GDT: Caps Vs Avs 9PM BASIC EDITION

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Flashback: Ovechkin highlight reel goal and Mike Green playing defense like it was 2009.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The best game in a while. Obviously imperfect, but very good team effort.

Holtby was very reliable.
Wilson is a monster.
Ovechkin had an extremely solid all-around game. If he continues to play like that, I honestly still see a 100 point season ahead.
2nd line was pretty quiet.
Beagle is a superstar.
Green-Schmidt still shouldn't be a pairing.

Kuz with 7:34 ice time with grinders, will he ever get a chance to play with skilled forwards?

Well, he played with Fehr, and the top 6 lines are set for now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Brouwer is absolutely killing the 2nd line. He's been the worst forward on the team this season. Absolutely love Tom Wilson. He's a machine. Holtby has picked his game up. Loved seeing how excited Ovie was after his goal -- that dude loves hockey. More of that please.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Late to the party. Everything is said already.

2 points? Check.
AO goal? Check.

Holtby as starting goaltender? A big bonus! If he'll keep this up Caps are good.

+ AO with a monster game
+ Wilson is doing his part on the 1st line so far
+ Orpik isn't injured yet and even making behind the back passes for GWG
+ much less dumb from Carlson as like the season started in fact, very nice (btw, Willie did a great short redirect-pass to Carlson in the end of 1st I think, very nice little play that led to the good shot)
+ nobody even trying to hurt Backstrom in the process, they just don't have time to do that (sitting on their arses)

+ Niskaken saved a pair of goals minimum, very calm and reliable tonight

+ Beagle adequate again (just want him to be bottom-6 forward, not top-6, he's a good warrior)

+ Chimera the sniper, not doing much dumb tonight

- kind of invisible game from 4th line

- Brouwer is not doing anything positive, he's dragging down 2nd line

On that last note... Maybe Trotz just doesn't want Troy to drag down 3rd line which is supposed to be defensive if required? Would you think Chimera-Beagle-Brouwer is a good defensive line? I don't think so. So you have either make it Beagle-Latta for defensive pair (with Chimmer/Fehr/Brown?) or just leave Ward there he is for multi purposes.

Maybe Trotz will try something new now when we got 4 points on the road and established some 1st line combo. I think Mojo-Bura-Ward could be tried ofc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Wilson has been opening up more space for Ovy and Backstrom with his physicality.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Everyone played pretty well. They are human after all and no team is ever 100% perfect and mistake free every game. I'd say best win this season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilson is a one man wrecking crew. You could see that when he was skating 4th line. His play with the puck on that line is smart and quick.

The Caps will steadily climb the standings with Holtby playing consistently well again.

Beagle: His play with the puck is better than it used to be. Its like he is being coached or something. Laich is with Orlov without a lineup spot whenever he is healthy.

Trotz isn't going to break up Ward and Chimera in order to get Brouwer off the 2nd line. Maybe that's the lineup spot for Laich when he comes back.

Solid game, but not the easy win everyone seemed to expect.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Schmidtt had his worst game of the season last night, not sure he has that spot locked down 100%. Don't like how small that bottom pairing is, but it's not like the Caps have a lot of options to add size in that spot.

And a $6 million defenseman playing protected minutes...

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Only watched the highlights package last night. Did Ovi shoot wide on purpose to pop in his own rebound?

As he was staring down his dman, you could tell he was scoring. Vintage ****.

Vladiator16*

So we are on the streak now!

Also, Green... he is high risk high reward kind of a player. Even Shea Webers of this world make mistakes, once in a while, Green will surly make a lot more of them, but i wouldn't want to lose offensive weapon like him, he makes this game a lot more interesting. Also, why don't you talk about the hit he put on somebody (cant remember who) the next shift right after Brouwer took him out, when he was unsuspectingly skating backwards? His mistakes are a lot more noticeable because it seems more often then not when he does we get scored on, but like i said, if Mike can stay healthy i wouldn't trade him, what can i say, i like exciting hockey.

Keep it going!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Kuz with 7:34 ice time with grinders, will he ever get a chance to play with skilled forwards?

Brouwer is absolutely killing the 2nd line.

If we only knew who Brouwer was blackmailing.. I don't even remember Juggles ever moving him off that line? But it would be fun to see Kuzy get some of the wide open chances Brouwer gets, only to whistle it high and wide or shank it all together..

Gonna be interesting if/when Laich gets back. Is he going to get 4th line duty or will someone else? At the moment I don't see Beagle getting shook off the 3rd line, since they're playing pretty good.. Chimera maybe?

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Schmidtt had his worst game of the season last night, not sure he has that spot locked down 100%. Don't like how small that bottom pairing is, but it's not like the Caps have a lot of options to add size in that spot.

And a $6 million defenseman playing protected minutes...

I know the general vernacular is protected minutes, but maybe the coaches see it as opportunistic minutes.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I will make it easy for you guys. Its at the 3:40 mark. Green stuck in no mans land not covering anyone. And the pass goes right by him for a tap in.

He's stuck in no man's land because a very settled 1v3 suddenly became a 2v1 when Schmidt made a complete hash of things blowing everyone's read up and Ward instead of taking his man, the late arriving defenseman, abandoned Barrie and went towards Landeskog instead. Green was put in an exceedingly bad spot by the misplay of two teammates there.

When your teammates don't do their job like that there is only so much you can do in that situation. Agreed you'd like to see him not let that pass through but that happens all the time in the NHL, especially when you are scrambling to try to cover up for your teammates mistakes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did anyone notice that the original scoring on the Chimera goal was Chimera from Ward and Niskanen? It wasn't mentioned on tv because they had repeatedly shown and talked about the Beagle pass to Chimera. But I heard the PA and laughed.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
He's stuck in no man's land because a very settled 1v3 suddenly became a 2v1 when Schmidt made a complete hash of things blowing everyone's read up and Ward instead of taking his man, the late arriving defenseman, abandoned Barrie and went towards Landeskog instead. Green was put in an exceedingly bad spot by the misplay of two teammates there.

When your teammates don't do their job like that there is only so much you can do in that situation. Agreed you'd like to see him not let that pass through but that happens all the time in the NHL, especially when you are scrambling to try to cover up for your teammates mistakes.

I also think Beagle was absolutely juked out of his pants on that play as well.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Nice analysis and response Millhaus. I too saw Green there defending empty space and I do blame him some on the positioning, but the whole play blew up with multiple mistakes, not just Green.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I also think Beagle was absolutely juked out of his pants on that play as well.

Yeah that play went from completely settled for the Caps to a cluster F in a couple seconds.

The 1st Avs goal I have absolutely no idea what Green was doing.

Maybe he was laying off Briere because he thought MacKinnon might get around Schmidt and Kuznetsov was going to tie up Briere, but once it was clear MacKinnon didn't have enough room anymore to get around Schmidt Green has to step up and make sure Briere is covered.

I get trying to be in a place to cover for your teammate if needed, especially when the guy he is up against is one of the best skaters in the league, but that was a fairly straight forward play and there was plenty of time IMO for him to both cover Schmidt and get to Briere.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
And by God people, I'm not the biggest Brouwer fan, but why are you bashing him that hard? He brings experience and physicality to the 2nd line. He produces decently. You can always count on his shot. He doesn't literally kill the plays like Laich does. Yes, he isn't some superstar, we know it, but I can't understand why does everyone deny that the 90-65-20 line has been pretty good.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And by God people, I'm not the biggest Brouwer fan, but why are you bashing him that hard? He brings experience and physicality to the 2nd line. He produces decently. You can always count on his shot. He doesn't literally kill the plays like Laich does. Yes, he isn't some superstar, we know it, but I can't understand why does everyone deny that the 90-65-20 line has been pretty good.

Brouwer gets bashed because he's a "Leader of Men" and spoke ill of Semin. Personally, I'm a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->