Post-Game Talk: Caps Preds 8:00 the return of the nisky

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
You would think we’ve had Scotty Bowman, Joel Quenville, and Mike Babcock give it a try. One season of Dale Hunter and Adam Oates should not count. So essentially we are talking about one coach, Boudreau. A guy who had a lesser defense here in Washington and has failed miserably when it counts on his two other teams.

I know most people loved Boudreau. To me he ruined a lot of players. The "Young Guns" never learned a disciplined structured game. They won with more talent based on great individual effort in spite of the coaching. And it hurt then in the long run. Hunter did as much any other coach did with this team. And if you ask me he did it will less talent then Boudreau or Trotz.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
regardless of outcome, they still 3 points back of division lead. imagine what will happen when they finally wake up?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
The Caps are a mediocre team, I can forgive them for not playing well. Most importantly for me, they're boring. They don't look like they're having fun playing hockey

How it looks to me, too. I don’t even get angry watching the games anymore. I still tune in, out of lifelong habit and mild curiosity. But there isn’t much to get excited about.

We were lucky to beat Edmonton the other night. And tonight we were outclassed.

There are isolated bright spots this year, like Eller and, recently, Stephenson. But overall the team doesn’t look very impressive or cohesive.

I hope we make the playoffs. But i won’t be overly surprised if we don’t.

I’m glad 8 is getting his goals this year. But his line getting pinned in own end is turning into glaring, persistent problem.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
First 4 goals, 4 deflections **** (btw, are preds fans the most stupid in the league? or should I say the most robotised, serenading a goalie after a deflection:shakehead). I'm very happy our fans don't do that, (or like once a year.)
4th and 6th goals, should never been scored and the Caps should have been on PP both times. (+ it seems like the first one too, just saw the tweet.)

THE shift (or should I say THE 2 shifts) by the 3rd and 4th lines, and then Chiasson scores, it was amazing.
The 3rd goal was amazing too. All 3 players on that line, made a good play.

Edit: After reading this thread, I understand that this team is on the same level as Arizona. The same team which 5 days ago beat the back to back champs with a 60 minute effort. With a little bit of luck, we could finish this game, with at least a point.
Need to calm down guys.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
This road to nowhere should have been changed 2 games ago with a Carlson trade (in the 2nd period). Told you.
Carlson has more points than Nick Backstrom right now and has one less goal than both Backstrom and Kuznetsov. Yeah Carlson's the problem that needs to be jettisoned out of here.:sarcasm:

Reactions: maacoshark

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
That was like watching a JV versus Varsity game. The Predators looked so much faster and passed the puck extremely well. We are not in the top tier of teams anymore and this game just reminds us of how good we were last year.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Carlson has more points than Nick Backstrom right now and has one less goal than both Backstrom and Kuznetsov. Yeah Carlson's the problem that needs to be jettisoned out of here.:sarcasm:

That's the point. Caps have soon to be UFA player that's considered like a very good asset? Trade him while the price is high.

That's not my opinion, but some people like it.

My personal stance is that they should either start a rebuild now while they have pieces to trade (this is where Carlson trade sarcasm comes from) or let Ovi and his buddy Backstrom play until they want out (keeping them for the sake of... nostalgie? or dollars?).

There are many guys here who think that second path is not going to net Caps the Cup. Ted can still try to get some money out of Ovechkin... because it's worth to do from the business standpoint.

So there is a feeling of doom certainly.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I know most people loved Boudreau. To me he ruined a lot of players. The "Young Guns" never learned a disciplined structured game. They won with more talent based on great individual effort in spite of the coaching. And it hurt then in the long run. Hunter did as much any other coach did with this team. And if you ask me he did it will less talent then Boudreau or Trotz.

I think this is the popular myth. I don’t buy that he ruined them....they are what they are and the coach doesn’t appear to matter as we cycle through multiple coaches....with probably a few more to go. I feel like this position just scapegoats coach after coach, giving the players a pass because “someone one else broke them”.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No bueno: http://hockeyviz.com/static/img/league/recentDescriptive/1718/shotPlot-25-5v5-cor.png

Unless goaltending stands out its head, it's hard to see how they win consistently. Special teams has to be great as well if that's the sort of team they are when healthy. Niskanen & Burakovsky will help but I'm not sure it's enough to flip them to the right side of that line. Even if they do I don't think they become a contender with 92/19 playing so soft/timid.

Nashville is a legit contender and did a lot of good things putting pucks on net and with some tips but it's hard to win with this sort of territorial disadvantage. The first and fourth lines are real issues and the second line is too slow to be great against stronger teams. IMO it's going to be telling whether they'll improve their possession at all with Niskanen back. You'd think they would but they seem way more off than one when attacking most nights. Can Trotz improve their cohesion or will it be a constant rearranging of the deck chairs?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I think BB gave Ovechkin too much freedom and he never held Semin and Green accountable but how do you explain the fact that Backstrom evolved into a strong two-way player and a disciplined player?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think BB gave Ovechkin too much freedom and he never held Semin and Green accountable but how do you explain the fact that Backstrom evolved into a strong two-way player and a disciplined player?

I’m sure the answer will be 19 developed DESPITE any coaching. ;)

You know why Ovy may have had too much freedom? Because coaches who conflict with their Superstar franchise player usually don’t last long.

Semin....I mean who could really hold him accountable as Ovy’s best friend?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No bueno: http://hockeyviz.com/static/img/league/recentDescriptive/1718/shotPlot-25-5v5-cor.png

Unless goaltending stands out its head, it's hard to see how they win consistently. Special teams has to be great as well if that's the sort of team they are when healthy. Niskanen & Burakovsky will help but I'm not sure it's enough to flip them to the right side of that line. Even if they do I don't think they become a contender with 92/19 playing so soft/timid.

Nashville is a legit contender and did a lot of good things putting pucks on net and with some tips but it's hard to win with this sort of territorial disadvantage. The first and fourth lines are real issues and the second line is too slow to be great against stronger teams. IMO it's going to be telling whether they'll improve their possession at all with Niskanen back. You'd think they would but they seem way more off than one when attacking most nights. Can Trotz improve their cohesion or will it be a constant rearranging of the deck chairs?

Preds play a simple game....they refuse to NOT shoot while the Caps refuse TO shoot. 7.8 mil a year for a guy who refuses to shoot is going to be tough to take for 7+ more years.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I thought the problem last night was blocked shots, not an unwillingness to shoot. If anything they looked like they needed to be more selective with their shot attempts.
Caps had the same problem last week vs Buffalo, I give credit to the Sabres for blocking whatever came their way, Caps just didn't adjust enough.
This team's compete level, and lack of urgency, is my main gripe. If the effort is there and we lose, then we tried. Build on the positives and look at why this team is having problems, and move on to the next game. Lately, the effort and energy of this team has been sorely lacking. It could be the right coach and the wrong players, or the right players but the wrong coach. Boudreau played to the strengths of his roster, his players were more offensively talented, he let them play that way. The current roster, I believe, is not best suited for Trotz sytem, the talent is there, it's just isn't allowed to show.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Stephenson on PP2 per Isabelle, taking over for Vrana.

Not opposed to this move at all. They need a bit of a playmaker, Stephenson has played well, and it’s not like PP2 can get any worse.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How it looks to me, too. I don’t even get angry watching the games anymore. I still tune in, out of lifelong habit and mild curiosity. But there isn’t much to get excited about.

We were lucky to beat Edmonton the other night. And tonight we were outclassed.

There are isolated bright spots this year, like Eller and, recently, Stephenson. But overall the team doesn’t look very impressive or cohesive.

I hope we make the playoffs. But i won’t be overly surprised if we don’t.

I’m glad 8 is getting his goals this year. But his line getting pinned in own end is turning into glaring, persistent problem.
Eller has played fairly well. He has taken aloit of dumb penalties though. He has also had some bad turnovers trying to go cross ice. He has also been up and down in the faceoff circle. He has still been one of our better players. Stephenson has been a pleasant surprise. Not a flashy player but playing smart and not making many errors.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Stephenson on PP2 per Isabelle, taking over for Vrana.

Not opposed to this move at all. They need a bit of a playmaker, Stephenson has played well, and it’s not like PP2 can get any worse.
I really have no problem with that. Stephenson has earned it. I'd still like to see him kill some penalties. I know he is a very good penalty killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad