Caps SCF TV ratings setting records

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This. I’d rather see hockey teams end up in places where there’s lots of people who love hockey.

I really don’t care. New or old hockey fans. I’d just like to see the sport prosper. I don’t care where it happens, just that it does.

I have a sense of nostalgia from years as a kid watching the Nordique, but that’s all it is for me.

Reactions: calicapsfan

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
This. I’d rather see hockey teams end up in places where there’s lots of people who love hockey.
That policy would be the death knell for the league though.

Quebec City metro population: ~800,000
Seattle metro population: ~3,700,000
Las Vegas metro population: ~2,200,000

The viability of the NHL as a major sports league is all about the value of its broadcast rights. Adding a market of 800,000 people that are already watching hockey anyway does nothing the enhance the NHL's brand.

Reactions: JenniferH

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That policy would be the death knell for the league though.

Quebec City metro population: ~800,000
Seattle metro population: ~3,700,000
Las Vegas metro population: ~2,200,000

The viability of the NHL as a major sports league is all about the value of its broadcast rights. Adding a market of 800,000 people that are already watching hockey anyway does nothing the enhance the NHL's brand.
Sigh. Yeah. At least Seattle has enough fans to support an AHL team. Vegas’ fanbase is entirely faux.

Last edited:

Wayland

Feb 28, 2006
Carolina was a mistake (even for cheap caps games)
The Hurricanes mistake is sucking for the last decade. That is going to affect your box office. If the Hurricanes could have any kind of sustained success the fanbase is there.

I was a Caps season tix holder in the early 2000s (pre-Ovie) and had full season lower level tickets for $25-$35 a game. This was a couple years after a cup run. There were plenty of empty seats then. A decade plus of Ovechkin and crew (and making the playoffs year in and year out) has helped build the hockey culture there in DC. I would love to be in and around DC now that hockey has taken a tighter grip on the city, but let's not pretend it was always like this.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I know Washington is still referred to as a non-traditional market, but a Cup, and as Wayland eluded to, the culture the past 13 years has established it, in my opinion as a top 10-12 market for hockey.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Indeed. They are hockey mad in Quebec.

There is some knowledge of hockey in Seattle with the WHL junior teams in the area but it is nowhere near the same.

I am not a Canadian hockey snob by any means but Quebec would be the logical choice for expansion. Plus, you know the ice would be of great quality. Hockey + June + desert is not good.
I'd rather not see the league expand past 32 teams. A team relocating to Quebec would be better.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Pittsburgh loves hockey or Pittsburgh is tuning in to hopefully watch the Caps lose?

The best part of these three wins is not just the Caps winning making our fans happy, but making TWO entirely deserving fan bases sad at the same time!

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad