Well, what can go wrong lol?

We will need every gifs in the GDTs to win the Cup lol

Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You might disregard him, but not a lot of goalies have playoff numbers like 23-22, 2.35gaa, .929sv%. Yes, he's age 39 and his career is just about over, but this is his last chance at challenging for a Cup, so there is extra motivation for him to give it one last good go.
My thing with Anderson is he’s played in four games all season and is 39 so realistically, how much does he have in the tank? Will he tire after a few games? Is he in game shape? It’s one thing to get a spot start and perform well but it’s different when you have to play a bunch of games in short succession.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Based on how things are going...

So do we just punt Tuesday’s game and move straight to resting guys for the playoffs? Have never been so thankful for a long layoff during the season.

“And, SnortAutomotive. Evgeny Kuznetsov’s a snort fan, be one too by finding your local dealer at SnortAutomotive.com.
Tonight’s matchup with the Bruins should be a good one as the guys in red look for one final regular season win of this odd 2021 season, we welcome you to Capital One Arena on NBC Sports Washington, I’m Joe Beninati alongside Craig Laughlin, and Locker some different line combinations tonight for Laviolette’s troops.”

“It sure is JoeB, the injuries are piling up with the Captain Alex Ovechkin, Nick Backstrom, Kuzy, Samsonov, TJ, Carlson and Schultz all sitting this one out with what we understand to be lower-body injuries, and we gather Chara and Eller are being held out for precautionary reasons - likely getting some rest before the start of the playoffs. But it doesn’t stop there. Before the game we understand Tom Wilson opened a door a little too aggressively onto Bruins’ D Matt Grzelcyk as both guys were entering the arena, the refs were having none of it and Willy was handed a game misconduct and we’ll watch to see what the department of player safety decide tomorrow, and then as the players took to the ice for warmups Garnet Hathaway got a little tangled up with the B’s mascot Blades, some kicking and punching ensued and the refs decided that both guys are done for the night Joe B.”

“Certainly an interesting lineup tonight as we bring you these Dunkin’ game notes, and tonight marks Scott Arniel’s Caps playing debut, centering a line flanked by Pheonix Copley and Brendon Dillon as the Caps go 6 forwards and 3-and-half defensemen, with Craig Anderson in net backed up tonight by life-long caps fan Dorothea from Arlington, Virginia making her NHL debut on this her 92nd birthday.”

“Way to go Dorothea, and a happy birthday to you, what a moment this must be for her.”

“Locker as a former player what goes through your mind as you play in your first NHL game and knowing that the playoff starter position is still up for grabs?”

“It’s a lot, Joe, and as we see Dorothea make her way back to the bench ahead of puck drop you just know she’s going to be all nerves and osteoarthritis medication for the first 15 or so, but no doubt she’ll settle into the game and be ready if she’s called upon.”

“We’ll step away for just a moment as we await to see how returning Cap Alan May and the boys in red square up against the Bruins...”

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's his touch/short passes that have been picked off. Either it is something that he can have corrected now that he's on a team with much better coaching or it could be because he's still getting use to the system and habits/patterns of his teammates. He's doing a lot of good things. I think over time(this seasons playoffs and next season) he we will become a better player.

Sorry I may be missing it due to not seeing every second of every game like years past, but I don't get this short/touch pass complaint. When I watch Mantha I see someone who is exceptionally deft with such passes and subtle stick work despite his size, and in general.

His height, tempo of motion, and stride may give the impression he's loafing more than he is. His hands are quick.

The one legit complaint people might make after taking all that into account is a tendency to hover high in the zone on defense but if you watch other players/lines it seems we've adopted a more zone-like system anyway and this appears to be the concept (as opposed the previous man-defense where you'd chase your man all over the zone).

Also credit him for finding the open man on some of these goals. The Sprong assist is obvious but the nugget goal from Eller doesn't happen if Mantha does the selfish, obvious thing and take that shot from the margin of the high slot. There's too many bodies in the way and the minder was squared up, iirc. But he made a shifty little pass to Eller who was in an unlikely shooting position, but it worked.

He's going to make mistakes but I don't get all the negative comments so far.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
My thing with Anderson is he’s played in four games all season and is 39 so realistically, how much does he have in the tank? Will he tire after a few games? Is he in game shape? It’s one thing to get a spot start and perform well but it’s different when you have to play a bunch of games in short succession.

Anderson is a back up goaltender who, like Lundqvist could be counted to provide veteran stability if needed in a big game. Neither guy was going to carry a successful cup run.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You might disregard him, but not a lot of goalies have playoff numbers like 23-22, 2.35gaa, .929sv%. Yes, he's age 39 and his career is just about over, but this is his last chance at challenging for a Cup, so there is extra motivation for him to give it one last good go.

If the Caps needed a goalie to start a game 5 in a tied series because the starter was unavailable, I would trust Anderson. Its not new territory for him.

I am more worried about the balance of the team. Mantha was the only player in the top 6 playing by the end of that game and I dont just dismiss what happened to Wilson. I have a hard time believe that all of these guys are no big deal.

The high from the TJ hattie will wear off and Kuzy will still be a problem. Last night Anderson was playing Sammy's game. I worry about that stuff

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Lavi has been nothing short of amazing. I thought as a coach Trotz was very good for us. He was really good at getting the guys to buy into his system and playing together. Lavi has been a level above that. What he got the team to do last night was spectacular.

Also what a find Sprong has been. The guy needs to play decent amount of minutes even when the team is healthy.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Also why does every goalie play so damn well against us? Lyon was friggin great last night.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lavi has been nothing short of amazing. I thought as a coach Trotz was very good for us. He was really good at getting the guys to buy into his system and playing together. Lavi has been a level above that. What he got the team to do last night was spectacular.

Also what a find Sprong has been. The guy needs to play decent amount of minutes even when the team is healthy.

Have you heard Laviolette talk about Raffl? I think there is a reasonable chance that with a full forward group able to play that Raffl plays and Sprong doesnt.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Raffl had 4 goals in 9 Playoff games last season. I don't think they acquired him to sit out once the Playoffs begin.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
It would be stupid to sit Sprong out IMO. What else does he need to do to get a shot?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It would be stupid to sit Sprong out IMO. What else does he need to do to get a shot?

Lavy cares about responsible forward play because his defense activating into the offense is so critical. Playoffs are a tighter and more physical brand of hockey. I can easily see Raffl in and Sprong out. If the Caps struggle to score, Sprong gets in. If the goaltending is nervous, the that makes it harder to put a pure goal scorer in over a tight all around player.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think we need to ditch the "this guy needs more ice time" mentality. They're clearly working on Next Man Up 2.0 and every guy on that team is finding out he can step in and elevate his game when needed.

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I have been really impressed with Sprong the last couple of weeks because of the following (in no real order):
1. Scores goals
2. Wicked wrister
3. Not afraid to shoot the puck
4. Has become a puck hound on the forecheck
5. His back checking has been 10x better. Several times I have noticed him getting back and disrupting play on the entry

The last one is probably the most important for getting playoff minutes.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
So who sits if everyone is healthy? Sheary? Raffl? Sprong? Who cares. It’s a good problem to have. And it keeps everyone hungry. And if we need a game or two from Pilon, Scarabotha, Mailette, Pinho, if injuries mount up, I am ok with that. Just no more Carr.

My guess is, it will still be Sprong sitting despite my post above, because Raffl and Sheary both have playoff experience and Raffl brings a bit more grit. But man, it will be tough to see Sprong come out of the lineup.

I also think Sprong’s play of late means we won’t resign Raffl which i thought was a definite possibility after his first couple of games. But we need to show a path from Hershey to Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad