Post-Game Talk: Caps Rangers 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I didn't get to post this in the pre-game but you guys are ding dongs for pining over Grubauer while the Avs are playing some of the most complete hockey of any team in any division right now. Pretty sure if they had Holtby instead we'd be wondering why the Capitals let the guy go, they're making it very, very easy to play a good game as a goalie right now.

Look at the difference between Demko’s numbers and Holtby’s and you’ll quickly see a lot of the problem is number 70, not who plays in front of him. And I’m a long-term Holtby fan, but I think something must have happened to him physically sometime between 2017 and 2019 to completely throw him off his game.

Grubauer, on the other hand, is widely credited with being the Avs’ ‘rock’. They’re not a complete team, though they are a great team, and they’ve had no success this season when someone else has been in net. Their backup had a 4.15 GAA and .878% SV prior to being demoted to the AHL this week, and had won just 1 game in 5. Grubauer has 5 shutouts on the season. Their D does a nice chance of reducing Grubauer’s workload in-game compared to some teams, but that’s true of all great goaltenders - it’s not as though Vezina Holtby was playing in front of a beer league D-corp, while Toronto’s blue line is actually pretty good this year but their goaltending isn’t. An elite D-corps doesn’t usually result in 4+ GAA when their starter is on the bench.

I don’t think keeping Grubauer over Holtby would have won us two more cups, because I think the coaching and roster construction were too weak to really contend. But Grubauer’s proven himself to be a number 1 starting goaltender on a contending team, who can win playoff series, which arguably isn’t true of Holtby at this point. And while he isn’t making the most acrobatic stops every time, from what I’ve seen that’s because he (1) stylistically isn’t over-acrobatic, like a Fleury, and (2) is usually in very solid positioning to make the right stop.

But if anything, it should give us huge confidence for a guy like Vanecek that so many Caps draft pick goalies have developed into something good or special at the NHL level.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Oh, and pretty decent showing from Samsonov. A lot to like about Ovi’s game. Schultz has been one of the most underrated acquisitions of the FA period.

Not a confident or dominant first period, pretty good second period, and a third period they deserved to win. Annoying loss, but I still think the Caps are trending in the right direction.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
just checking the box score and Panik only had 8 shifts and 4min of ice time. In those 8 shifts he made 2 god awful plays woof

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Rangers play an interesting game. They have a lot of speed and talent but man do they pack it in in the defensive zone. Think I saw they had 20-25 blocked shots at the beginning of the third last night? For whatever reason the Caps haven’t figured out how to break down the layers of defense but luckily for Washington, they won’t need to worry about the Rangers in the playoffs (this year, at least).

Also, Adam Fox is super impressive. Just very smooth and his decision making and poise are elite. From what I saw I thought only he made one bad pass throughout both games (on Friday night which led to an icing) but other than that he seemed to always make the right play and keep his team out of trouble. He’s not the flashiest player but he’s rock solid and certainly a pillar for them to build around. No wonder he was so sought after.

Speaking of free agents who spurned their draft team and then got traded again, how’s our boy Priskie doing down in Florida?

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Nice to have a few days off and get everything reset. Nice little run. Now for another one. we have lots of pieces Right now to play with on lines (with Eller back). I’m fine with Scarbossa as 5th center, but the salary cap prevents it. would have to put Panik through Waivers to bring up Scarbossa or even Pinho. Still a risky move though because we don’t want to lose Panik for playoffs. So unless there is another center injury either Sheary or Panik sit as extra forward.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Team SWOLEvechkin

Oct 4, 2019
Caps coaching staff needs to figure out the Rags PK. If they play four more times, and most of the other systems seem to be working, spend some hours breaking that system down. I know Caps don't draw as many penalties as others, but those penalties will mean more when teams fear our PP, and right now we can't seem to score against NY.
Lavi might also wanna talk to some of our defenders about trying to escape one-on-ones in the defensive zone. We have gotten away with it recently but that won't fly in the 'offs.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
Habs fan coming in peace.

I have both Venecek and Samsonov on my dynasty league. Who is the hot start this week? Haven't watched both goalies play this year.

Thanks!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Habs fan coming in peace.

I have both Venecek and Samsonov on my dynasty league. Who is the hot start this week? Haven't watched both goalies play this year.

Thanks!
They're swapping games and both are playing very well so... we're not going to be much help here. It's probably safe to assume Sammy will take the bulk of the starts moving forward if he continues to play well but nothing is certain at the moment.

Reactions: Karma Police
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad