Post-Game Talk: Caps vs. Rangers (730PM @ MSG) pt2

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
I'm glad it happened on the road so that Brooks Laich didn't have the chance to gin up some heartwarming story that beguiles anyone from clearly assessing his completely underwhelming (post-)season.

It's hard not to improve over the GMGM/Oates circus; next year will be truly telling.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The PP is a microcosm of our entire team.

True but honest assessment. Our team has one killer who wants to score more than life itself, and 17 deferers.

Its almost like we need another alpha male in the mix. Ovi carries far too much of the load. The entire team waits for him to hit and give his all, before they will consider giving 50%. Sure guys like Wilson and Orpik are exceptions, but we are mostly a bunch of followers.

Part of me has secretly felt for the past 3 seasons that the Caps may need one of their draftees to turn into a stud to really finally push Ovy to postseason greatness. I truly wonder how he would react if another offensive player started getting a ton of press. The kind a young upcoming star would get. Maybe Kuzy is that guy.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Part of me has secretly felt for the past 3 seasons that the Caps may need one of their draftees to turn into a stud to really finally push Ovy to postseason greatness. I truly wonder how he would react if another offensive player started getting a ton of press. The kind a young upcoming star would get. Maybe Kuzy is that guy.

The Kuzya + Bura duo will provide our secondary scoring to help the Ovi-Backstrom duo.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Ovi needs help. I hope GMBM is looking at Patrick Sharp if the Hawks don't sign him.

IMO he is over rated...he plays on a very talented team and has his moments but I don't think he would be worth the price it would cost the Caps in a trade.

Biggest impact on this team will be prospects and the draft...just don't see a FA having a big impact without giving up the farm in a salary cap era.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Watching that game-winning goal again, I was not aware of how the face-off loss occurred. Fehr actual dueled to a draw, it was another Ranger who swooped in and passed it back to the point.

Also, it is painfully obvious that we need another sniper on this team. Some of the chances in OT were grade A, but just painfully slow triggers. One play stood out to me where someone received a pass skating toward the goal down the middle of the ice and never got a shot off. Should have been one stride and boom.

Work your magic GMBM this offseason.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Watching that game-winning goal again, I was not aware of how the face-off loss occurred. Fehr actual dueled to a draw, it was another Ranger who swooped in and passed it back to the point.

I think an entire thread could be committed to that season ending goal. There was a lot going on there. Everyone blamed Fehr or the curse and forgot about it. I am still curious who was playing RD, and who was at fault, if anyone?

I think it was a really tricky play by the Rangers and no one is to blame but Trotz. I am jealous they have more than one play for faceoffs.

Well, we have 2, because Kuz decided to shoot at the net that one time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think an entire thread could be committed to that season ending goal. There was a lot going on there. Everyone blamed Fehr or the curse and forgot about it. I am still curious who was playing RD, and who was at fault, if anyone?

I think it was a really tricky play by the Rangers and no one is to blame but Trotz. I am jealous they have more than one play for faceoffs.

Well, we have 2, because Kuz decided to shoot at the net that one time.

I broke it down earlier in the thread and via PM to someone. It was partly the Rongos running a nice play, partly luck with the deflection off Orpik's knee, and partly Bura pretty much being a fraction of a second behind the entire play. It was his man on the faceoff that stepped in and popped the puck out to another Ranger, who then passed to the point. There seemed to be a bad sort out/switch going on and Bura wasn't sure if he should block the point or follow the guy cutting to the weak slot. That bit of hesitation left Stepan wide open for the rebound goal.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Bura also couldn't get his stick on Alzner's chip up the boards that caused the icing that led to the face-off.

Not scapegoating - but losing Stepan and missing the chip are the kind of details that you'd expect 20 year old kid might have trouble with at any time in the year, let alone in a Game 7 OT. On the other hand, there probably isn't a game 7 without that same 20 year old kid scoring 2 goals in Game 4.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I broke it down earlier in the thread and via PM to someone. It was partly the Rongos running a nice play, partly luck with the deflection off Orpik's knee, and partly Bura pretty much being a fraction of a second behind the entire play. It was his man on the faceoff that stepped in and popped the puck out to another Ranger, who then passed to the point. There seemed to be a bad sort out/switch going on and Bura wasn't sure if he should block the point or follow the guy cutting to the weak slot. That bit of hesitation left Stepan wide open for the rebound goal.

Thanks for sharing what you saw. That was the biggest goal of the year and there is barely a discussion. I understand people are ready to move on but if we don't fix what went wrong there we can expect the same back breaking type goals next year.

I still think our RD should have been all over that but Alzner got engaged but not by his own doing. I think it was part of their designed play.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thanks for sharing what you saw. That was the biggest goal of the year and there is barely a discussion. I understand people are ready to move on but if we don't fix what went wrong there we can expect the same back breaking type goals next year.

I still think our RD should have been all over that but Alzner got engaged but not by his own doing. I think it was part of their designed play.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the replay is that Fehr lost that face-off, which is unusual. We won the vast majority of our face-offs during the playoffs and Fehr is good at them.

As RMNB said, it could be his last play as a Capital.
Lucky bounce off Orpik, Bura looked lost on the play but he's still a rookie so we can forgive him.

Lard Stanley

Jan 25, 2010
I was avoiding the forums since the game because I was just too angry/depressed to see anything about the Caps. I finally had some time to digest the game and my own thoughts.

1) I'm worried about Trotz. He preached about getting rid of the "good enough" attitude, but he didn't make any tactical changes to the PP or our breakouts after we started ******** away a 3-1 series lead. He seems content to play games to a stalemate and let lady luck and the refs decide our fate. That's not enough. We have to learn to create separation and go for the kill. Trotz's teams are not known for that, and maybe that's why he hasn't gotten past the second round. How can we have a killer instinct if our coach doesn't?

2) I'm not sure what to make of Backstrom. We've seen him take over games with OV on the shelf. Unfortunately, when OV is healthy, Backstrom goes into passive mode even when they're not on the same line. I'd like to imagine he was really injured, but he was still a beast on the boards throughout the series; it's just that every other aspect of his game went down the toilet.

3) We need to get rid of dead weight. I'm hoping the reservations I have about Trotz in my first point are just his attempts at squeezing the most he can out of a roster bereft of talent. Laich and Brouwer are replaceable; I wish hockey had a stat like WAR, because I bet they are performing way under replacement level hockey. Green cannot be paid $5 million to be on the the third D pairing. We have successfully weaned off of depending on him for even strength point production. Cut him loose and let his mental lapses cost someone else the Cup.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I was avoiding the forums since the game because I was just too angry/depressed to see anything about the Caps. I finally had some time to digest the game and my own thoughts.

1) I'm worried about Trotz. He preached about getting rid of the "good enough" attitude, but he didn't make any tactical changes to the PP or our breakouts after we started ******** away a 3-1 series lead. He seems content to play games to a stalemate and let lady luck and the refs decide our fate. That's not enough. We have to learn to create separation and go for the kill. Trotz's teams are not known for that, and maybe that's why he hasn't gotten past the second round. How can we have a killer instinct if our coach doesn't?

2) I'm not sure what to make of Backstrom. We've seen him take over games with OV on the shelf. Unfortunately, when OV is healthy, Backstrom goes into passive mode even when they're not on the same line. I'd like to imagine he was really injured, but he was still a beast on the boards throughout the series; it's just that every other aspect of his game went down the toilet.

3) We need to get rid of dead weight. I'm hoping the reservations I have about Trotz in my first point are just his attempts at squeezing the most he can out of a roster bereft of talent. Laich and Brouwer are replaceable; I wish hockey had a stat like WAR, because I bet they are performing way under replacement level hockey. Green cannot be paid $5 million to be on the the third D pairing. We have successfully weaned off of depending on him for even strength point production. Cut him loose and let his mental lapses cost someone else the Cup.

1) Well, 1:40 from victory over best team in the conference is pretty damn close to working.. Game 6 got away from them, and Game 7s are a tight crapshoot, anyway. I'm not saying Trotz's system is elite, but it's not like it was a clear failure, despite the bad optics of blowing a 3-1 lead. Perhaps more simply, Caps just did not create enough offense. The only players that exceeded expectations in that regard were basically the guys on Kuz's line (final edition) -- and I'm not sure how much they were hampered by Trotz.. Transition game seems weak,

Anyway, Trotz is gonna be here awhile, let's see what he does 2nd year, no choice.

2) FYI -- the last thread that questioned Backstrom was closed, so be advised :)

I agree that the Caps need more out of him, and they need to do more to figure out how to make him more effective. Actually, I don't think he played that badly (except for some strange defensive lapses), I think he played more or less his game, as did Ovechkin, but their partnership continues to underwhelm. Need to try to find better line combos. My thoughts have been the same for a while -- IMO their quickness+workrate are subpar (except for short bursts), so as a basic requirement they each need linemates that can pick up the slack in that regard and create more time/space for them.

3) No argument there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
2) FYI -- the last thread that questioned Backstrom was closed, so be advised

Yes. For being silly. Not for questioning Backstrom. We actually have had many similar thread about 19 over the years and strangely enough no official "player discussion" thread I can find.

If someone else would like to start one, and keep the topic reasonably within the bounds of hockey discussion, that would be fine.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
I actually disagree about creating offense. The Caps had significant o-zone time and many wonderful attempts that hit posts and crossbars or got smothered by the King. They were not Halak'd in the series, but any other team, they win game 5 and 7 IMO.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Welp.

Over the last 30 years, the Capitals have been in the playoffs 23 times. In 10 of these 23 instances, they've been up at least two games on their opponent and lost.

That's not all. After last night's defeat, Washington has now lost five Game 7 matchups after leading a series 3-1.

To do something like this isn't just unlikely -- it's completely improbable. If we were to assume they had a 50/50 shot at every game they played, then when the Caps were up 3-1 in a series, they were sitting at 87.5% odds of winning that series. In turn, there's a 0.003% probability of losing five series like this after having a 3-1 lead in each of them.

In other words, the Capitals had a 99.997% chance of winning at least one of the five series. And they didn't.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Worst chokers in sports. No question. Ugh.

Please, someone burn a trash can in ritual sacrifice in front of VC. Call a radio station to do it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Worst chokers in sports. No question. Ugh.

Please, someone burn a trash can in ritual sacrifice in front of VC. Call a radio station to do it.

CE859bVUsAAHgqN.png:large

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad