Post-Game Talk: Caps Rangers 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Goals For and Goals Against by Period:
GF-P1GA-P1GF-P2GA-P2GF-P3GA-P3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thats a big yikes for me in the 3rd, esp since our overall goal differential is +17, which is good but its not like we're blowing teams away.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Despite what happened last night, the Caps have a good record winning games when they enter the 3rd period with a lead. But they've blown a few of those leads and had to come back to eventually get the W. Are the Caps' 3rd period problems at least partly due to their collective age? Players tiring late in games? Is this indicative of a problem and can coaches develop an effective strategy to counter this? e.g., I do wonder whether Big Z should get a game off every now and then, and TVR or Siegs get a sweater to help them stay game-ready.

And when the playoffs come, how does all the inbreeding that accompanies a regular season playing against only 7 other teams affect preparation and readiness for the intensity of the playoffs? Do teams think they know their opponents due to the fact that they've already met them for more games than a playoff series? It seems like the ability to make pre- and in-series adjustments will be even more important than usual, at least for R1 & R2.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Despite what happened last night, the Caps have a good record winning games when they enter the 3rd period with a lead. But they've blown a few of those leads and had to come back to eventually get the W. Are the Caps' 3rd period problems at least partly due to their collective age? Players tiring late in games? Is this indicative of a problem and can coaches develop an effective strategy to counter this? e.g., I do wonder whether Big Z should get a game off every now and then, and TVR or Siegs get a sweater to help them stay game-ready.

And when the playoffs come, how does all the inbreeding that accompanies a regular season playing against only 7 other teams affect preparation and readiness for the intensity of the playoffs? Do teams think they know their opponents due to the fact that they've already met them for more games than a playoff series? It seems like the ability to make pre- and in-series adjustments will be even more important than usual, at least for R1 & R2.

I've pointed out the win% when leading after 2 periods but with 2 very bad 3rds in a row people are not interested.

I think the age argument holds more water than other complaints, because we've seen all sorts of configurations surrender goals in the 3rd.

Caps have the oldest roster in the NHL. With a condensed schedule that has to be a factor in both fatigue levels and overall TOI. Managing total TOI will impact deployments in the 3rd period.

Plus, we've seen the usual quotes about playing a full 60 as recently as Sunday (maybe last night as well, haven't checked). This has long been an issue for the Caps and probably every other team. Same goes for the tendency of the Caps to "secure" a playoff spot then coast a bit midway through the season, then have issues "flipping the switch" again.

We're at a crossroads, imo. They could fall into a slide and find themselves looking for that switch at the start of the postseason.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I knew they were going to lose after that Orlov mistake. They have been blowing leads left and right recently and they are one of the worst 3rd period teams in the league.

People are really blaming VV? Our D gave them their 2 first goals.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I think it would be complete waste of assets and cap space to acquire another goalie.

Both our guys have done fine, both should be rewarded with the trust, and both can steal a game when getting on. There is no goalie avaivable in the market that i would feel more comfortable starting an playoff game tomorrow than either of our guys.

Bernier as the best option? Really? He is going to be the guy that saves that Panarin breakaway today?

Yeah, they're mediocre goaltenders.

They're going to need more than a top 20 net minder to win a Cup.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Every time I fall asleep or miss the game, we lose. If this is some sort of superpower, I want a redo :sarcasm:

Reactions: Calicaps

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
200.gif

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Watched the first without knowing the result.
Then I was spoiled and I saw the final result.
So I decided to not watch the 2nd and 3rd :laugh:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think they wanted him to be the next Vasilevsky. That doesn't look very likely.

I see nothing in his first handful of games to say that he cant be the next Vasilevsky. He is more likely another Varlamov. Vasilevsky didnt win a cup til his 4th season as a starter and 6th in the league. Binnington clearly is not the next Vasilevsky and he got a cup in his first swing. Holtby wasnt Vasilevsky caliber when he beat Vasilevsky in a playoff series. What are we talking about here?

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
I see nothing in his first handful of games to say that he cant be the next Vasilevsky. He is more likely another Varlamov. Vasilevsky didnt win a cup til his 4th season as a starter and 6th in the league. Binnington clearly is not the next Vasilevsky and he got a cup in his first swing. Holtby wasnt Vasilevsky caliber when he beat Vasilevsky in a playoff series. What are we talking about here?
I don't know why the OP made that original comment but from my perspective it seems beyond silly to put the last few kicks at the can this core has at a cup on the backs of two goaltenders who have played less than 40 NHL games.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Bolts fans were ripping Vasilevsky until he won the cup. Check out their GDTs when the Capitals and Blue Jackets beat them in the playoffs.

Reactions: HecticGlow

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think they wanted him to be the next Vasilevsky. That doesn't look very likely.
He was a talented nutcase that performed well below his potential... until he got it together.

So what are you expecting here?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, they're mediocre goaltenders.

They're going to need more than a top 20 net minder to win a Cup.
I don't get this. Haven't we established, year after year, that being a hot goaltender is better than being a "quality" or "valued" one?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The post was deleted before I could reply, but Adam Fox is legit one of the best defensemen in the league. I'd take him in a heartbeat over anyone on the Capitals blueline right now. He is so good.

Reactions: Hivemind

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Bolts fans were ripping Vasilevsky until he won the cup. Check out their GDTs when the Capitals and Blue Jackets beat them in the playoffs.

I mean, Ovie was dropping unscreened bombs from 35+ feet that were going in. It would be frustrating to watch.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know why the OP made that original comment but from my perspective it seems beyond silly to put the last few kicks at the can this core has at a cup on the backs of two goaltenders who have played less than 40 NHL games.

I dont disagree with that. At the same time over the last 2 years knowing Holtby was coming to an end, I saw no conversation about getting a legit cup quality veteran goalie. It was entirely Samsonov and a back up or Samsonov and a 1B which means a Halak like journeyman.

My view is that MacLellan is hoping that Sammy can be a legit stud after 2 seasons of starting and that between now and then the Caps are capable of winning with respectable play in net. Carolina seems to think they can win with Mrazek. I would take Sammy over Mrazek all day. Vanecek strikes me as a goalie that just provides wins.

I dont think there was any plan that Lundqvist would lead them to a cup. I thought the hope there was that if Samsonov stubbed his toe, Hank could cover for him for a bit or they needed one big game in the playoffs, Hank could do it.

The Caps win a cup on their veteran coach, veteran defense corp, and the support for a young goalie that players like Backstrom and Oshie and Willy and Ov provide. Scoring a goal to pick up a mistake from a kid.

When it comes down to it, the Caps dont have a stud goalie but they have Chara which sets a tone

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I mean, Ovie was dropping unscreened bombs from 35+ feet that were going in. It would be frustrating to watch.

Ov drops 35ft bombs on the best goalies in the league because he is Ov. I dont think its fair hammer any goalie over an Ov blast as if its akin to Vrana or some other regular player.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The post was deleted before I could reply, but Adam Fox is legit one of the best defensemen in the league. I'd take him in a heartbeat over anyone on the Capitals blueline right now. He is so good.

Lets see what happens when the league targets him. That time hasnt arrived yet. Hold your judgement til then. Ghost is on waivers a couple years after being a phenom. It happens all the time. Mike Green was the shit til teams decided to hit him over and over again and he broke.

Reactions: ovikovy817

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I don't get this. Haven't we established, year after year, that being a hot goaltender is better than being a "quality" or "valued" one?

The hot goaltenders usually start out as pretty damn good to begin with. They aren't in the 30s overall in goalie stats.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lets see what happens when the league targets him. That time hasnt arrived yet. Hold your judgement til then. Ghost is on waivers a couple years after being a phenom. It happens all the time. Mike Green was the shit til teams decided to hit him over and over again and he broke.
Adam Fox is a much better all around player than Gositbehere ever was. If Adam Fox has a pair of 2nd place Norris finishes before a train of injuries wreck him like Mike Green, I don't think you've exactly countered the argument that he's an elite defensive talent.

Kid is already arguably a Top 5 D in the entire league, and it's only his second season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Adam Fox is a much better all around player than Gositbehere ever was. If Adam Fox has a pair of 2nd place Norris finishes before a train of injuries wreck him like Mike Green, I don't think you've exactly countered the argument that he's an elite defensive talent.

Kid is already arguably a Top 5 D in the entire league, and it's only his second season.

Go ahead. Blow off my point. Its all good.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad