Caps roster in 5 years

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
This idea is completely stolen from the main boards as a disclaimer, there are a bunch of threads around for the other teams.

What does the Caps roster look like in your head in 5 years time?

Ground rules: No Free Agents or trades allowed, only players currently in the Caps system, leave blanks if you foresee a gap that needs to be addressed in the future.

My thoughts

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Wilson
Burakovsky - Kuznetsov - Vrana
BLANK - BLANK - Barber
O'Brien/BLANK - Latta - BLANK

Alzner - Carlson
BLANK - Bowey
Djoos/Carrick - Lewington

Holtby - Grubauer

I think that top 6 has serious potential to pan out as things stand, depending on how Vrana turns out, Barber has potential to take that 2nd line spot if he keeps developing as well as he is currently. Another possibility would be Vrana and Barber playing opposite wings on the third line with someone else taking RW on the 2nd.

The third line could be a bit ropey besides Barber, C and LW could just as easily end up being blanks.

I'd like to think Lewington could end up taking the role Orpik is currently playing, hard hitting defence first guy that we could use down the line.

Either way I see the Cap's future being pretty bright, a lot of potential in the system. What do you guys think? About my roster and what you think it would look like.

Last edited:

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Ovechkin Backstrom Wilson
Burakovsky Kuznetsov ------
Johansson------------ Vrana
-----------Latta---------

Carlson Alzner
Niskanen Bowey
-------------------

Holtby/Grubauer

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this is an impossible game to play because there are going to be players brought in from other teams that are on that 5 year out roster and its impossible to know who they Joel Wards, Troy Brouwers, Brooks Orpiks will be.

you are also assuming that not one player drafted by the caps in the next 5 years is on the roster 5 years out. that's not very likely either.

it might be better to guess which players currently under contract or drafted and not yet signed will be on the 5 year out roster.

5 years from now....

Ovechkin and Backstrom and an unknown
Burakovsky Kuznetsov Wilson
Laich Barber Unkown
unknown Beagle Unknown

Alzner Carlson
unknown Carrick
unknown Bowey

Unknown Unknown

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I suppose I could just put the current roster down. orpik is on a 5 year deal. Johansson and green could sign 5 year extentions.

but I think in 5 years there is going to be some turnover.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
this is an impossible game to play because there are going to be players brought in from other teams that are on that 5 year out roster and its impossible to know who they Joel Wards, Troy Brouwers, Brooks Orpiks will be.

you are also assuming that not one player drafted by the caps in the next 5 years is on the roster 5 years out. that's not very likely either.

it might be better to guess which players currently under contract or drafted and not yet signed will be on the 5 year out roster.

5 years from now....

Ovechkin and Backstrom and an unknown
Burakovsky Kuznetsov Wilson
Laich Barber Unkown
unknown Beagle Unknown

Alzner Carlson
unknown Carrick
unknown Bowey

Unknown Unknown

Beagle? :laugh: If he still is on the team in 5 years, this team is a joke.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Beagle? :laugh: If he still is on the team in 5 years, this team is a joke.

There will be a Beagle on the team whether its this one or not. not sure why having a low salary grinder 4th liner means the team is a joke.

Also not sure why guys hate on him so much. He has 5 goals. That is 7th on the team. He's earning his check. That's for sure

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Beagle is fine. His pinballing through the lineup due to horrible forward depth is the issue.

I feel like the team in five years will be unrecognizable. Trotz is effective with his program and Mclellan doesnt seem to be afraid.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
There will be a Beagle on the team whether its this one or not. not sure why having a low salary grinder 4th liner means the team is a joke.

Also not sure why guys hate on him so much. He has 5 goals. That is 7th on the team. He's earning his check. That's for sure

Because there's absolutely no reason to keep an AHL try-hard player on the team for 5 years. You can find a Beagle anywhere. There's no reason for this Beagle to stay here for 5 years. Hopefully he's gone after this year because I'm sick of seeing him on the top line. If he just stays on the 4th line or in the press box, I'm fine with him on the team. Just not for 5 years. :laugh:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
no, you are right. geez. you guys. this is a thread about the long term roster and you are all bent about Beagle. In a salary cap league there are going to be inexpensive players trying to earn a foothold in the league and retreads trying to stay in the league.

Beagle is not an AHL player. 3/4 of the teams in the league would take him. Ok, you don't like him. You really don't like him skating 1st line instead of Kuz or Burakovsky. But he is an NHL player who will have a long NHL career from here out. Beagle probably wont be a Cap. He will probably have worked his way into a contract like what Boyd Gordon has now somewhere else.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Alex Ovechkin - Nicklas Backstrom - XXXXX
Andre Burakovsky - XXXXX - Evgeny Kuznetsov
Jakub Vrana - XXXXX - Tom Wilson
XXXXX - Michael Latta - Riley Barber

XXXXX - John Carlson
Karl Alzner - Madison Bowey
XXXXX - Matt Niskanen

Braden Holtby
XXXXX

Coach: XXXXX
GM: XXXXX​

Last edited:

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
no, you are right. geez. you guys. this is a thread about the long term roster and you are all bent about Beagle. In a salary cap league there are going to be inexpensive players trying to earn a foothold in the league and retreads trying to stay in the league.

Beagle is not an AHL player. 3/4 of the teams in the league would take him. Ok, you don't like him. You really don't like him skating 1st line instead of Kuz or Burakovsky. But he is an NHL player who will have a long NHL career from here out. Beagle probably wont be a Cap. He will probably have worked his way into a contract like what Boyd Gordon has now somewhere else.

I made this thread more to see how highly you rate the prospects in the Caps system, consensus seems to be that Bowey will be top 4 by that point for instance, with Vrana being a middle 6 forward.

Obviously an impossible task without predicting trades and Free Agents but just interested to see what you all think of the future of the club in a vacuum

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Niskanen will still be under contract so hard not to include him. I'm not nearly as high on many of their developing forward prospects. Not sure I'd count on any of Brown, Stephenson & Walker making it.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Wilson
Veteran - Kuznetsov - Burakovsky
Veteran - Draft Pick - Barber
O'Brien - Latta - Veteran
Veteran

CybOrpik - Carlson
Alzner - Niskanen
Veteran - Bowey
Lewington

Holtby
Veteran

I think Vrana winds up traded due to ETA, fit, value and pushing up their window ever so slightly.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Neuvirth? Shrug. Most everyone that's gone are just depth guys.

Hard to render much of a call on Orlov since we haven't seen him play under Trotz yet.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Neuvirth? Shrug. Most everyone that's gone are just depth guys.

Hard to render much of a call on Orlov since we haven't seen him play under Trotz yet.

I wonder about ryan miller at the end of his career. He's a Miller. A legacy of a different sort.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Optimistic, in-house view:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Barber
Burakovsky - Kuznetsov - Wilson
Johansson - Stephenson - Vrana
O'Brien - Latta - Sanford
x- Beagle

Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - Bowey