Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Matty P was another 7th rounder. Lewington didn’t work out but he was a 7th rounder as well so it’s still nice to see him playing NHL games.
Couldn't agree more. I feel like you have to look at the later rounds of the draft at guys who can be AHL studs and handle a call up. The caps have been phenomenal there imo.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
7th round pick playing a role in the Playoffs during Cup run is basically as best you could hope. Didn't work out afterwards but wish Djoos all the best in the West. I think he’s NHL-quality already.

Protas looks to be a great find also.

Jun 15, 2007
McMichael has hit a bit of a wall. Happens to many players post WJHC.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
McMichael has hit a bit of a wall. Happens to many players post WJHC.

Strong night for him. 1 goal and 2 assists. Hes at 1,98 ppg right now and if he finishes strong he should get over 2 ppg. I had a little hope he would beat Rossi in ppg, but to match 2,08 that Rossi has now McMichael would need 24 points in 9 games. Not impossible as he had a stretch with 26 points in 9 games before this season.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Doing a little mock draft and made the first two picks: RW Tyson Foerster at 29 and C Thomas Bordeleau at 75. Really doubt Bordeleau lasts that long but there is some decent depth into that range.

The bright side to the Caps maybe not winning the division is a slightly earlier pick absent reaching the ECF. They're still just two points behind third in the NHL but with the way they're going lately you wonder if something more in the early 20's isn't their eventual draft position.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Central Scouting final rankings. Nothing too surprising. Sanderson & Quinn seem a tad high and Greig over Zary seems a little rich as well. Mysak still too low on a lot of these lists but perhaps good news as it concerns his availability late in the first round.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
2 names i really would like the caps to go for are Zion Nybeck or Jan Mysak. Both seem like the type of player GMBM likes to select in round 1 so im hopeful

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Redoing the 2019 NHL draft: How would it unfold today? - TheHockeyNews
Vancouver, Washington and Tampa Bay are teams that made multiple bargain selections in the 2019 NHL draft according to scouts who evaluated prospects for The Hockey News Future Watch 2020 issue.
Those three teams each had two picks who would have made significant moves upward were the 2019 to be held again today. That’s the consensus opinion of a panel of nine scouts who evaluated the top 310 NHL-affiliated prospects in the game....

14. Connor McMichael, C (taken 25th by Washington)
38. Aliaksei Protas, C (taken 91st by Washington)

Making the biggest team impression is Washington. They nabbed Connor McMichael late in the first round. He’d go 11 spots higher at No. 14 today. And the Caps’ late third-round pick of Aliaksei Protas was a coup as well. He’d go early in the second round, No. 38 today.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Some 2020 draft talk re: the OHL. Always a good read from that site.

Picked up THN's draft issue and was most surprised with one of my leftfield options in Swedish RD Helge Grans at 15. He was dubbed by a scout as a surefire first-rounder. For now I'd put him alongside Amirov, Gunler, Bourque, Mysak, Foerster, Peterka, Reichel and maybe Brisson as the best late first round options to choose from absent someone like Jarvis or Lapierre sliding. An O'Rouke or Neighbours are also a bit intriguing due to intangibles but I don't know if their upside warrants it absent a trade back. That'd be my short list whenever it rolls around with only WHLers Jarvis or maybe Schneider (due to handedness) worth moving up a bit for. The back-end of the first round seems to offer decent depth but I don't know that there's a great deal of separation there unless they're very intrigued by the upside of the Europeans Amirov/Gunler/Grans.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
IMO, Caps will take in 1st round Draft 2020 skilled scoring winger as our biggest needs and also potentially future top6 partner for McMichael. My options are Nybeck, Peterka, Perreault or Jarvis, Gunler if drop down. Your thoughts?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hard to say but it's probably just BPA as usual. It's hard to project whether McMichael will play center or, more likely at least initially, left wing. Who knows how Protas factors into the things as well in the coming years. Goaltender and LD would be the only positions I'd discount but if Askarov really slides....

The late first round range mainly does seem populated by speedy middle-six winger types so it is most likely, be it more of a boom/bust type like Gunler/Amirov/Mysak/Foerster or a more mature fit like Bourque, Peterka or perhaps Brisson. If it is the RD Grans, though, so be it. They do need RD and there are a lot of tools to work with there...it's just a matter of refinement. Similarly, they could use a right shot forward prospect so maybe that helps Bourque, Foerster or Perreault a slight bit. It's a pretty decent group extending into the end of the first round. Of THN's first round group the only ones I'd be leery on are Barron & Nybeck.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
IMO, Caps will take in 1st round Draft 2020 skilled scoring winger as our biggest needs and also potentially future top6 partner for McMichael. My options are Nybeck, Peterka, Perreault or Jarvis, Gunler if drop down. Your thoughts?
You don't pick based on need. You pick the best player available and hope they match a team's need in about 3 years.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Made a hype reel for Seth Jarvis :) thought you guys might enjoy

Let me know if there's a player you want covered next!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->