Caps prospects among the strongest in the league?

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
That's so far from the truth, I don't know what to say.

Orlov looks, to me, like a #4 with PP skills who is questionable in his own zone.

Let's give him a chance to develop fully. I'm not prepared to call him another Zubov like some ostensible experts have done (cough* Pierre* cough) because that's obviously flattering Orlov, but he has enough raw talent that I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds your prediction.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Extremely good drafting by the Caps in the first with how late their picks have been lately.

010' 26th Kuznetsov
09' 24th M. Johansson
08' 27th Carlson
06' 23rd Varlamov
04' 27th Schultz, 29th Green
03' 18th Fehr

Wow just wow. When you add to this his small but shrewd moves in free agency (aquisition of Knuble, Chimera, Hannan) he has to rank as one of the top GMs in the game atm.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Caps is solid, Preds is solid, but I'm amazed with what Dudley has already gotten done in Florida. That team was going no where with very few high end prospects/NHLers to show for it, other than Markstrom and a few others. Fast forward they now have guys like Gudbranson, Bjugstad, Repik, Howden, McFarland, Petrovic (who's declined a bit), Dadonov (who has impressed when I've watched him this year), Ellerby, etc. Florida, imo, has turned their long term prospects around more than anyone in the past 2 years.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Caps is solid, Preds is solid, but I'm amazed with what Dudley has already gotten done in Florida. That team was going no where with very few high end prospects/NHLers to show for it, other than Markstrom and a few others. Fast forward they now have guys like Gudbranson, Bjugstad, Repik, Howden, McFarland, Petrovic (who's declined a bit), Dadonov (who has impressed when I've watched him this year), Ellerby, etc. Florida, imo, has turned their long term prospects around more than anyone in the past 2 years.

Dudley works with Atlanta and has no been a part of the Florida scouting department for a long time. Perhap you meant Tallon?

The team without very few high end prospects except Markstrom? You do realize Dadonov, Repik and Ellerby were all drafted before him? So that sort of contradicts the first phrase.

Florida has a strong prospect system right now, but it has its issues and it lacks top end talent at F IMO.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
For Nashville up front you forgot Wilson who had a goal + an assist tonight and is at 21 points this year (10 goals) on pace for a 20 goal sophmore season on not the most offensive team.

I actually really like Wilson and hope he can develop into a consistent top-six center in this league. Fast hands and big body. But I don't consider him a prospect anymore, as he played quite a bit last season as well.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
Dudley works with Atlanta and has no been a part of the Florida scouting department for a long time. Perhap you meant Tallon?

The team without very few high end prospects except Markstrom? You do realize Dadonov, Repik and Ellerby were all drafted before him? So that sort of contradicts the first phrase.

Florida has a strong prospect system right now, but it has its issues and it lacks top end talent at F IMO.

Florida itself is in such a rut.

I agree that they really lack a true top-end forward.

Dadonov and Repik are more of the same of Olesz, Frolik, etc.. In other words - average, skilled top-six talent. Howden is an average scoring prospect. Upside second-line powerforward.

Brickley, MacFarland, Shore, Bjugstad, etc.. should develop into good two-way guys, but probably not arrive at a position further advanced than what Matthias is in; a solid 3rd line guy who can step up to the top-six temporarily.

Gudbranson looks a pretty solid guy, but should develop into no more than a mid-pairing two-way man. Garrison, Robak, Ellerby, Comrie, Petrovic, etc.. are all average, bottom-pairing prospects.

Markstrom does project highly, although is struggling in the A.

Really I'd say the guys who truly stand out are only Gudbranson and Markstrom. Pretty mediocre. Florida needs to have a good draft this year, as forward is extremely lacking; not to mention this upcoming draft doesn't look too great.

Man I'm so negative wow... Haha..

Kulikov pick looks good.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Florida itself is in such a rut.

I agree that they really lack a true top-end forward.

Dadonov and Repik are more of the same of Olesz, Frolik, etc.. In other words - average, skilled top-six talent. Howden is an average scoring prospect. Upside second-line powerforward.

Brickley, MacFarland, Shore, Bjugstad, etc.. should develop into good two-way guys, but probably not arrive at a position further advanced than what Matthias is in; a solid 3rd line guy who can step up to the top-six temporarily.

Gudbranson looks a pretty solid guy, but should develop into no more than a mid-pairing two-way man. Garrison, Robak, Ellerby, Comrie, Petrovic, etc.. are all average, bottom-pairing prospects.

Markstrom does project highly, although is struggling in the A.

Really I'd say the guys who truly stand out are only Gudbranson and Markstrom. Pretty mediocre. Florida needs to have a good draft this year, as forward is extremely lacking; not to mention this upcoming draft doesn't look too great.

Man I'm so negative wow... Haha..

Kulikov pick looks good.

Florida and its fans have a marriage defined by violence, affairs and impotency. I can't tell you how much i ******* hate being a Florida fan!

But you are being a touch harsh. I'd say Bjugstad and Shore have pretty sizeable upside. I wasn't a great fan of the Howden pick at the time, but i think some scoring upside is definitely there. Brickley is a project, but the other guys you mention, all have better pro upside than Matthias.

Calling Ellerby, Petrovic, Robak and Garrisson bottom Pairing prospects is also negative hyperbole. I'd wager 1 or 2 of those guys will go on to be good 2nd Pairing guys. Gudbranson projects better than a middle pairing guy ; he isn't going to be an elite two way D and is a reach at 3 for sure, but you are again underselling him.

I wouldn't bunch Frolik and Olesz together. In 38 games, Frolik is 4 pts away from reaching Olesz's career high totals. Olesz is nowhere close to a Top 6 player.

There is ALOT of depth in the system. What we need is a truely elite Forward prospect.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
I don't think you can really count varly in the group. He already had been a big part of their team in the past and coming into the year, he was gonna be the starter. Ill give you neuvy tho.
Either way, a very nice group. I think the isles have a pretty solid group of youngsters too though.

Goal:
Kevin Poulin
Mikko Koskinen
Anders Nilsson

Defense:
Travis Hamonic
Calvin de Haan
Matt Donovan
Blake Kessel
Mark Katic
Aaron Ness

Forwards:
El'Nino
Brock Nelson
Kirill Petrov
Kirill Kabanov
Anders Lee
Casey Cizikas
Jason Gregoire
Rhett Rhakshani

They also added Wishhart but I was going from before the season started. Also, this is just off the top of my head, I may have omitted some peeps. Andrew Macdonald has turned into a real solid dman but I wouldn't say he's a prospect as he played a ton last year.
Sure there's a bunch of question marks, but that's what prospects are. I like the talent pool, esp since 3 yrs ago they had literally nada.

:shakehead Way to name every player in the Isles organization not in the NHL. It is an average prospect pool with 3 standouts. When you sucks forever you are bound to get a couple decent prospects.

Thank you.

the caps sucked for a while too

the isles have an amazing prospect pool that i would not trade for any one else's

:shakehead

This website, although very useful and informative, leads all fan bases to believe that their respective prospect crop is among the strongest in the league.

On that note, I think the Caps probably have one of the strongest prospect crops in the league.

A clear case of what has happened here.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Well, I expect a serious decline in their ranking.

However, if they're going to get to just pluck the Russian gems because most clubs are too afraid to get them, they won't stay that far down for long.

Ovechkin is their transfer agreement.

GMGM has certainly done well with his late firsts.

This is a very good point, One of the reasons Caps prospect pool looks so good is that they pick Russians, Russians are usually good value picks as if they were North American they'd probably be picked 10 places higher maybe more in some cases.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
:shakehead Way to name every player in the Isles organization not in the NHL. It is an average prospect pool with 3 standouts. When you sucks forever you are bound to get a couple decent prospects.

While I agree with the bolded, the Isles have more than 3 standouts. I fully expect Petrov to play in the NHL and play at a high level. A steady 50-70 points is not out of the question if on a line with JT. Donovan was a rock during the WJC last year, and has played will in his Freshman year at Denver, while a long term project he has a lot of upside. Brock Nelson... idk. Kabanov has the talent no doubt, question is if he can put it all together. Poulin is a great goalie and should do well against the Avs tonight (I believe hes getting the start). DeHann and Hamonic need no introduction, same with Nino.

Lets also not forget that AMac STILL has yet to play 82 games in the NHL and is on his way to becoming a star. Yes, a star. I dare anyone here to focus on this guy for a game (or a few) and not come away impressed.

The Islanders have some great prospects, even if not at the Capitals level just yet. (We'll add Larsson or Couturier soon. :help:)

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI

Right. I named everyone not in the nhl. Maybe you don't follow prospects, maybe you do. I couldn't care less to be honest. However, I named mostly 1st rd picks and kids who played in the wjc. You can question katic & ness (undersized, quick dmen) , as well as gregoire & rhett (both kids who developed in college). The kirills are wildcards. Both have immense talent, so itd be foolish to leave them off any list of isles prospects. Nilsson has a GAA under 2 in the SEL, Poulin I don't need to explain(or maybe I do?) & mikko is a high pick who is still raw.
As for the isles sucking so long they're bound to have a few good prospects, that's obviously not the case. Before okposo, who was the isles last "good one"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad