovski, Purrutu, Flash, Federov, Forsberg, etc over the years with grinders and Brouwer. This is the reality moving forward. We can still be a good team and make noise this season, but it's not going to be firewagon hockey.

Also, Brouwer is just awful. He is an anchor on the 2nd line and easily replaceable on the PP. He's the first guy I'm trading if I'm GMBM.

didn't most of those players replace each other? Ribeiro was replaced by Grabovski. Isnt Burakovsky in where Forsberg would be?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
didn't most of those players replace each other? Ribeiro was replaced by Grabovski. Isnt Burakovsky in where Forsberg would be?

Are Ribeiro or Grabovski on the team any more? Do you not agree that we've bled talent from this franchise? Whether Grabo replaced Ribeiro is irrelevant. Neither are here which forces us to speed up the development of Burakovsky.

And why would Forsberg be our 2C right now? He'd be playing with, most likely, with 8 and 19 or with 90 and 65. Wilson could be playing 1 or 2RW. Regardless, either scenario is markedly better than Brouwer in the top 6.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are Ribeiro or Grabovski on the team any more? Do you not agree that we've bled talent from this franchise? Whether Grabo replaced Ribeiro is irrelevant. Neither are here which forces us to speed up the development of Burakovsky.

And why would Forsberg be our 2C right now? He'd be playing with, most likely, with 8 and 19 or with 90 and 65. Wilson could be playing 1 or 2RW. Regardless, either scenario is markedly better than Brouwer in the top 6.

you said in the original post that these skill players were replaced with grinders.
grabovski has been replaced by burakovsky. not a grinder. Wilson isn't a grinder per say but Trotz does not want a skating skill player in that slot. He wants a physical player in that slot. meaning that neither Bura nor Kuzentsov nor Forsberg would be slotted there. Same with Brouwer.

Wilson is a kid playing with two established players. Brouwer is a veteran playing with two young players. Again there is a reason Kuznetsov isn't there.

I am I wrong or are you not complaining about one player out of the top 6 as a grinder, Brouwer?

Isnt the Ward/Chimera line supposed to be grinders?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
txpd, you didn't answer my question. Have we or have we not bled talent from the roster? Forsberg was flipped into Latta and Brown. Brouwer or Wilson replaced Semin. Beagle/Laich/Fehr replaced Matty P. Burakovsky/Kuz shouldn't have to replace Ribeiro or Grabovski, but Trotz has no other choice.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
edit: I do question opinion. when the team wins and an ov bashing session breaks out. I question that and I am not the only one. my opinions on the team are pretty well known and my analysis of what I think the team is trying to do also well known. You don't know how I feel about the controversial subjects? I would trade Brouwer for an added piece and extend Ward. The Caps are better with a healthy Laich than with the playes they could get to replace him. They should keep Green. Holtby is young and prone to being inconsistent as are most young goalies. Wilson is the right 3rd for the 1st. Not Kuznetsov. I don't see a spot for Kuznetsov or Orlov at present. I don't think Trotz is a fool for using Beagle rather than Kuz. I didn't like the Orpik signing but understand it.

Last edited by a moderator:

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
2points.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
txpd, you didn't answer my question. Have we or have we not bled talent from the roster? Forsberg was flipped into Latta and Brown. Brouwer or Wilson replaced Semin. Beagle/Laich/Fehr replaced Matty P. Burakovsky/Kuz shouldn't have to replace Ribeiro or Grabovski, but Trotz has no other choice.

I don't see it the way you do. Semin and Forsberg are gone. Burakovsky and Kuznetsov are in. Wilson is in the Knuble, Clark, Kozzy slot. He's young but I don't see that change bleeding talent. It might be an upgrade. Perreault has a goal and 3 assists. Last night he notched his first point of November. How does that compare to Latta?

The roster is limited. Space is limited. If Bura and Kuz are on the team, others here must be removed. If you are suggesting that Brouwer should be gone, then I refer you to the reality that Trotz wants a NA style physical player on those lines.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
^^^^ This! It doesn't take a double team to take the puck away from Ovie.. He's not good at much of anything at the moment.. Even his shot is out of whack.. Fact is our top line can't keep possession of the puck for any length of time, so they don't get many "good" chances to score.. The few times they do get a chance to cycle they fail miserably..

Ovie doesn't seem to lack energy chasing after the puck like a bulldog, but I wish he'd put that kind of effort into improving his board and possession game.. We'll see if Trotz can get him/them to buy in to that kind of "heavy" game he want's them to play.. But as is, our top line doesn't scare nor slow down anyone..

I'm a fairly infrequent poster, but I've been on that wagon for several years. Ovechkin cannot control the puck within 5 ft of the boards. He simply sucks at cycling the puck. He can still score on turnovers, rushes, or broken plays, but once the cycle game starts, he doesn't do much. If he does try to cycle he passes the puck to the defensemen 1/2 the time. For someone with his size and hands (at least earlier in his career) it is kinda mind boggling that he is so bad at this aspect of the game. You'd think he could learn the skill if he spent some time working on it?

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Stop living in the past. It's done & gone. All the useless time spent on looking back. Blah blah blah

The team is as it is now. Look forward.

I'd rather look at all the good things each player brings and then mesh that together in the best way possible. How to maximize what is here now. Not what could have been.

Maybe try Niskanen and Orpik together? Maybe Ov should not be on the 1st line when it is even strength? Ov's strength is his power when he shoots and that requires a particular set up. He's not a dangler and never was. Not fair to expect that from him. Or as I just see disco bob's comment maybe it's something he needs to practice.

The 2nd line needs to have a serious scoring threat. My choice would be someone on the left side. Overload so that opposing teams have to put their top left d against the 1st line and then don't have the top d to defend the second line left wing scorer.

There are many things coach can still do with this team that he hasn't tried. It's still early in the season. Still hasn't tested all the options of the truck.

Last edited:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Yet I feel nothing.

:biglaugh:

Road win. That's not nothing.

Wilson is delivering bone-crushing hits. Absolutely beautiful!

Holtby was good. The entire D was good. Mike Green was too nonchalant as usual but it didn't cost us tonight.

The O is crap. Pop gun offense. How did Trotz manage to open the floodgates and score 2 in 65 minutes? Burakovky always seems to get the puck to his teammate. But his teammates aren't good enough to create much. Ah, well. 2 pts.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Burakovky always seems to get the puck to his teammate. But his teammates aren't good enough to create much. Ah, well. 2 pts.

Bura had a play late in the 3rd or in OT that makes me wonder about Backstrom and understand why Trotz put 65 on the top line for a bit.

Bura drew 3 players to him in the high slot on an entry play and made a beautiful (backhand?) pass to Green for a meaningful slapper. That's creating offense. When was the last time Backstrom skated through space and forced a triple team like that? Everyone wants to bash Ovie for his even strength numbers but what's Backstrom doing out there aside from the occasional give and go saucer pass?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
That top line needs to get creative! It's annoying watching them try the same ol same ol...

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Bura has a sick shot..but it stops there. He has no vision....the Caps need some guys that can find trailers and make seem passes. Open the ice up. Backstrom is that guy, but I don't know...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bura has a sick shot..but it stops there. He has no vision....the Caps need some guys that can find trailers and make seem passes. Open the ice up. Backstrom is that guy, but I don't know...

wut?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
He has a lethal howie, but not enough vision for my liking. It's no wonder the Caps haven't had secondary scoring in forever. Get your standards up...

Last edited by a moderator:

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
And Kuz is ****ing useless too. If I hear how great he'll be in another publication, I'll gag. I have to check the boxscores to make sure he's even played most games. He's a soft, one way player. I don't ever see him doing well at this level.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
He has a lethal howie, but not enough vision for my liking. It's no wonder the Caps haven't had secondary scoring in forever. Get your standards up...

are you serious? bura creates chances on that 2nd line, he's the sole reason that line and mojo started clicking to begin with, he's a young kid. Could an established 2c be a better choice right now? Yeah probably so. But to say the kid doesn't have any vision is a bit ludicrous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->