Post-Game Talk: Caps vs NBCSNd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Most teams have weaknesses. The Caps are using two rookies on defense and between them and the opposing team's good players they can get pinned. What did Doughty say about playing against Backstrom Ov and Willy? He was worn out because he spent all night against that line in his own end. All kinds of stuff needs improved. But that's true of all the teams. You saw Tampa Bay. They may be ahead of the Caps and Pens in the standings but haven't proved it on the ice. They played both teams in a back to back where they were destroyed.

I said pre season that the Caps had a shot to be the 1 seed in the east and or win their division again. I see nothing about them so far that tells me otherwise. They are still the Caps. Which means the playoffs are different, but if your plan is to manage assets rather than try to win if you aren't a legit cup contender, they will never be legit

It was actually the Kuznetsov line that kept him in his own end for 90% of the game, but it's good to have two dominant lines. Most teams don't even have one.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Beagle can't handle the puck to save his life.

I counted about 10 times in this game alone where he turned the puck over in the neutral zone alone. Few times it looked like a beer-league player were lost out there. His face-off abilities are a big asset but it's not worth nearly 2m cap hit in todays NHL. Especially on a team that's already going to have to think carefully on where they put their money.
Ya Beagle has struggled controlling the puck. His ability in the faceoff circle is the only positive.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It means Burka is back tomorrow.

Also, I love Beagle, I don't love Beagle at 2.0 per which is probably his ask this summer. His F/O% is fantastic but you can teach someone in the organization to win faceoffs at league minimum.
Stephenson is a decent faceoff man

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I def think they need to keep Eller. He's been as advertised (if he had Beagles hands, he'd be a 7m a year player, minimum, and be close to point/game). If they can lock him up w term for around 4m, they absolutely should. Stephenson slots into the 4C (or Boyd).

Jettison Orpik to allow them to resign Carlson. Then sign a vet to a low $$ to back up Djoos and Bowey. Or just go with another kid and have Carlson/Orlov/Niskanen as their big 3.
There is no way they would fit all that under the Cap.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
My feeling is that we should not sacrifice the future at the deadline no matter our position in the standings or the feeling management has about how close we are. If we advance past the second round (more specifically past Pittsburgh), it will be because we caught lightning in a bottle, not because we assembled a less flawed team. I honestly think this team, while more flawed on paper, has every bit as good a chance to advance as last year's team. In fact, I think we match up better speed-wise this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad