Confirmed with Link: Caps sign madison bowey to 2 year deal at 1 mil per

Jun 15, 2007
200k more than I thought he'd get but that second year could be good value. Not gonna quibble over 200k.

Reactions: Corby78

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Pretty much what most of said he would get. See being a GM isn't that hard.

I like Bowey have been following his career since the day the Caps drafted him but if Johansen beats either he or Djoos out in camp so be it.

Seems like an overpayment for our 7th Dman who didn't see the ice in the playoffs

You should take a look around the NHL if you think that. Having Bowey's 700k as a backup was a luxury.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It's a good signing but I don't think that extra money is going to be able to put a new brain between his ears.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He wasn't going to take a 100k pay raise, he was already making 700k
What leverage did he have? Threatening to hold out or play in Europe? He wasn't arbitration eligible, and even if he was, arbitration wasn't likely to be kind to him.

Ben Harpur is the same draft class as Bowey, with 52 NHL GP and just signed a 2 x $725K deal
Jake Dotchin is a year older than Bowey, but had a fairly similar year (if not slightly better) and is on a 2 x $812K deal
Joel Edmundson was coming off a season with 67 regular season games and 16 playoff games when he signed his 2 x $1.05M deal with St. Louis.

I guess we'll see what the deals for guys like Hagg, Santini, and Weegar end up being, but right now this seems like they're paying for the 2nd year of the deal and his draft position more than anything he's accomplish on NHL ice to date.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What leverage did he have? Threatening to hold out or play in Europe? He wasn't arbitration eligible, and even if he was, arbitration wasn't likely to be kind to him.

Ben Harpur is the same draft class as Bowey, with 52 NHL GP and just signed a 2 x $725K deal
Jake Dotchin is a year older than Bowey, but had a fairly similar year (if not slightly better) and is on a 2 x $812K deal
Joel Edmundson was coming off a season with 67 regular season games and 16 playoff games when he signed his 2 x $1.05M deal with St. Louis.

I guess we'll see what the deals for guys like Hagg, Santini, and Weegar end up being, but right now this seems like they're paying for the 2nd year of the deal and his draft position more than anything he's accomplish on NHL ice to date.

actually i was wrong. bowey was making 902k last few years but the cap hit was 700k. so he had to go up, he went up 98k

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I haven't liked any part of Bowey's game in the 51 games he played. He didn't look ready for the NHL at all. He should have done more development time with Hershey. Frankly I think re-signing Jerabek would have been better than re-signing Bowey. Right now Bowey looks like somewhat of a bust.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Here's the thing with Bowey. They committed to him cutting his teeth last year. And then he got to watch and learn proper what he was doing wrong, and bonus points for how to win a cup. So I think its safe to think this past year was a great learning experience for him.

It just looked like the speed of the NHL forwards was a bit much for him. He may need work on his positioning, but his pivots and skating look fine. He had that deer in the headlights thing. It's ok, Orlov still does too at times.

What I want to see? Aggressiveness. When he is failing to match the speed of NHL forwards blowing by him, eventually he could try to hit them. At least make the forward think for next shift. Being aggressive will bump up his compete level. Play angry and I think you will see he has no problems with that little punk forward trying to wide on him.

Since Orpik is gone we can say he was dragging Bowey down ;)

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
actually i was wrong. bowey was making 902k last few years but the cap hit was 700k. so he had to go up, he went up 98k
That $902K value is with full performance bonuses. His base salary last season was $750K, and he didn't even get all of it because he spent a chunk of the year in the AHL making $70K.

Him getting a one-way deal would have already constituted a rather significant effective raise of his previous contract. Nathan Walker didn't get a one-way deal.

And he didn't "have to go up." This wasn't salary arbitration.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
It’s hard to evaluate Bowey because Carlson props everybody up, Djoos looked a year more advanced than Bowey but he’s a year older

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->