• Nicklas Bäckström

• T.J. Oshie

• Tom Wilson

• other option

Results are only viewable after voting.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Let's say Carlson, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Vrana are locks on the PP1 unit. Who matches better with them?

Some stats from the 2019/20 season:

Player5 vs 4 PP IPP
John Carlson78.95
Evgeny Kuznetsov70.59
Dmitry Orlov62.5
Nicklas Backstrom60
Jakub Vrana58.33
Travis Boyd50
Brendan Leipsic50
Lars Eller44.44
Alex Ovechkin41.67
T.J. Oshie38.89
Tom Wilson37.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Last night Vrana was in Backstrom's normal spot down low and Vrana was in Kuzy's old spot along the boards. Then the 2nd unit was Eller-Kuzy-Wilson with Eller down low, Wilson in Oshie's spot, and Kuzy in his spot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let's say Carlson, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Vrana are locks on the PP1 unit. Who matches better with them?

Some stats from the 2019/20 season:

Player5 vs 4 PP IPP
John Carlson78.95
Evgeny Kuznetsov70.59
Dmitry Orlov62.5
Nicklas Backstrom60
Jakub Vrana58.33
Travis Boyd50
Brendan Leipsic50
Lars Eller44.44
Alex Ovechkin41.67
T.J. Oshie38.89
Tom Wilson37.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

As Kuznetsov is off pp1 I am not sure how you project him as a lock. In the end it will be what it has been. 19, 92, 77, 74, 8

Reactions: Heath

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
What's PP IPP? Might be worth pulling some more stats to assist this convo if you want to discuss that

PP IPP is the Power Play Individual Point Percentage, a smart stat and is much like on-ice save percentage for defensemen: https://www.tsn.ca/individual-point...-apply-it-and-how-gms-can-exploit-it-1.350670

In other words the higher PP IPP is the better player is on the PP1 unit. The lower PP IPP is, the more useless and trash player is on the PP1 unit.

Smart stats from last three years:

PlayerPP IPP 2017-2020RANK
Jakub Vrana71.43GOOD PP PLAYER
John Carlson70.87GOOD PP PLAYER
Evgeny Kuznetsov62.5GOOD PP PLAYER
Alex Ovechkin56.64OK PP PLAYER
Dmitry Orlov55.56OK PP PLAYER
Lars Eller54.55BAD PP PLAYER
Nicklas Backstrom53.68BAD PP PLAYER
Tom Wilson46.67TERRIBLE PP PLAYER
T.J. Oshie42.22TERRIBLE PP PLAYER
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
PP IPP is the Power Play Individual Point Percentage, a smart stat and is much like on-ice save percentage for defensemen: https://www.tsn.ca/individual-point...-apply-it-and-how-gms-can-exploit-it-1.350670

In other words the higher PP IPP is the better player is on the PP1 unit. The lower PP IPP is, the useless and trash player is on the PP1 unit.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Thanks for explaining - have to say though that you definitely need to augment this with other stats if this metric says that Ovechkin is an "OK PP player".

I'm guessing that looking at points skewed things as he's there to score goals and presumably gets fewer assists as a result

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

In other words the higher PP IPP is the better player is on the PP1 unit. The lower PP IPP is, the useless and trash player is on the PP1 unit.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Here's what's interesting. Oshie and Wilson, Eller and Backstrom, Ovechkin and Orlov, same spots, similar %s. Vrana and Kuzy, larger difference there, that's where they think if they make a change it will improve PP. May have to dig deeper in Wilson v Oshie.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

In other words the higher PP IPP is the better player is on the PP1 unit. The lower PP IPP is, the more useless and trash player is on the PP1 unit.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

your stat has the greatest pp goal scorer as an ok pp performer. I immediately don’t hold value in your stats

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
It’s a lot of effort that is causing problems with the PP. Guys need to work harder

Sorry for butting in on the conversation. However...

The Pens would go through this problem as well when Kessel (surprise surprise) was part of the team. They still have to be creating advantageous situations in the offensive zone. It doesn’t matter how many skaters are on the ice (versus the other team) if guys aren’t willing to hustle. Also, I noticed the Caps’ PP looks lackadaisical at times (puck movement is too slow). Just my two cents.

Reactions: kicksavedave

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I think they have given up more short-handed goals than they have scored PP goals 5-on-4 since making that change to the PP1 unit.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Sorry for butting in on the conversation. However...

The Pens would go through this problem as well when Kessel (surprise surprise) was part of the team. They still have to be creating advantageous situations in the offensive zone. It doesn’t matter how many skaters are on the ice (versus the other team) if guys aren’t willing to hustle. Also, I noticed the Caps’ PP looks lackadaisical at times (puck movement is too slow). Just my two cents.

It's a really hit-or-miss PP based on the draw. If they lose the FO and the opposing team gets to clear, they struggle to get back into the zone because you don't see much effort on the PP. There is the puck carrier trying to dangle his way into the zone or dump-in where Oshie is the only guy hustling to get the puck, and most of the time his speed isn't enough. If they win the FO though they usually move the puck really well and can generate a very dangerous PP. But if they face a team that has one of the better face-off guys in the league come Playoff time they are bound to struggle on the PP, and that's a big cause of concern. I guess this is Reirden's way of trying to get the extra effort to show them that they don't have guaranteed PP1 spots but still they don't give nearly enough effort to generate consistently great PP.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yeah, I noticed it was way too easy for Carolina to kill off the penalty when they won the draw. Once they cleared the zone, they beat the Caps up in the ice and on zone entries. When the Caps won the draw and held onto the puck, though, it was your typical Caps PP.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I've said before of the Caps malaise that creeps in from time to time, when everyone is calling for TR or Forsythe to get fired or half the roster to be traded....

There is nothing broken on this team that isn't fixed with a normal level of effort. When the Caps struggle, PP or otherwise, it's only about their own effort. Not system, but scheme, just effort.

BHD nailed it. When they work harder they win, period. The NJ games recently prove this.

Reactions: BHD

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I've said before of the Caps malaise that creeps in from time to time, when everyone is calling for TR or Forsythe to get fired or half the roster to be traded....

There is nothing broken on this team that isn't fixed with a normal level of effort. When the Caps struggle, PP or otherwise, it's only about their own effort. Not system, but scheme, just effort.

BHD nailed it. When they work harder they win, period. The NJ games recently prove this.

Between december 1st and january 10th their PP has run at 13.7%, third-worst in the NHL through that span. 7 goals scored, and 3 shorthanded goals against. Something definitely was broken.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
50 days have passed.

Carlson, Ovechkin, Vrana and Kuznetsov are locks. Who to make them score again?

Take out two passangers and find the one who solves the PP problem. Kovaltchuk? Wilson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->