Post-Game Talk: Caps Rangers 12pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
They need to figure out the center situation. I wonder if that might hasten a Panik trade just to simply open up cap space for Pilon/Sgarbossa. Siegenthaler would also work but guessing they'll hold him for now.
Really, they have it figured out. We have been winning with our current configuration. At some point, we should put Eller on IR so we can do an emergency call up.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That last Rangers PP goal, maybe we could take a page out of that book? Our guy down low behind the goal line really has no role except to pass into the slot or back to Backstrom. Maybe bring him up once in a while?

The Caps do that. They also take that player across the crease for the back door tap in. That Krieder goal is only effective as an occasional, unexpected play.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't think they were particularly good today. A bit of luck involved in that win. We weren't making good passes, we weren't receiving passes well. They looked slow, and weren't skating well.

Regardless, they need to figure out why they keep letting teams back in the game in 3rd.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Wow. What’s happened? Left the game after 2 periods where we gave them nothing and it’s 5-4. Hoped for Sammy to solidify himself in net, but it seems he blew big time

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Had nothing to do with Sammy. He got no support in the 3rd.
Glad to hear that, but I’m not confident in our goalie coaches. Since Mitch left, the goalies are horrible. When you have a guy with this natural abilities, you just work on his fundamentals. So far haven’t seen that

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Blame Albert for pointing out how Sammie had a SO against NJ win and this was in the 3rd period.
The only goal I really didn't like was the rebound to Lafreniere. Still, that was a rocky period. Oh well, at least we get the 2 points and the dose of humility.

Guys who didn't have great games, to me anyway, were Panik, Sprong, Backstrom, and to some extent Vrana. I liked the effort from Osh, Willy, Orlov.

Even when he isn't accomplishing much, i appreciate Sheary's hustle and puck pursuit.

As good as our fourth line is, you'd think the vanishing 3rd period lead wouldn't be such an issue. You'd think you could just double shift those guys in last 10 minutes, and that would ice most games. I would also have Oshie take face-offs where possible, over Backstrom or Kuz.

Today was also a special-teams issue. NYR won that battle today.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The only goal I really didn't like was the rebound to Lafreniere. Still, that was a rocky period. Oh well, at least we get the 2 points and the dose of humility.

Guys who didn't have great games, to me anyway, were Panik, Sprong, Backstrom, and to some extent Vrana. I liked the effort from Osh, Willy, Orlov.

Even when he isn't accomplishing much, i appreciate Sheary's hustle and puck pursuit.

As good as our fourth line is, you'd think the vanishing 3rd period lead wouldn't be such an issue. You'd think you could just double shift those guys in last 10 minutes, and that would ice most games. I would also have Oshie take face-offs where possible, over Backstrom or Kuz.

This. And I would add that for as messy as that third was, they never fully relinquished their lead. Earlier in the season, those collapses ended up going to OT + whereas today, they held it together and got the regulation win.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Some interesting game stats:
1. We got 2 points - Rangers got none
2. Caps outshot Rags 22-20
3. Caps significantly won in faceoff dot (55.4%)
4. Caps out hit Rags 36-21
5. Caps Blocked 20 shots (versus 8 for Rags)

While the third period was ugly, we did still win. Rangers comeback will be healthy for the next game as we won’t take them lightly. Plenty to work on. Both sides watching that period game film.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Sammy is playing better, but I'd like to see them make a big move for an elite goaltender, and a rental veteran forward.
It’s a good idea, but which elite goaltender would be available now, and how much would we have to sacrifice to get him?

I think it’s more realistic to get a solid rental veteran at this point. Both of our goalies are still in development, and it would be such a shame if we’re to lose a series because of raw goaltending.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I totally agree.

Reactions: troyerlaw

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This. And I would add that for as messy as that third was, they never fully relinquished their lead. Earlier in the season, those collapses ended up going to OT + whereas today, they held it together and got the regulation win.

That's because we at least got it to a 4 goal lead first instead of just the 3 goal lead.

tenor.gif

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Watching the 3rd period. I like Kuzy and his celly, but I wish he did this when he scores in overtime or at the end of 3rd when he ties the game or scores the gwg

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Watching the 3rd period. I like Kuzy and his celly, but I wish he did this when he scores in overtime or at the end of 3rd when he ties the game or scores the gwg
ok, it wasn't that a collapse. we managed to score to make it 5-2. btw, Rangers remind me of 2016-2017 Penguins with their speed. Though they don't have the talent of that team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
ok, it wasn't that a collapse. we managed to score to make it 5-2. btw, Rangers remind me of 2016-2017 Penguins with their speed. Though they don't have the talent of that team.

Pens fan. So feel free to ban me.

But the Rags defense this year makes that 16-17 defense look like a powerhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad