Confirmed with Link: Caps Sign Eric Fehr

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Personally I don't see why there's so much *****ing about a depth signing, considering Hershey has none whatsoever.

But fehr gets in the way of some agendas on here so the *****ing commences I guess

Thing is, Fehr is just one of a number of retreads that we've placed on the car.

Can you cite any of these retreads that were successful?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Personally I don't see why there's so much *****ing about a depth signing, considering Hershey has none whatsoever.

But fehr gets in the way of some agendas on here so the *****ing commences I guess

LOL...this is rich...what agenda exactly is Fehr getting in the way of? The winning agenda?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
From what I've seen, Devils fans seem to attribute the system to DeBoer and most are happy that Oates is gone. He may have been a critical part and may carry it over but that is not the impression I get.
From what I gather Devils fans are happy he's gone largely due to his work on the PP. Oates himself has said his system is very similar and he's used a lot of video from NJ last year. Everything I've heard suggests it's pretty similar conceptually. Whether he's the originator of the system or a proponent doesn't matter as long as he has a thorough understanding of it.
I feel like the way our roster is currently put together there are significant playing style conflicts that will lead players to overthink things. And we lack determined physical players, who are extremely important because they perform the most counter-intuitive act in the sport (putting themselves into a position to get hurt, be it by initiating hits, receiving hits, working the net. Also being willing to hurt other players) without the natural mental resistance normal players have to fight through to do it.
The raw physical ability is largely there, though maybe not so much in the top six overall when it comes to Johansson and perhaps Wolski. Otherwise their work rate in addition to physical play will be key...not just winning battles and regaining possession but everything that comes after that in smartly creating chances. NJ was very good at translating effective forechecking into pucks being funnelled at the net or from down low to the slot for chances. I'm not sure he's entirely ready but Wilson plays that sort of aware forechecking game. It's that dimension that players like Laich & Brouwer need to show they possess to live up to their contracts (Brouwer's future contract anyway). Ward should produce more playing this way.

Bringing it back on topic, Fehr has shown the ability to get to scoring areas and convert chances but he could stand to be a better forechecker overall. Still, it's a worthwhile addition. If nothing else he's shown a bit of chemistry with Perreault in the past on what could be their Gionta-Carter-Bernier line if his work rate improves a bit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
am i wrong? i recall fehr saying that he needed to play more like knuble but could never really make that happen. he is a catch and shoot player, not a crease banger. on the ward series winner, knuble drove the net all the way to the crease and contact with thomas. fehr would never do that.

Halpysback*

am i wrong? i recall fehr saying that he needed to play more like knuble but could never really make that happen. he is a catch and shoot player, not a crease banger. on the ward series winner, knuble drove the net all the way to the crease and contact with thomas. fehr would never do that.

Fehr does not drive the net but he's an excellent screener, maybe our best.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I like Fehr as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't call him an excellent screener. He might try to deflect pucks on the way to the net, but that's about the best I've seen him do.

Liberati0n*

Hardly.

Jeff-Schultz-washington-capitals-11323113-575-375.jpg

Halpysback*

I like Fehr as much as the next guy, but I wouldn't call him an excellent screener. He might try to deflect pucks on the way to the net, but that's about the best I've seen him do.

His 20 goal year I remember he was constantly deflecting point shots while screening the goalie. He also had insane production per icetime, something like 2nd or 3rd best on the team.

It's between him and Brouwer with Laich not too far behind, and I think he has better hands than Brouwer even if Brouwer is tougher to move.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
His 20 goal year I remember he was constantly deflecting point shots while screening the goalie. He also had insane production per icetime, something like 2nd or 3rd best on the team.

It's between him and Brouwer with Laich not too far behind, and I think he has better hands than Brouwer even if Brouwer is tougher to move.
Being one of the best on a team without many good options doesn't make him an excellent screener. Again, he might tip pucks on the way to the net, but he does it further out from the crease than what I would consider a typical screener would do.

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but I'd put Fehr behind Brouwer, Ward, Laich, and Hendricks at the very least.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Kozlov and Fedorov were two pretty fantastic retreads. I understand it's a strain for some fans to remember back, oh 4 years.

Kozlov and Feds are not retreads... each had only 1 stint with the team.

Of course, you knew this, and posted to avoid the point.

The facts: the only luck we've had was with Halpern, and that was minor, as we misused him.

So what's next.... want to know what face-off we should have had Jeff take, and didn't? That seems to be the level of this argument.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Being one of the best on a team without many good options doesn't make him an excellent screener. Again, he might tip pucks on the way to the net, but he does it further out from the crease than what I would consider a typical screener would do.

Maybe I'm misremembering things, but I'd put Fehr behind Brouwer, Ward, Laich, and Hendricks at the very least.

He's being sarcastic Stewie.

Vladiator16*

Fehr is back, sounds like GMGM getting old band together. I wonder what David Stackel is up to...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I assume you didnt catch the audio on that TX.

That puck looked deflected up and out.

I think he may get PP2 time before too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad