GDT: Caps @ Sharks - 7:30 PM

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Gudas should break off and not even check Kane. The game is over and it's a pointless play.

Blame the dog for biting the kid that was grabbing his ears...

Reactions: Hailand and Phu

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This game needed more of me saying the goalie was getting a shutout, last 2 games with it only 3 goals allowed combined. This game 3 alone in the 1st period.

Reactions: Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
This game needed more of me saying the goalie was getting a shutout, last 2 games with it only 3 goals allowed combined. This game 3 alone in the 1st period.
jones sucked along with everyone else. he had plays on i think all of the goals but maybe one.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
That doesn't prove anything. Every angle I've seen shows no butt end and no elbow. It's a two minute roughing at most.
100% no elbow, but you could literally see the butt-end of the stick.

78325402_440572053507871_3733422067467419648_n.jpg

Dumb move by Kane. Also dumb that they called it an elbow, but I have no issues with the final call.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
How is that not the butt-end. Do you think Kane is playing fancy with pinky-out?
that angle is the worst possible for trying to determine that. look from the side, you can see it's not a butt end. and it was not called one for that reason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How is that not the butt-end. Do you think Kane is playing fancy with pinky-out?

Do you see the butt end of the stick on the top half of his glove? No. Sometimes the stick slides down when you get your hands up. It was still a closed glove making contact with the head which is deserving of a penalty. A butt end still requires the butt end of the stick to make contact. If the stick makes contact with Gudas there on the bottom end of his glove, that's a high stick not a butt end.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Do you see the butt end of the stick on the top half of his glove? No. Sometimes the stick slides down when you get your hands up. It was still a closed glove making contact with the head which is deserving of a penalty.
yup, you can tell from the reverse angle that the hand is being thrown up but the stick is not at all being used with force. it's quite clear. we know what a butt end looks like and this ain't it.

Naki

Oct 8, 2009
Kane is probably going to get 10 games for that "elbow" because it's San Jose. I really wonder what the org did to get shafted by the NHL year after year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kane is probably going to get 10 games for that "elbow" because it's San Jose. I really wonder what the org did to get shafted by the NHL year after year.

Traded for Torres then publicly argued against the league's decision to suspend him for that Kings' series...for the conspiracy theorists out there. A lot of this stuff is just reputation calls. If Campbell's view of Wilson is held by league brass, it wouldn't surprise me if that colors their view but I don't think it actually does.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Traded for Torres then publicly argued against the league's decision to suspend him for that Kings' series...for the conspiracy theorists out there. A lot of this stuff is just reputation calls. If Campbell's view of Wilson is held by league brass, it wouldn't surprise me if that colors their view but I don't think it actually does.
What is Campbell’s view of Wilson?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
In the height of the Thornton-Marleau era San Jose was seen as a respectful, talented team that played within the lines. Then they acquired Raffi Torres, who got suspended for the series with LA after the head hit to Stoll.

Wilson defended him- noting his 6 penalties in 39 games, but more importantly made the mistake of calling out the league, "Comparing the facts of this incident against the actual wording of Rule 48.1, it appears that the NHL has not only made an inappropriate application of this rule but is trying to make an example out of a player who is being judged on past events". Wilson was promptly fined $100k.

You're pretty much never going to change a refs mind- unless, say you are the franchise player and you're holding your nearly unconscious, very bloody team captain and screaming at the refs that they blew it- so why bother. You're certainly not going to have success convincing the league that they made an inappropriate application of the rule. That was remarkably stupid.

While not a tin foil hat guy, since the Torres suspension- Thornton (x2), Kane (x2?), Scott (x2- both 100% deserved), Karlsson, Dillon, and Haley have all been suspended for hits. If I recall correctly, no one has been suspended for a hit against the Sharks. That seems unlikely, particularly when aside from Meier on Del Zotto, I can't remember thinking the Sharks were likely getting a suspension only for it not to be one.

On Kane, I really don't see a butt end, not do I see an elbow, but it was an intentional (albeit defensive) hit to the head, where the head was the principal point of contact, and it resulted in an injury. Kane is going to get 2 games. I don't think it deserves any, but consider it my SSOK- Sharks Suspension of Kane prediction.

Separately, if a head hunter like Gudas or Wilson is looking to initiate contact in a 5-2 game, I am okay with throwing an elbow, protecting yourself, and preventing more games lost to a concussion even if means throwing a headshot. I fully admit that is horrible to write, but Wilson and Gudas have proven not to be players you can trust to not throw dirty hits. On the flip side, I understand that opposing teams likely feel the same about Kane, and I wouldn't blame them for taking that same approach in a similar situation.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

Finally pulled myself out of lethargy long enough to announce that there wasn't a SNOG tonight.

Probably will be announcing Thursday's result really late.

SNOGLossFail.JPG

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 2 at Golden KnightsnoneVGK 4-1
2Oct. 4 vs Golden KnightsnoneVGK 5-1
3Oct. 5 at Ducksthemelkman, LeeIFBBDucks 3-1
4Oct. 8 at PredatorsseroesPredators 5-2
5Oct. 10 at BlackhawksthemelkmanSharks 5-4
6Oct. 13 vs FlamesThePlanetSharks 3-1
7Oct. 16 vs Hurricanesgaucholoco3Sharks 5-2
8Oct. 19 vs SabresseroesSabres 4-3
9Oct. 22 at SabresnoneSabres 4-3 OT
10Oct. 24 at Canadiensgaucholoco3Sharks 4-2
11Oct. 25 at Maple LeafsMegalodonOnIceMaple Leafs 4-1
12Oct. 27 at SenatorsnoneSenators 5-2
13Oct. 29 at BruinsSolmorsBruins 5-1
14Nov. 1 vs JetsnoneJets 3-2
15Nov. 2 vs CanucksnoneCanucks 3-2
16Nov. 5 vs Blackhawksbluefunnel, FeedingFrenzySharks 4-2
17Nov. 7 vs WildnoneSharks 6-5
18Nov. 9 vs PredatorsnoneSharks 2-1 SO
19Nov. 12 vs OilersnoneSharks 6-3
20Nov. 14 at DucksseroesSharks 5-3
21Nov. 16 vs Red WingsnoneSharks 4-3 SO
22Nov. 19 vs OilersLA SharkOilers 5-2
23Nov. 21 at Golden Knightsmatt trickSharks 2-1 OT
24Nov. 23 vs IslandersnoneSharks 2-1 OT
25Nov. 25 at KingsnoneSharks 4-3 OT
26Nov. 27 vs JetsnoneJets 5-1
27Nov. 29 vs KingsnoneSharks 4-1
28Nov. 30 at CoyotesbluefunnelSharks 4-2
29Dec. 3 vs CapitalsnoneCapitals 5-2
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank
2019-20 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.seroes3
T-2.bluefunnel, gaucholoco3, themelkman2
T-5.FeedingFrenzy, LA, Shark, LeeIFBB, matt trick, MegalodonOnIce, Solmors, ThePlanet1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Jesus that's the most pathetic major I've ever seen... The league should be embarrassed they upheld that stupid call. Minor sure, maybe even a double. Major? What a crock of shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad