News Article: Caps Owner Ted Leonsis, Penguins Conspiracy Theorist

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
:laugh:

And I’m sitting there watching this powerful, rich, famous guy with my jaw dropped. “Why do you care what I write?†I say when I think he’s done. “You’re Ted Leonsis!†Turns out he wasn’t done. Ted then calls me over to sit by him at his desk and starts clicking his mouse to show me lots of game videos he’d stored on his computer that prove that the NHL wants the Pittsburgh Penguins to win and the Capitals to lose. I was too giddy at what was taking place to retain much of what I was shown, but remember clips of hits by Caps, including Alex Ovechkin, that garnered NHL suspensions, alongside clips of similar hits by Penguins players on Ovechkin and others that went unpunished by the league. I also recall leaving his office thinking: 1)Ted knows his hockey 2)he’s as nice and interesting as I’d figured, and 3)Holy mother of god he’s a big conspiracy guy!

http://deadspin.com/the-time-ted-leonsis-invited-me-over-to-show-how-the-nh-1795738490

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
There are some things that, even if believed, one should feel embarrassed to admit just by the sound of the idea. He has to post here...

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
This fixation on us isn't healthy and probably keeps them from winning and makes me very happy

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I don't know which one is more pathetic owner, Eugene Melnyk or Ted Leonsis, but both are big reasons why their teams haven't yet won anything.

HotDogPhil

Jun 7, 2016
This guy should be ashamed of himself. This.....wow. I'm disgusted that an owner of all people would be buying into this horse ****. No wonder his team are perennial chokers when this is the kind of atmosphere they are subjected to.

If I was a player on that team I would be hanging my head pretty low after hearing this garbage.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Given their history overall (only past the second round once I think despite being one of the better regular season teams most years), and especially against the Pens I almost give him a mulligan on this one.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
That was 2010? What does he think now. Yikes. It's not just the pens though Teddy..your boy's can't get out of the 2nd round against anyone it seems.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Let me guess the Penguins are to blame for trading Forsberg to Nashville for Erat as well?

****ing moron. Fits right in with all the other jackasses who believe this ****.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Many Hockey Owners seem dumber than normal sports team owners... hockey tries to corner the market on eccentric billionaires...lol

The pens wouldnt win so much if the Capitials didnt blow monkey chunks against them so much... the caps are the one team that has had a direct chance to derail every pens championship.... in every case they have not

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I seriously thought this was like theonion or something. Is this a serious article? Or am I just a fool?

So I guess I have to ask.... this can't be serious, right? This is a satire article?

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's his own fault for turning Ovechkin into a marketing gimmick. If Ovechkin was half the player he was when he came into the league, Leonsis would have his ring by now.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
I don't know which one is more pathetic owner, Eugene Melnyk or Ted Leonsis, but both are big reasons why their teams haven't yet won anything.

When some of the actual owners are akin to the worst posters here it's no wonder the NHL has issues.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
I seriously thought this was like theonion or something. Is this a serious article? Or am I just a fool?

So I guess I have to ask.... this can't be serious, right? This is a satire article?

Although in a normal world it could be safely assumed this is an obvious over-the-top satire, unfortunately this is the world through the eyes of a delusional billionaire atop the chain of a dysfunctional organization, so anything and everything is possible.

This is very real... and very scary. I can't imagine what levels he has reached in the 7 years since...especially the last 2.

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
that franchise is one giant turd from top to bottom

All DC teams are. Starts from their horrible owners and trickles down. Mr Rooney would go down to the locker room and congratulate the other team when the Steelers lost. Ted has clips from 7 years ago on a laptop comparing hits by the Caps/Pens. Levels to this.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This is a prime example of why I wanted to win game 7 more than any game in a long time.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
Really weird to write this story 7 years later. Also, if the extent of Ted's rant was that Ovie got suspended for hits that the Pens got away with it's not much of a story imho

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
The idea that floats around out there that Gary Bettman and the NHL are risking a $4.1 billion industry by orchestrating some grand connivance to show favoritism towards Pittsburgh is so absurd that it's hard to imagine grown adults suggesting it.

If the NHL were to show favoritism towards a franchise, what would possess them to show favoritism towards the 26th most populated metropolitan area in the United States and the 153rd wealthiest per capita?

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
the last 12 months have really made it clear to me what a loser that organization is. even worse than I thought. Sure have a lot of whiny teams and fans in the division. That's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->