Friedman: Caps tried to get in on Kreider, Dillon trade probably takes them out of running

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
"I think Washington GM Brian MacLellan made a stealth move to see if he could get in on Kreider, but the Dillon trade probably takes him out of it."

If the Caps were to include a 1st, high prospect,+ Jensen, the cap would work, so, not sure that they are 100% out of it.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Interesting to see Washington in on Kreider. But, unless Jensen were included, the cap currently would not work. And as mentioned, I don't see NYR doing the Caps any favors and retaining on Kreider and taking on a player like Jensen, unless the Caps are giving them a 1st+top prospect, which I don't think they would for a rental.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
"I think Washington GM Brian MacLellan made a stealth move to see if he could get in on Kreider, but the Dillon trade probably takes him out of it."

If the Caps were to include a 1st, high prospect,+ Jensen, the cap would work, so, not sure that they are 100% out of it.
Why the hell are the Rangers obligated to take Jensen

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Why the hell are the Rangers obligated to take Jensen

Never said they are.

Just from the Caps perspective, I don't see how the cap works, unless they include him. And, even then, I imagine the return for NYR would have to be HUGE. Kreider is the prize of the TDL, rightfully so.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
to make the cap fit. meanwhile what the Caps are working on almost never leaks. This stealth move is someone's imagination very likely
That’s a long contract. Especially for a team with Rangers D Depth. That would be a deal breaker for me. Rangers can retain.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
How does that make any sense for the Caps? Their top 6 looks pretty good to me:

Ovie-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Kuznetsov-Oshie

Why pursue Kreider?

Reactions: topshelf15

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Capitals made the right call shoring up the defense first (bigger need), Kreider (who I love) would have been a luxury get and a bit of a pipe dream.

Also a huge overpay, which I am never a fan of for a rental.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Ovi-Backstrom-Wilson
Kreider-Kuznetosv-Oshie
Vrana-Eller-Panik
Hagelin-Dowd-Hathaway

Yes, please.
even if this were to happen I doubt Vrana gets bumped down given the season he is having. Kreider is a luxury that either splits time time with Wilson or sits on the 3rd line. Kreider has his points playing first line minutes on a bad team. Vrana has more points on the 2nd line of a good team with zero power play time.

Reactions: benbenthelava

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wash ,just seem to be that offensive team that has figured it out...They go for the glitz in the reg season,and the grind in the playoffs...They didnt need Kreider,getting more depth on the blueline is more important

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't see a fit other than a panic move after going 11/11 since mid-December. But, I don't care which team we trade Kreider to. I really see Kreider testing free agency, so doing a favor to a rival isn't a concern here.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
That’s a long contract. Especially for a team with Rangers D Depth. That would be a deal breaker for me. Rangers can retain.

It's the difference between someone like Friedman (he knows Rangers will not take Jensen/Caps wont explore trading cap space) and HF (posters twist things so it make their dreams come true, at least in their own mind).

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Rangers don't need Jensen. Just traded a RHD.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jensen has what's left of this year and 3 more years at $2.5 mil per. That's not a minor matter. Not to denigrate the guy but he falls behind all of Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox and Lundkvist (who will be coming soon). He's not a fit here at all and his inclusion would be a negative. All the other stuff about a 1st and a prospect---all I can say to that is get in line. If Coleman brings back a Vancouver 1st (early 20's?--I really don't think the Canucks are going to make a big run in the playoffs) and their last year's 1st Nolan Foote--I appreciate Coleman--he's a really good hockey player but IMO Kreider's better--so we're at least talking the same as Coleman if not better. So that's pretty much two late 1st's--taking on Jensen for 3 years would be another.

Then again I'm fine with Chris re-signing too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad