Pre-Game Talk: Caps @ Sens 1.29.2013 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Jay Beagle has 1 point on the year. I know Dale, Adam, and Randy love the kid, but keeping him with Ovechkin is not a recipe for long-term team success. What do defenses do when they see Ovie on a line with 2 pluggers? Hmmm, overplay Ovechkin until the dynamic duo of BeagleCrabb zoom past 1 point each?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Jay Beagle has 1 point on the year. I know Dale, Adam, and Randy love the kid, but keeping him with Ovechkin is not a recipe for long-term team success. What do defenses do when they see Ovie on a line with 2 pluggers? Hmmm, overplay Ovechkin until the dynamic duo of BeagleCrabb zoom past 1 point each?

I actually don't love the kid at all, and am still pissed he missed his check and cost us a playoff OT loss. I like that he is a RH faceoff beast and can drive fairly well on the LW.

Otherwise, I just keep laughing at everyone that has ever scoffed at the notion of putting a grinder with a star. The horror. Afraid that a Boyd Gordon or faceoff ace with Ovi for a 45 second shift or a period together would ruin a season, despite having zero offensive centers on the roster.

Anyone that thinks Beagle at 1C is a long term plan with Ovi should admit they have no idea what Adam Oates is doing.

I feel this is more for practice, mental practice. Come crunch time, Ovi will be with Nick. Book it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm actually pro Ovie-Beags-Crabb, at least for a while. Let him grind it out at even strength for a few games and spread the scoring, such as it is, across three lines..

does spreading the scoring allow for actual scoring though? ovechkin beagle crabb have not really been much of a threat to score.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Maybe Oates broke up Ovechkin and Backstrom in order for them to learn the new system. It could be with 8 and 19 were together they would go back to old habits .

But i tend to agree with most that this line of beagle 1c will not last

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
does spreading the scoring allow for actual scoring though? ovechkin beagle crabb have not really been much of a threat to score.

Ovechkin-Beagle-Crabb got his feet moving. Which I think is the point. Jay Beagle is a pretty decent player, but what I like about him is that he's a guy who never stops hustling. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it looked like he was warming up to it, and then when he switched lines to play with Backstrom, he was revved up more than we'd seen all year.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Maybe Oates broke up Ovechkin and Backstrom in order for them to learn the new system. It could be with 8 and 19 were together they would go back to old habits .

That's a good point. Plus, with both of them having been on bigger ice for a while together didn't help the transition back to NHL ice. I agree they will be back together sooner rather than later.

As for Crabb and Beagle with Ovie--I love how both guys are saying wow, all these defenders are on Ovie, we have so many opportunities now. They never noticed from the bench how Ovie is covered by multiple players all the time?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

That is an excellent point.

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
Hey guys. Sens fan coming in peace. By the looks of things, Spezza is not playing tonight. Just giving you a heads up.

Apr 6, 2004
I'd like to see Chimmer Beags and Wardo on a line. Speed, grit and they are a group who cycles well.

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
Makes it little easier for us. Hopefully nothing serious though.

If Alfie is out too, we must win this.

Per the source saying that Spezza is out, Alfie is playing. Zibanejad will fill in Spezza's spot, though he will not be on the top line.

IkeaMonkey*

I really wish posters would stop coming in peace. PLEASE BRING THE BOMBS.

The sad part is, I can't even post funny images about this game because Ottawa is exceptionally irrelevent, the Senators have never done anything or been boned on any calls...and what the **** is a Senator other than a guy from Alaska who thinks the internet is a series of tubes?

Liberati0n*

I really wish posters would stop coming in peace. PLEASE BRING THE BOMBS.

The sad part is, I can't even post funny images about this game because Ottawa is exceptionally irrelevent, the Senators have never done anything or been boned on any calls...and what the **** is a Senator other than a guy from Alaska who thinks the internet is a series of tubes?

larry%20craig.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovechkin-Beagle-Crabb got his feet moving. Which I think is the point. Jay Beagle is a pretty decent player, but what I like about him is that he's a guy who never stops hustling. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it looked like he was warming up to it, and then when he switched lines to play with Backstrom, he was revved up more than we'd seen all year.

Absolutely, and I saw the same thing. Talk about an easy motivation tool to try.

Its easy to see how it could get a guy revved up, yes even after the "experiment" ends. Show everyone rewards for hard work.

Who knows, it may be even fizzle on down the line to Hershey. Damn look at Beagle. I have his old role.

While Ovi and Nick may not be thrilled, maybe they will be motivated to play better when united. From my well document somewhat illustrious roller career, I can say it sucks to be on a ****** line! I bet the NHL is not much different.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I actually don't love the kid at all, and am still pissed he missed his check and cost us a playoff OT loss. I like that he is a RH faceoff beast and can drive fairly well on the LW.

Otherwise, I just keep laughing at everyone that has ever scoffed at the notion of putting a grinder with a star. The horror. Afraid that a Boyd Gordon or faceoff ace with Ovi for a 45 second shift or a period together would ruin a season, despite having zero offensive centers on the roster.

Anyone that thinks Beagle at 1C is a long term plan with Ovi should admit they have no idea what Adam Oates is doing.

I feel this is more for practice, mental practice. Come crunch time, Ovi will be with Nick. Book it.
I'm still failing to see the benefit of putting a guy like Ovie with pluggers. What sort of mental practice are you referring to? I have no idea what that means.

Might he move his feet a little more? Anything's possible. If we concede the point that he starts moving his feet a little more, will he keep it up once moved back? Magic 8 ball isn't so sure.

In a shortened season, yes, essentially throwing those minutes down an offense black hole could play a role in where they end up in the standings.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
They should have Ovechkin on two lines...the 1st and 4th lines. He has to play with Backstrom to get their horse power back....

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
We're catching a few breaks, Buffalo didn't have Vanek now Ottawa without Spezza.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I'm still failing to see the benefit of putting a guy like Ovie with pluggers. What sort of mental practice are you referring to? I have no idea what that means.

Might he move his feet a little more? Anything's possible. If we concede the point that he starts moving his feet a little more, will he keep it up once moved back? Magic 8 ball isn't so sure.

In a shortened season, yes, essentially throwing those minutes down an offense black hole could play a role in where they end up in the standings.

There may be no benefit but we won last game.

I theorize he is trying to make Ovi feel forced to shoot the puck. Mentally feel like he has to score the goals. It's that simple. Give him linemates that even you do not want him to pass to.

Ovi was and is attempting to adapt his game, heck he wanted to move to RW. Him wanting to move, is mental, right? Its in Ovi's head.

I assume you did not see Ovi with his passing hat on a lot more since Montreal, including just last game in the 1st period when he was in prime scoring position 2 times and attempted what rival 2 of the weakest passes in recent memory.

At RW he will use his legs more, and can pass more.

But that is not him - the experiment is over since its a short year, there is no time for that big a change.

Its back to regular old 500 shot Ovi.

I think Oates is getting desperate and wants him to get back to what he does best, just shoot the puck off LW largely not using his linemates at all to generate our teams best scoring chances.

If true, why give him 2 great linemates?

Its all a theory. A reporter can show their sack or thong and ask for us all.

IkeaMonkey*

Maybe the hockey gods are making up for last year when we were without Backstrom and Green for more than half the season?

I bet the NHL is pulling a Pittsburgh with us and is gonna rig the **** out of our season.

Then we lose in game 7 of the Cup finals after OV hits the post on another open net they go the other way and score....

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I bet the NHL is pulling a Pittsburgh with us and is gonna rig the **** out of our season.

Then we lose in game 7 of the Cup finals after OV hits the post on another open net they go the other way and score....

i doubt the nhl could get us past the second round, no matter how hard they try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad