Post-Game Talk: Caps Rangers 12pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Really good first two periods. Need to figure out the 3rd’s still. Thought Samsonov looked shaky throughout. Oshie’s awesome.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Sammy can go from looking amazing to like a career backup. Consistency is what sets apart legit NHL starters from the rest. Hope he figures it out since he is still young.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Pens fan. So feel free to ban me.

But the Rags defense this year makes that 16-17 defense look like a powerhouse.

alo.png

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Well. Yes, but Ron Hainsey was our # 1 RD. Rofl.
Honestly one of the strangest things in sports is how much better Pittsburgh plays when they’re missing their best players. Crosby and Malkin always seem to play better when the other is hurt and then you have Letang being hurt that year which looked like a kill shot but nope. It’s real damn annoying, actually.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honestly one of the strangest things in sports is how much better Pittsburgh plays when they’re missing their best players. Crosby and Malkin always seem to play better when the other is hurt and then you have Letang being hurt that year which looked like a kill shot but nope. It’s real damn annoying, actually.

I wouldn’t say we played better with Letang out that year tbh. That team barely won every single one of those series aside from the CBUS one. If Nashville has a healthy RyJo they likely sweep us. Ottawa was a fluke goal away from beating us and Caps should have beaten us but for some reason suck at G7s against us.

But I get your overarching point. I think the main reason is it allows players to slot in a role that they succeed in versus trying to have two top dogs dictate games. And our two top dogs are the kind that are way too focused on the other guy’s success.

It is something I’ve always been envious of in terms of the Caps build team wise, especially on the PP because players don’t try to make fancy plays to another guy to help them out. They just play their role and get stoked on scoring. If Sid and Malkin were more selfish, tbh I think they’d somehow be even better. It’s why adding a player like Kessel made us so good. Because he seemed to say f*** you to Sid and Geno and just took over the PP QB role.

Last edited:

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
So.. Your suggestion is to not hurt them too much if we play them in playoffs?

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Just watched this....

getting real tired of watching 2/3 goal leads evaporate in the blink of an eye.

O is doing well, D is until it isn’t, which usually isn’t a question of if, but when.

I know it seems counter to bitch when they’ve rolled to the current streak/record they have....but....playoffs are a different animal.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just watched this....

getting real tired of watching 2/3 goal leads evaporate in the blink of an eye.

O is doing well, D is until it isn’t, which usually isn’t a question of if, but when.

I know it seems counter to bitch when they’ve rolled to the current streak/record they have....but....playoffs are a different animal.

Hopefully Laviolette plays their best players more often when leading in the playoffs. Yesterday was another example of him stapling the more dynamic players to the bench in the third period. It was disappointing to see after he had played Kuznetsov more frequently in recent games in the third period after taking a lead. Predictably enough those games were their most successful in terms of shutting down the opposition after the Capitals got a big lead.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I guess Lavi is trying to give the dynamic players a bit of a rest. They are playing 7 games in 11 nights or something absurd like that.

I do agree that the dynamic players keep the opposition more on their heels and help preserve leads.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I guess Lavi is trying to give the dynamic players a bit of a rest. They are playing 7 games in 11 nights or something absurd like that.

I do agree that the dynamic players keep the opposition more on their heels and help preserve leads.
Nonsense! The coach cannot possibly have a meaningful plan nor be trying to achieve something specific at a given stage of the season. In fact, let's just dump the coach altogether and let the data analysts dictate how the team plays. What could go wrong?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Hopefully Laviolette plays their best players more often when leading in the playoffs. Yesterday was another example of him stapling the more dynamic players to the bench in the third period. It was disappointing to see after he had played Kuznetsov more frequently in recent games in the third period after taking a lead. Predictably enough those games were their most successful in terms of shutting down the opposition after the Capitals got a big lead.

What are you talking about?

ShiftChart - Hockey Shift Data Visualization

Kuzy played 8 shifts in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd, and 7 in the 3rd.

upload_2021-3-29_16-50-11.png

Who are the dynamic players that were stapled to the bench in the 3rd?

Guys who got stapled to the bench were Oshie, Panik, and Sprong.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Lavi loves the 4th line. Dowd is up to 8th in the league in FO%. Lavi was giving HDH line lots of props today on the Junks
They've been fairly solid, although the penalties haven't been great. I do wonder if he won't lean on that line too much when it matters and if they've got anything extra come playoff time. They could stand to be more physical if they want to be something along the lines of NYI's fourth line.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
What are you talking about?

ShiftChart - Hockey Shift Data Visualization

Kuzy played 8 shifts in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd, and 7 in the 3rd.

View attachment 414324

Who are the dynamic players that were stapled to the bench in the 3rd?

Guys who got stapled to the bench were Oshie, Panik, and Sprong.

Kuznetsov, Ovechkin, Vrana, and Oshie. They all received less 5v5 TOI than the 4th line, and all received significantly less 5v5 TOI in the 3rd period than the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad