Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Owen Power pulls away from crowded NHL Draft field - TSN.ca

McKenzie's final rankings. L'Heureux & Boucher both in the first round, Mailloux at 35. Kisakov at 54. You're saying there's a chance? Dach at 61 followed by Knies also very good news. Those three forwards become my top targets in the 55 range as strong upside plays. Johnson at 68 and Gaudreau at 69 gives hope at least one could be there at 75. Very surprised to see Kirsanov all the way down at 73 as well, particularly with Pronman's intel putting more in the early second round area.

Again, Svozil at 53 does seem like the sort of player they'd like but I'm not sold. You'd need to really like the character and IQ to believe he'll carve out more of a special teams niche than what's there currently. As-is he's a bit vanilla in the Kempny mold. Not bad. Perhaps somewhat safe but they should be a little more ambitious.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Generally what the Caps have to work with at pick 55.

Attachments

• 2021 NHL Entry Draft Bobby Mac List Final 100 45 - 65.jpg
    2021 NHL Entry Draft Bobby Mac List Final 100 45 - 65.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 11

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Owen Power pulls away from crowded NHL Draft field - TSN.ca

McKenzie's final rankings. L'Heureux & Boucher both in the first round, Mailloux at 35. Kisakov at 54. You're saying there's a chance? Dach at 61 followed by Knies also very good news. Those three forwards become my top targets in the 55 range as strong upside plays. Johnson at 68 and Gaudreau at 69 gives hope at least one could be there at 75. Very surprised to see Kirsanov all the way down at 73 as well, particularly with Pronman's intel putting more in the early second round area.

Again, Svozil at 53 does seem like the sort of player they'd like but I'm not sold. You'd need to really like the character and IQ to believe he'll carve out more of a special teams niche than what's there currently. As-is he's a bit vanilla in the Kempny mold. Not bad. Perhaps somewhat safe but they should be a little more ambitious.

Knowing the Caps, they'll grab someone out of left field

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Klimovich would be somewhat out of left field but not by much based on McKenzie's list. He came out of nowhere at the U18s for Belarus and they do tend to like performers at that event. Not an amazing skater but he knows how to score. I don't know how much they need to be thinking about drafting Ovie Jrs. but both Klimovich and Fedotov have elements of that goal scoring. At 55 I'd opt for someone a little more dynamic all-around. Then again, goals is goals.

After McKenzie's top 42 is where the main group of options likely are, although who knows where Mailloux & Pastujov wind up. I could see both sliding considerably. Otherwise here's my top 30 best of the rest for their picks at 55/75:

Buium, Helenius, Salminen, Behrens, Kisakov, Dach, Knies, Johnson, Heimosalmi, Kirsanov, Martino, Gaudreau, Svozil, Klimovich, Kidney, Nause, Kapanen, Broz, Zellwegger, Roulette, Iorio, Doan, Fedotov, Allan, Grushnikov, Duke, Winterton, Nadeau, Del Maestro, Harrison.

I'm considerably higher on Johnson, Kirsanov & Gaudreau and lower on Zellwegger & Olsson. I suspect Zellwegger is gone anyhow. Those other three are second rounders all day for me. Roulette on down are more likely options for 75 and would be fine. It starts to thin for me right around 75 so they may not be in an overly strong position there. It might be a range to play it a little safer, further emphasizing IMO the need to target upside at 55.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
file.pdf (bamgrid.com) Caps draft guide pdf.
It will mark the first time the Capitals select 55th overall since selecting defenseman Dmitry Orlov in 2009. Each of the last three selections the Capitals have made with the 55th overall pick have played at least 400 NHL games (Orlov, 2009: 567 games; Torrie Robertson, 1980: 442 games; Bengt Gustafsson, 1978: 629 games).
The Capitals have drafted a player from Europe in 13 consecutive drafts...
The Capitals have made 30 trades on draft day, including at least one in 12 of the last 13 years.
They're missing a few trades from what I recall. Tim Kennedy in '05 is one.

They look to have made a few scouting hires: Ali Laaouan, Jeremy Browning and Evan Marble. Laaouan had been a scout and director of player development for Baie-Comeau/QMJHL. Browning had been with Kitchener/OHL most recently. Marble had been with Florida/NHL for a few years after working with Medicine Hat/WHL. Another layer of CHL scouts then by the looks of it. That brings them up to eleven North American amateur scouts.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It makes sense with limited games to expand the network a bit. In addition to more video you'd think a lot more ground work and intel is needed for insight. All three should have familiarity with this class from when those players were coming through junior league drafts (as well as other US players with regional rights that didn't sign with junior teams). It's a bit surprising in that they don't draft a whole lot out of the OHL/QMJHL but particularly this year there may be more gems in rounds 4/5/6 from those leagues. It's also a great time to pursue undrafted players to compensate for a lot of picks and add more organizational depth.

NHL Draft prospect Logan Mailloux renounces himself from 2021 Draft - Daily Faceoff

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Wonder if this is in an effort to get his life/career straight, or just to save face from falling like a rock in the draft.

I think he's been pretty apologetic unlike Mitchell Miller, but who knows.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
NHL Draft Consensus Big Board: Top 100 prospects for 2021

A weighted list centered around McKenzie's rankings and then 19 other outlets including Red Line Report and McKeen's. Raty comes in 11 spots higher at 17. 28 of the same players are in the first round compared to McKenzie's. Two of The Athletic's first rounders are the first two picks in the second round on McKenzie's. Kisakov comes in at 53, Buium 55, Gaudreau 56, Helenius 59, Knies 60, Johnson 61, Kirsanov 63, Dach 66, Mailloux 74. Some of the more significant differences compared to McKenzie: Duke +29, Koivunen +29, Svozil +18, Bar +18, Savage +15, Ufko +15, Helenius -15, Boucher -16, Winterton -16, Doan -17, Schmidt -23, Mailloux -39.

2021-22 National Junior Team Summer Showcase Roster (hockeycanada.ca)

Lapierre & Bjorklund invited to Team Canada's Summer Showcase starting next week. Good opportunity for Bjorklund to catch some eyes toward a potential WJC spot. Cossa should be the starter but after that it could be anyone's game. Interesting that Lennox gets an invite over Gaudreau. Iorio & Zellweger invited.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Weird timing, I know.

But no better time to vote for your Capitals top prospects 2021 post-draft extravaganza!

Well here we go!

Again, to be eligible for the poll, player must be 25 years or younger and has played no more than 25 NHL games. (Weird qualifiers, I know. But we do have a lot of older guys in the system and us old guys need love too!)

If there is someone I missed in the poll or you think should be added, please post about it below.

As of right now, I am planning to go to #20, but that could change.

Former Caps prospects dropping out the rankings - No longer part of the organization or no longer eligible or has graduated to the NHL

Zachary Fucale (26)
Brian Pinho (26)
Vitek Vanecek (Graduated)

Caps prospects added

Vincent Iorio (2021 Draft)
Brent Johnson (2021 Draft)
Joaquim Lemay (2021 Draft)
Haakon Hanelt (2021 Draft)
Dru Krebs (2021 Draft)
Chase Clark (2021 Draft)
Hunter Shepard (2021 Signing)

Like in the previous pollings, I'll close the polls after 2 days.

Now VOTE 2021!

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Still not totally sold on McMichael at the NHL level, but a strong rookie AHL season is enough to put him here at #1, where I voted Lapierre last year.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I voted McMichael.

According to TopDownHockey's model, Connor McMichael has a 10% chance of being a star player and an 81% chance of being an NHLer:

upload_2021-8-2_13-15-51.png

Alexeyev actually projects to have a higher chance of sticking in the NHL according to the model, but he has a lower chance of becoming a star.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Assistant GM and Caps scout Ross Mahoney on Connor McMichael last week:

The Capitals' 5 most intriguing prospects: Washington's assistant GM weighs in

Mahoney’s take:

“I’m curious to see how he does in training camp. The challenge for him is to (continue to) have a really, really good offseason in the gym and try to get himself strong physically. It helps, too, that he did play in the American League. He did play against men. I’m sure he went, ‘Oh, I’m smart, and I’ve got good skill, and I can shoot the puck, but I need to get stronger.’ And so that probably accentuated that even more when you’re out there every day practicing either with men on your team, the Bears, or playing against men on these other teams. So that curve is sped up.

“I mean, they all need to get stronger; they’re young guys. Sometimes you tell them that and it doesn’t really sink in until they do get to the American Hockey League when they’re 20 or 21. I’m really curious to see where he is when camp starts. So I guess what I’m saying is, a lot of (where he starts) is up to him, isn’t it? He needs to get in and make a push. I always tell the younger guys: ‘Make it difficult on the coaches. Make it hard for them to make a decision on you as far as where in the organization is the best for you.'”

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Connor McMichael.

The real question is whether we see anyone on this list given a realistic chance to make the team?

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Still not totally sold on McMichael at the NHL level, but a strong rookie AHL season is enough to put him here at #1, where I voted Lapierre last year.

Will Lapierre be a shoe-in for a spot on Team Canada at the WJCs this year? I hope so.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wait what? Why?

Can't they bubble up again like last year if it comes down to that?
They had a bunch of positive tests inside the bubble, and Canada has generally been much more restrictive regarding events than the US has during COVID. Maybe they bubble again, but I'm skeptical.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
They had a bunch of positive tests inside the bubble, and Canada has generally been much more restrictive regarding events than the US has during COVID. Maybe they bubble again, but I'm skeptical.

I guess ze Canadians don't mind looking up at les champions d'Americans again for another year :sarcasm:

(Pardon my French, it's horriblee)

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
For me, easily McMichael #1 until proven otherwise.

Not out of the realm of possibility that LaPierre becomes a better NHL center, but that'd be a few years away from knowing.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad