Post-Game Talk: Caps Rangers 8:00. Battle of the backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Yes.
2G in 3 GP, SO twice in a row +OT/SO. Small sample and all, but this team has offensive players, it's the D that is the weak link. Other than a mid season funk I don't know what to think. Except I don't think you can lay this all on Trotz.

Whoah whoah whoah...you can and we will blame trotz. The Turtle can't handle the playoff sprint.

The amount of overpassing in front of the net tonight was embarrassing. A true leader of mean (can I say that?) would have grabbed his players by the collar and led them to victory... /s

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yes.
2G in 3 GP, SO twice in a row +OT/SO. Small sample and all, but this team has offensive players, it's the D that is the weak link. Other than a mid season funk I don't know what to think. Except I don't think you can lay this all on Trotz.
The D isn’t the issue. It’s awful team play. There’s no part of the team beyond the nets that’s working cohesively or well.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Whoah whoah whoah...you can and we will blame trotz. The Turtle can't handle the playoff sprint.

The amount of overpassing in front of the net tonight was embarrassing. A true leader of mean (can I say that?) would have grabbed his players by the collar and led them to victory... /s
Given all those whoah's you were most likely joking. I did write - I don't think you can lay this all on Trotz. ;)

Team has had three sleep inducing starts three straight :boredom:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The D isn’t the issue. It’s awful team play. There’s no part of the team beyond the nets that’s working cohesively or well.

I think it can be argued (although in this case it's kind of a coin flip) that when defensemen are playing well in the transition game and performing as viable threats on offense they can have a big impact on how well a team is playing "as a team". It's tough to look good through the neutral zone when you don't know if the D carrying it out is going to make a good pass, chip out a "good luck!" puck and hope for the best, or just lose it outright.

dingdongs like Orpik and Bowey can hang on way too long and have to settle on option 2 a little bit too often in particular, although it still plagues Orlov and Carlson more often than I'd like.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kind of hope we struggle for a few more games. Fire Trotz. Hire a coach who will take care of the glaring tactical deficiencies, and then peak in time for the playoffs. Stanley Cup here we come!!!!!

Trying to catch that Penguins magic. We had that once when Bruce came in.....we blew that too....

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If I'm Grubbi I'm saying f*** this team. They give 0 f***ing effort every single time he plays. f***ing joke. Give the guy some god damn support. Pitiful every time the guy is in net. f***ing man up DC...who are you?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
who should be there instead? I don't trust Kuznetsov under pressure. Maybe Backstrom, but he has been quite cold recently.
LOL...Kuzy is the best shootout on this team beyond Oshie and Backstrom isn't far behind. Shit game anyways. We lost before the shootout by wasting a high end goalie effort by support with 0 runs. JOKE.

Reactions: Ajax1995

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I'm still waiting for the double minor for the HS on Wilson. And I love the NBC crew, 0 replay where the Caps were penalized by the refs and those 50/50 moments. Would love to have a replay of Nisky penalty too.
Well, the only replay they showed was a trip by McDonagh on Kuzya but Pierre was able to say that was a perfect play by McDonagh, perfect gap control.

Gruby was perfect tonight. First shutout for our goalies this year, but we still lose the game :laugh:

Carlson should have waited a little bit longer in OT and he would had a wide open net to shoot on.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Backstrom’s play is what concerns me the most. He’s not really doing much of anything offensively these days. There was a little spark when he was reunited with Ovie and Wilson but now that seems to be gone.

Kuznetsov needs to shoot but at least he’s generating quality chances consistently.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Guys/gals I have not been paying very close attention to the Xs and Os lately but my off-the-cuff impression is they have absolutely no offensive gameplan other than the low-to-high fallback option when a fancy rush play fails or after a dump. Can anyone articulate a real strategy they've witnessed? Are they funneling pucks to the net and getting traffic as a rule? Playing from the point or the wall and setting up some kind of overload offense with weakside options? Working from behind the net whenever possible? Shooting from all angles and looking for rebounds? Working line matching to their advantage? Turning up ice for a quick transition as soon as they touch the puck? Etc?

What are they doing other than freelancing? I'm not saying they have to be rigidly within a system and perform like robots because that will get stale but with most of the great teams of the last 10 or so years you can probably watch some film and break down a few key strategies they relied on as clear points of emphasis. Those things became part of their offensive identity.

What is ours?

Reactions: HeyMattyB

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Backstrom’s play is what concerns me the most. He’s not really doing much of anything offensively these days. There was a little spark when he was reunited with Ovie and Wilson but now that seems to be gone.

Kuznetsov needs to shoot but at least he’s generating quality chances consistently.
Kuzy has also been turning the puck over a lot.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Guys/gals I have not been paying very close attention to the Xs and Os lately but my off-the-cuff impression is they have absolutely no offensive gameplan other than the low-to-high fallback option when a fancy rush play fails or after a dump. Can anyone articulate a real strategy they've witnessed? Are they funneling pucks to the net and getting traffic as a rule? Playing from the point or the wall and setting up some kind of overload offense with weakside options? Working from behind the net whenever possible? Shooting from all angles and looking for rebounds? Working line matching to their advantage? Turning up ice for a quick transition as soon as they touch the puck? Etc?

What are they doing other than freelancing? I'm not saying they have to be rigidly within a system and perform like robots because that will get stale but with most of the great teams of the last 10 or so years you can probably watch some film and break down a few key strategies they relied on as clear points of emphasis. Those things became part of their offensive identity.

What is ours?
Biggest things I noticed is we were having trouble gaining the zone. Might have to dump band chase more. And our passing has been very accurate. The last couple games our opponents did a good job putting pressure on the puck carrier. We have to make adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->