Post-Game Talk: Caps stumble but then bully their way to a 5-4 OTW over the Cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
:caps @ :panthers
11-2-3 --vs-- 7-3-4

When: November 7th, 2019
7pm EST

Where: BB&T Center

Goalies:
20191104_203946.jpg

Offense:

20191104_204015.jpg

Defense:
20191104_204037.jpg

Washington comes in with a 8-1-1 record in their past 10, currently on a 4 game winning streak but Florida is heating up as of late, going 6-1-3 in their last 10 outings.
They are 7-1-1 on the road while Florida is 3-1-1 at home.
These are two teams that have no issue scoring as the Caps are 1st and Cats are 4th in the league at goals per game.

Capitals boast a top 5 PP, currently 4th at 25.9% so the Panthers will have to play a smart and disciplined game in all three zones.
One area the Panthers need to get going is in the face-off dot, sitting at 29th in the league at 47.1%.
Barkov getting healthy and taking his usual amount should help

The Capitals do allow over 3 goals a game defensively and rank 17th but the Cats are even worse at 24th.
The PK's are strong for each club, sitting 5th and 6th respectively.

The Panthers couldn't ask for a better measuring stick game, already having one of the toughest schedules with most of their opponents in a playoff spot.
A win would continue a decent start to the year and only breed more confidence as a strong home team.

Most of you know the Panthers have a big stretch of home games from mid November to mid December so they need to play one for all and show they can compete with and also beat the upper echelon teams.

Matheson looks to be on track to making his return for Thursday night.
Trocheck is still questionable and Hawk remains out for the next month.

[marquee=][/marquee][marquee=]LET'S GO PANTHERS!![/marquee]

The Fu-mancHu-berdeau

Fu-machu-berdeau.jpg
in all it's glory

Last edited:
Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Hey, I see in that picture that MacK was there. No votes for that salt and pepper? Sad!

Alright, I guess he's not a player anymore, but still...

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
I have met him a few times, and basically the long and short of it is he was quite rude.

Long story short, that time there was two NHLers from our town, Brian Campbell and Andy Mcdonald. Andy was a feel-good story. Concussions hampered his career, but he consistently put up points and won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim. He was so nice to everyone, always seem to do things for others, and would talk with everyone. Just a really nice overall guy.

Brian was kind of the opposite. Rude to people he met , especially Arena guys. It's almost like he thought he was better than others, looked down on Folk. The one time I met him I had breakfast with my boss who played in the OHL and minor hockey growing up with Brian. It was like my other friend at the table and I didn't exist. He never talked to us once. Later that day, my boss, my friend, and myself went golfing with Andy McDonald. Just an awesome day. Also the stories around the local rink where how rude Brian was, and even come to do summer skating on his own time. If he had ice from 1 to 2, he would come at 1:30 and expect to stay to 2:30. It got to the point that the arena folk were locking the doors if he wasn't in by a certain time because they wanted to go for lunch. I thought that was quite comical.

I also met Brian another time. I was introduced and said I'm a big Florida Panther fan. Basically he told me not to pretend, that they were bad. I couldn't remember the exact year, but I think it was '13 or '14. He wasn't wrong, the team was horrible. But don't tell that to someone's face when they're clearly a big fan of your team.

I don't know, maybe I'm hard on the guy because I compare him quite often to Andy McDonald who is a Class act.
Was about to respond in the other thread. Interesting story. Maybe he was trying to joke around with you, but it didn't come out right?

His off-ice personality never concerned me much (always thought he acted like a pro by never publicly complaining). For me it was always his atrocious cap hit, just didn't think he was worth it after Garrison left us and seeing the big decline in his play was frustrating to watch. Very few players are worth that much IMO and if so, they better be in or entering their prime years. Guess Versteeg's claims were right, but didn't excuse Steeger's classless exit.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I never really understood why people don't like Campbell. He's maybe their best dman in the last 10 years, and that 1 incident, even if it did occur, people have bad days. And even if he's an asshole, so what? Gudbranson is one of the nicest guys in the league, what's that worth? Using an NFL example, Tyreek Hill is an absolutely horrendous person. But one of the best players in the league. Do you think Chiefs fans care?

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
I never really understood why people don't like Campbell. He's maybe their best dman in the last 10 years, and that 1 incident, even if it did occur, people have bad days. And even if he's an *******, so what? Gudbranson is one of the nicest guys in the league, what's that worth? Using an NFL example, Tyreek Hill is an absolutely horrendous person. But one of the best players in the league. Do you think Chiefs fans care?
when they are winning, no.

i hear what you are saying, i hate to sit here in my armchair and judge, but athletes are looked up to by our youth and should be held to a higher standard. that type of behavior should be (and is) the exception.

Reactions: Kellyr

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Athletes are just guys who are good at banging a ball around. They are not heroes or role models. I'm with Charles Barkley and whoever else on this one.

Anyway, sorry to hear that Campbell said that to you. Kind of a weird comment, no? You don't have to pretend to be a fan, because the team sucks? Buddy, if you can't root for a team when it sucks, you aren't a fan to begin with.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Campbell is my favorite Panther defenseman ever. Loved Svehla and all, and he was OG, but I love me some Soup all day everyday.

Maybe he wasnt as nice as someone like Luongo, but I wouldnt know and havent met either.

I think being an "athlete" stops when you leave your place of work and you then become a "celebrity" which I can see being annoying.

Who doesnt want to have a private life after all?

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Campbell is my favorite Panther defenseman ever. Loved Svehla and all, and he was OG, but I love me some Soup all day everyday.

Maybe he wasnt as nice as someone like Luongo, but I wouldnt know and havent met either.

I think being an "athlete" stops when you leave your place of work and you then become a "celebrity" which I can see being annoying.

Who doesnt want to have a private life after all?

don't make excuses for him. he sounds like a dick.

he's well-off because of hockey and you know what? all that money comes from us - the fans.

if he doesn't get it/can't show some gratitude/grace, that says something about the man.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones and KW

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
When Matheson comes back, Stillman will sit probably. If Stillman had been playing well with more time in, I would probably preferred them to sit Brown instead. Although it gets a little tricky with the pairings. Brown is good with Yandle because Brown doesn't need the puck as much. Everyone else I'm not comfortable putting with Yandle.
Defenitely don't like lefty-lefty pairings. Don't like righty-righty pairing that much either but Weegar's making it work. If Stillman was in over Brown, I wouldn't mind trying him with Ekblad. But then that leaves Weegar with Yandle for me. And again, I would prefer not to have Weegar with Yandle, but I would go with it.

peterbiz09

Jun 24, 2012
Miami, FL

Never did I think these two would be tried together but Q is da man.
Cant wait for Matheson to come back and shore up a solid 2nd pairing with Anton.

Ekblad is no longer "trash", right.......riiiight?

Truth is he was never trash. He's having another solid year and he's a big part of the backend. He's never gonna wow us with his skating but he's elusive enough and positionally sound to hold his own. With a smart partner like Weegar its not a surprise that they are both doing well.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Truth is he was never trash. He's having another solid year and he's a big part of the backend. He's never gonna wow us with his skating but he's elusive enough and positionally sound to hold his own. With a smart partner like Weegar its not a surprise that they are both doing well.

Looks like all three, Ek, Weegar and Math are getting better under Q

Reactions: Vilam

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Reactions: CanadianPantherFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad