Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
31 Thoughts: Fallout from a contentious NHL Draft Lottery - Sportsnet.ca
14. Dorion said his “tiers” broke down as follows: Lafreniere, then two players, then players four through 12, followed by 13 to 18 or 20. Los Angeles GM Rob Blake, whose Kings will pick second, revealed: “I would say that we’re going to work hard on about four (prospects).”
Not sure the third tier runs quite so deep but it is seemingly a Lafreniere then Stutzle/Byfield and everyone else draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Czech U20's playing a three game series against Slovakia. Lots of info from that account. No idea if Washington's scouts are there but it would be a fine opportunity to get looks at Mysak & Pytlik, who are both playing center. Pytlik is more of a third rounder but has produced there and offers some size.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Elite Prospects started a podcast with JD Burke and Craig Button, and on the first episode they were talking to Doug Wilson, Jr. (SJS director of scouting and son of HOFer Doug Wilson, whom I believe also may work with the Sharks). Funny/interesting quote (@ 60:12 into the podcast)

"Shoot, Craig, you've seen it - I don't think I've walked into a rink where Ross Mahoney wasn't there. Like, it's crazy."

"With Ross, he's based in Regina, so everywhere he goes it's a connector flight, and in the same week I saw him in - where'd I see him? - I saw him in Seattle, in Ottawa, and then a tournament in Finland. I can get flights out of San Jose - where are you (Mahoney) flying out of from Regina?"

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It strikes me how much of an opportunity European prospects will have this fall due to the staggered starts. They'll have four or five weeks to make a final impression before the draft. It also gives thorough scouting staffs something of an advantage later on in the draft. Really interesting dynamics at play, not just with the Europeans but also some of the more limited/incomplete exposure of others.

I'm coming around to Greig as an option with the first rounder. He's probably still after the four European forwards for me--Gunler, Amirov, Reichel & Peterka--but his competitiveness would be valuable coupled with the upside. This team needs low maintenance, playoff style competitors to help make a push the next few seasons and he fits. Those five along with Bourque & Barron comprise my current short list through the 20's. A deep run and strong showings for the Europeans could force them into the next tier of players, which are still pretty decent but seemingly more raw.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

My annual look at Washington's OHL prospects. Some good scoring clips of McMichael in that twitter thread.

Happy to answer questions.

I had an impression of McMichael to be a 'better' Lars Eller, same type of player. An intelligent hockey player with some good scoring chances, he creates himself. Average at puck possession and passing, but good defensively. Is it correct? What NHL player is a better projection model for him, as a center forward and as a left wing?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I had an impression of McMichael to be a 'better' Lars Eller, same type of player. An intelligent hockey player with some good scoring chances, he creates himself. Average at puck possession and passing, but good defensively. Is it correct? What NHL player is a better projection model for him, as a center forward and as a left wing?

Not sure I really see the Lars Eller comparison.

I would agree that he's average in puck possession situations and definitely more of a shoot first kind of center. But he is not void of skill (as you can see from those clips that I posted). He can be creative. He can score in a multitude of ways. The defensive metrics certainly aren't kind to him, but I do think that he will eventually progress to being a good two-way forward at the NHL level. Not elite, but a guy who is not a defensive liability.

Last year in my top 25 OHL prospect write up, I compared him to Bryan Smolinski. I still think that, that comparison works in a lot of ways. Smoke had that great one timer. He was an intelligent two-way player. He skated well. He provided positional versatility by playing both center and wing.

Another guy I see a lot of similarities in is Mike Cammalleri, at least as an offensive player. It's definitely not a perfect comparison. Cammalleri was a more gifted and explosive skater. But the way that they hunt down scoring chances and the way that their one timer can be utilized on the powerplay is very similar. I think if McMichael's defensive metrics prove to be true and he ends up more as an offensive player, Cammalleri is certainly a somewhat apt comparison (height is irrelevant here IMO).

A third one that I've heard tossed around and I think actually works as well is Patrick Sharp. If McMichael does end up sliding to the wing full time at the NHL level, he could very well be that kind of player. Again, a solid two-way presence. Can score in a variety of ways. Not really a physical player, but someone who's positioning and anticipation are high end.

I'm not sure a "perfect" or even really good comparison works for McMichael. But if you take some of the qualities of those three players, I think you get a good idea of what he could become at his highest potential point. If the offensive game, specifically his goal scoring ability, doesn't translate to the NHL level, I'm not sure he's a long time NHL player. I don't think he has the frame, intensity level, or make-up to be that shutdown type like an Eller.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
In terms of Caps comparisons I think it's more Vrana. McMichael doesn't quite have the same explosiveness but he's that sort of finisher and attacking player. CMM may perhaps be a little craftier and smarter offensively but we'll see how that translates. Long-term one would hope the craftiness and IQ leads to becoming a pro and getting the physical and defensive ends up to speed. As of now, particularly given what they've got up the middle, he should be considered a winger and second unit PP shooter option on his off side.

If he returns to London it should be all of those aforementioned weaknesses that he puts in the work to address. He could rightly shred that league offensively next season but if he returns it's the pro details he should concentrate on within his game. He can get away with a lot of that in the OHL but longer-term it'll get exposed. It's too bad he didn't get another playoff run with London to further underline how important those areas are to have success.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
I agree with your assessment, and as the Caps have said in the past that they feel like they can develop/improve a prospect's skating it stands to reason that Pronman will always be less high on Caps youngsters.

(The Caps also seem to like size, and that's not something that's important to Pronman.)

Reactions: hb12xchamps

illpucks

May 26, 2011
How good will he be? Is he a replacement for Nick? Potentially even better?

102 pts in 54 games in OHL.

The Consiglieri

Feb 19, 2007
I would imagine the fact that we've repeatedly traded away early picks in recent drafts has also harmed depth and top end talent in system. Anyone know how many? I haven't kept in touch with it, but I can't recall the last time we had all of our firsts through thirds. Then add deadline deals of prospects and not just picks and just adds to further depletion. Personally I'd sell everything and rebuild, but I also said that during the summer of '17. That being said, I don't think any believe there's any chance this roster will ever manage another Cup. We're getting older not better. I'll never forget '18, but I do believe it's time to move on and rebuild the system rather than just do one last hurrah when no one could possibly imagine it could lead much further than the second round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad