Confirmed with Link: Caps sign madison bowey to 2 year deal at 1 mil per

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I haven't liked any part of Bowey's game in the 51 games he played. He didn't look ready for the NHL at all. He should have done more development time with Hershey. Frankly I think re-signing Jerabek would have been better than re-signing Bowey. Right now Bowey looks like somewhat of a bust.

So sign the 27 year old UFA, for slightly more than a 1 mil, over the 23 year old who comes out of this deal still an RFA? If Bowey loses his job in camp, I really hope it is to another cost controlled prospect who has paid his dues in Hershey, just as Bowey has done.

Reactions: maacoshark

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Here's the thing with Bowey. They committed to him cutting his teeth last year. And then he got to watch and learn proper what he was doing wrong, and bonus points for how to win a cup. So I think its safe to think this past year was a great learning experience for him.

It just looked like the speed of the NHL forwards was a bit much for him. He may need work on his positioning, but his pivots and skating look fine. He had that deer in the headlights thing. It's ok, Orlov still does too at times.

What I want to see? Aggressiveness. When he is failing to match the speed of NHL forwards blowing by him, eventually he could try to hit them. At least make the forward think for next shift. Being aggressive will bump up his compete level. Play angry and I think you will see he has no problems with that little punk forward trying to wide on him.

Since Orpik is gone we can say he was dragging Bowey down ;)

he got torched doing that type of thing last year. I want to say it was Voracek if not Giroux, but that type of aggressive step up is something you can really only do with experience ala Orpik, or a naturally good read of the play ala Orlov.

my worry with Bowey is the same that it's been since watching his playoff time with Kelowna. Tools are all there, but I genuinely don't think he'll ever reach the ceiling his body is capable of.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I missed any attempts at hitting. I suspect he got burned more by trying to learn to play position-ally, vs instinctively which he probably did for much of his career. Most every time I saw him struggle, he was taking weak stick penalties as guys were going wide on him. He was a turnstile. A guy goes wide, you shade and favor him right into the boards. Seems simple enough to me. PLAY THE BODY. I know, its a lost art in the no hit league that has become the norm for all but a few playoff series.

I can accept shoddy D play with young offensive D men. But did he show enough of an offensive skill set to make it worth our while? I see the tools, but think he was largely grounded to focus on D. I sure hope he has a lot more to offer offensively than we saw.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
51 games of not looking like an NHL player.

Anyway, it's 200k. I don't really care that much.
I disagree. He showed promise. Remember he is still young. His biggest problem was he needed to make quicker decisions. He should improve with the experience. He has the tools to be an NHL dman. Hopefully he can continue to developed.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Caps seem to have extra space luxury, so they spent a little bit here. Maybe it’s akin to the Tom Wilson “overpay”. Probably work out for GMBM. He knows what he’s doing.

They need another d-man. Perhaps a different G. Wilson. They’ve got 7.625 left, and that’s w Copley. More like 8.25 if Copley isn’t counted (read, a more expensive backup G).

I still think Orpik is waiting on Wilson. If 43 signs for 4.5m/yr, then Brooks can get close to 2m and he stays with us. If Tom is north of 5m, then Brooks would only get under 1.5m and he leaves. That’s my read.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
The second year makes this understandable. But contrary to some reactions, the raise wouldn't have been at all justifiable if not for the second year.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I actually expected to be a little over million, like 1,2 or something.

Good, good.

Bowey is a tough asset though. Lots of raw potential, but we dont really have much time or space to wait for it. He goes wasted as a 7D, but not sure i want to see him on the left side on third pairing either. It should be him or Djoos, not him and Djoos. But wouldnt be suprised if we start with what we have now and go for vet-guy later in the season.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
He played 51 games in nhl last year. He wasant gonna agree to a 100k raise

Maybe, but another way to look at it is that he just got the same money that we gave a young wing who played 75 games in the NHL last year and was a playoff stud that scored some clutch goals that contributed to a Cup win while Bowey was eating nachos in the stands. So his 51-game pedigree that led to a demotion and the necessity to trade assets for 2 replacements doesn't smell like a reason for a 33% raise.

I'm fine with it, but I agree with Hive -- there's no other justification for this much of a raise aside from unrealized potential more associated with his draft position than what he's actually done on NHL ice. There's little indication that he's any further along between the ears than he was last season when he went total moron and posted a video of himself smoking weed on Instagram.

And still another way to look at it is that this is the exact reason people shouldn't be ready to punt on Andre Burakovsky. If you're willing to plunk down a 33% raise for 2 more years of Bowey because he's still young and can still turn into something special, just keep in mind that Burakovsky is the same exact age, they're only 30 picks apart in the same draft, and Burakovsky has actually delivered on a sizable portion of his potential. He's just as likely to keep developing, arguably more so.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This is Burka's make or break year, he absolutely has to stay healthy and start producing.

Unless Connelly blows up this is his last season in D.C. and I think Gersich and Barber will get time this season and if either shows they can produce then Andre is gone. I also think there is an outside chance if Axel shows what he showed in Sweden he will get a shot by mid-season, but the following season for sure.

Jun 15, 2007
Maybe, but another way to look at it is that he just got the same money that we gave a young wing who played 75 games in the NHL last year and was a playoff stud that scored some clutch goals that contributed to a Cup win while Bowey was eating nachos in the stands. So his 51-game pedigree that led to a demotion and the necessity to trade assets for 2 replacements doesn't smell like a reason for a 33% raise.

I'm fine with it, but I agree with Hive -- there's no other justification for this much of a raise aside from unrealized potential more associated with his draft position than what he's actually done on NHL ice. There's little indication that he's any further along between the ears than he was last season when he went total moron and posted a video of himself smoking weed on Instagram.

And still another way to look at it is that this is the exact reason people shouldn't be ready to punt on Andre Burakovsky. If you're willing to plunk down a 33% raise for 2 more years of Bowey because he's still young and can still turn into something special, just keep in mind that Burakovsky is the same exact age, they're only 30 picks apart in the same draft, and Burakovsky has actually delivered on a sizable portion of his potential. He's just as likely to keep developing, arguably more so.

Yikes I must've missed this weed video.

I know some people think hockey sense and actual IQ are not 100% correlated but it honestly explains a lot.

Jun 15, 2007
This is Burka's make or break year, he absolutely has to stay healthy and start producing.

Unless Connelly blows up this is his last season in D.C. and I think Gersich and Barber will get time this season and if either shows they can produce then Andre is gone. I also think there is an outside chance if Axel shows what he showed in Sweden he will get a shot by mid-season, but the following season for sure.

As in you think the Caps will move on from Connolly or he will move on?

Because I'm not sure the Caps can find a better player than Connolly for the same price. Always nice to have cheap scoring on the third line.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

I disagree. You are comparing Bowey to a couple of forwards. There is no comparison. Especially comparing his developement to Burakovsky. Making the transition to the pros is a lot more difficult for a defencman.
Come on man, Burakovsky is a winger which is by far the easiest position to play when making the transition to the NHL. The guy either doesnt get it or he us unwilling to learn. Its time to let him go.
As for the smoking video. Who fricken cares. I dont think we even know for sure what he was smoking. If it was weed, So What. There are worse things than weed. Alcohol is even worse.
Weed is going to be legal in Canada soon anyway.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think anyone cares he's smoking weed. People care that he lacks the judgement to know that posting that video of him smoking weed is a bad idea.

Reactions: EYEuhFRAYtee

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I disagree. You are comparing Bowey to a couple of forwards.

No, I compared his deal to the deal of a forward, and pointed out that he's at the same point in his development as another forward. I'm not comparing wings and defensemen, I'm comparing the money they make relative to value and their development trajectories.

There is no comparison. Especially comparing his developement to Burakovsky. Making the transition to the pros is a lot more difficult for a defencman.

One has little to do with the other and you're simplifying it too much. Burakovsky isn't trying to make it in the NHL as a wing. He's trying to live up to a 1W ceiling and a phenomenal junior career. He's absolutely an NHL-level wing, but he's expected to be quite a bit more than that.

The expectations for Madison Bowey are much lower. If he develops into a reliable 6D, that's a win and not a super-challenging bar to clear for a guy with his pedigree.

Your simplifications aside, the bottom line is that it's absolutely more challenging to live up to 1W expectations than 6D expectations. Burakovsky's bar was eased a bit by being a LW prospect for a team that has the best LW in the game. But he'll still be considered a bust if he doesn't become a solid 2W.

Bowey is a RD prospect on a team that has Niskanen and Carlson. We'd be overjoyed if he locked up 3RD even if he has to be carried a bit by a partner, and it probably wouldn't bug us too much if he spent some time as 7D while he figures it out. These are not lofty goals.

The guy either doesnt get it or he us unwilling to learn. Its time to let him go.

So a 23-year-old NHL wing with a point in half of his 250 games that's been developed poorly by the organization is a guy you have to get rid of because he's dumb or unwilling despite no evidence of him being either dumb or unwilling.

But a 23-year-old defenseman having difficulty making the jump is worth a 2-year commitment and a 33% raise because he's young and still has time to grow despite showing little growth and glaring evidence of being dumb?

Sorry, but those two ideas don't jibe well together.

So What. There are worse things than weed.

I don't have a problem with weed at all. It's the colossal stupidity I take issue with. It takes a staggering amount of idiocy to post a video of yourself doing something criminal on social media when you have a multi-million dollar career hanging in the balance. Judgement that poor is a red flag, especially connected to the only NHL-caliber RD prospect we have. This club has a lot riding on this kid and it sucked to see him thumbing his nose at it.

Alcohol is even worse.

I agree philosophically, but this isn't a philosophy class or Utopia. Weed is illegal. Alcohol isn't. And again, it's far less about the substance than it is about him thinking "I should post a video of me being a criminal!" was a good idea.

Again, I'm all for legalization. I'm similarly indifferent to legalized prostitution. But I don't think Bowey should post a video of himself doing that on Instagram, either...

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
As in you think the Caps will move on from Connolly or he will move on?

Because I'm not sure the Caps can find a better player than Connolly for the same price. Always nice to have cheap scoring on the third line.

Well Connelly is good for 12-15 goals and about 30 points, so let's say he does that again this season, he has then priced himself out of D.C. I would think.

Conversely if he falls short of those numbers I would think it is time to let Gersich or Barber or whoever get their shot, so you move on from Connelly unless he is willing to come back at the same 1.5 salary.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No, I compared his deal to the deal of a forward, and pointed out that he's at the same point in his development as another forward. I'm not comparing wings and defensemen, I'm comparing the money they make relative to value and their development trajectories.

One has little to do with the other and you're simplifying it too much. Burakovsky isn't trying to make it in the NHL as a wing. He's trying to live up to a 1W ceiling and a phenomenal junior career. He's absolutely an NHL-level wing, but he's expected to be quite a bit more than that.

The expectations for Madison Bowey are much lower. If he develops into a reliable 6D, that's a win and not a super-challenging bar to clear for a guy with his pedigree.

Your simplifications aside, the bottom line is that it's absolutely more challenging to live up to 1W expectations than 6D expectations. Burakovsky's bar was eased a bit by being a LW prospect for a team that has the best LW in the game. But he'll still be considered a bust if he doesn't become a solid 2W.

Bowey is a RD prospect on a team that has Niskanen and Carlson. We'd be overjoyed if he locked up 3RD even if he has to be carried a bit by a partner, and it probably wouldn't bug us too much if he spent some time as 7D while he figures it out. These are not lofty goals.

So a 23-year-old NHL wing with a point in half of his 250 games that's been developed poorly by the organization is a guy you have to get rid of because he's dumb or unwilling despite no evidence of him being either dumb or unwilling.

But a 23-year-old defenseman having difficulty making the jump is worth a 2-year commitment and a 33% raise because he's young and still has time to grow despite showing little growth and glaring evidence of being dumb?

Sorry, but those two ideas don't jibe well together.

I don't have a problem with weed at all. It's the colossal stupidity I take issue with. It takes a staggering amount of idiocy to post a video of yourself doing something criminal on social media when you have a multi-million dollar career hanging in the balance. Judgement that poor is a red flag, especially connected to the only NHL-caliber RD prospect we have. This club has a lot riding on this kid and it sucked to see him thumbing his nose at it.

I agree philosophically, but this isn't a philosophy class or Utopia. Weed is illegal. Alcohol isn't. And again, it's far less about the substance than it is about him thinking "I should post a video of me being a criminal!" was a good idea.

Again, I'm all for legalization. I'm similarly indifferent to legalized prostitution. But I don't think Bowey should post a video of himself doing that on Instagram, either...
The reason Bowey has more value than you think is because good dmen are a lot harder to find. He has the tools to become a top 4 dman. Not sure he will ever become one.
Wingers are a dime a dozen. I dont understand the hype on Burakovsky. He has a handful of decent games per season and people think we have something. There are ways other than offensive production to help contribute to the team but Burakovsky doesnt do that. I'd like to see Burakovsky get traded but I'm not sure he has much value.
And why compare Boweys salary to DSPs. DSP is a 4th liner that got a bit hot in the playoffs. Chances are it wouldn't happen again. A player gets hot in the playoffs and people tend to overrate them. Much like Justin Williams. Mr game 7 my ass.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Has his ceiling collapsed? He scored an awful lot of goals in Kelowna. IIRC he was a captain as well. That points to a much higher ceiling than what we have today. What happened? I seem to remember some injuries, but once he hit Hershey, his scoring vanished.

I presume he was forced to focus on learning defense, and that it remains a priority today.

File under the never happen category, but I would like to see him get a sniff here and there on PP2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->